The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Don't over pay for a 3rd line pest/enforcer. I'd rather give McEwen or a young person a shot. 

I agree. 

Don't spend assets on this guy - and I think it's pretty clear from  Benning's interview that he has no interest in mortgaging future assets to add a player like this at this point....so I think the rumours are at least 50% bullshizz.

I like McEwen....I'm not sure he'll be a top 6 in the NHL - but you never know until you know.  Gadjovich isn't having a great rookie AHL season, but that doesn't preclude anything either.

I think Ferland is a guy that you entertain if he wants to play here - if he's interested in signing in free agency - wants a shot to play on EP's wing (has to earn it) or likes the idea of being in this market, and willing to sign at reasonable terms - in which case it's a maybe for me.  I share people's caution about his longer term durability given the kind of game he plays - and I don't really consider him an enforcer or deterrent - but think his aggressiveness, forecheck, game in the hard areas could create a lot of time and space for EP and Boeser.

The first few years could make for a pretty good fit...but ideally you develop your own guys to suit this role.  

4 minutes ago, KKnight said:

What I'm trying to say is he isn't useless. He is a smart player. Just not offensively gifted, unless there's rebounds in front of the net. 

Oh no need to defend Loui to me. I like the guy and think he is rather useful.  I've said 2 years in a row he'd bounce back to 20 goals....I've been wrong but still like him far more than most ;)

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I agree. 

Don't spend assets on this guy - and I think it's pretty clear from  Benning's interview that he has no interest in mortgaging future assets to add a player like this at this point....so I think the rumours are at least 50% bullshizz.

I like McEwen....I'm not sure he'll be a top 6 in the NHL - but you never know until you know.  Gadjovich isn't having a great rookie AHL season, but that doesn't preclude anything either.

I think Ferland is a guy that you entertain if he wants to play here - if he's interested in signing in free agency - wants a shot to play on EP's wing (has to earn it) or likes the idea of being in this market, and willing to sign at reasonable terms - in which case it's a maybe for me.  I share people's caution about his longer term durability given the kind of game he plays - and I don't really consider him an enforcer or deterrent - but think his aggressiveness, forecheck, game in the hard areas could create a lot of time and space for EP and Boeser.

The first few years could make for a pretty good fit...but ideally you develop your own guys to suit this role.  

All i know, is our defense is horrendous and HAS to be addressed this offseason. Hughes is very exciting. Juolevi, still has potential to be a top 4. But that right side after Woo, is hurting for certain. Jim needs to make bold moves this offseason, for impact players, Not projects.

8 minutes ago, KKnight said:

All i know, is our defense is horrendous and HAS to be addressed this offseason. Hughes is very exciting. Juolevi, still has potential to be a top 4. But that right side after Woo, is hurting for certain. Jim needs to make bold moves this offseason, for impact players, Not projects.

But it's easy to make a shopping list - which isn't really even a list, but a note to go shopping.

What 'impact' players are on this list though, and what are you going to give up for them?

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

But it's easy to make a shopping list - which isn't really even a list, but a note to go shopping.

What 'impact' players are on this list though, and what are you going to give up for them?

Well there is no way we get an impact D without selling the farm. Unless Karlsson is there in UFA, but do you want to pay 10 million per for him?

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

Well there is no way we get an impact D without selling the farm. Unless Karlsson is there in UFA, but do you want to pay 10 million per for him?

Karlsson has really come into his own after a rocky start with San Jose. Guy is near a PPG. I am hesitant to give him bank. 10mil maybe, but I think he wants closer to Doughty dollars, that's 11mil if I recall correctly. That's too rich for my blood.

The question you gotta ask yourself, or more specifically Benning, is how soon into that 7 year deal will this team really be competing for a Cup? Cause I'd say the first 3-4 years for sure he'd very likely be worth 11. Once he hits 32-33 you start to worry about the ankle and any other injuries he's had. Then you have 3-4 years of a one legged D-man and our window shortens cause of cap constraints and his ability to impact the game being much less than we hoped. 7 year deal on a guy that'll be 29 in May. I flip flop on whether or not I'd do the gamble.

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Karlsson has really come into his own after a rocky start with San Jose. Guy is near a PPG. I am hesitant to give him bank. 10mil maybe, but I think he wants closer to Doughty dollars, that's 11mil if I recall correctly. That's too rich for my blood.

The question you gotta ask yourself, or more specifically Benning, is how soon into that 7 year deal will this team really be competing for a Cup? Cause I'd say the first 3-4 years for sure he'd very likely be worth 11. Once he hits 32-33 you start to worry about the ankle and any other injuries he's had. Then you have 3-4 years of a one legged D-man and our window shortens cause of cap constraints and his ability to impact the game being much less than we hoped. 7 year deal on a guy that'll be 29 in May. I flip flop on whether or not I'd do the gamble.

I don't see him coming here. He can make more money playing in a non traditional hockey market. It would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Well... you're hoping in like 4-5 years time, the Canucks would be able to develop another defenseman to compliment Karlsson to shoulder some of the load.  

At that point EK can be more focused as the 2nd pairing defenseman, more time on the PP and less on the PK.  

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Well... you're hoping in like 4-5 years time, the Canucks would be able to develop another defenseman to compliment Karlsson to shoulder some of the load.  

At that point EK can be more focused as the 2nd pairing defenseman, more time on the PP and less on the PK.  

At 11 million dollars a year, I don't expect him to ever be a 2nd pairing dman for the duration of the contract.

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Considering we are a bubble wild card team now, I think adding a #1 dman will at the very least get us into the playoffs. Once you're in the playoffs, you never know what happens. I think because we are on the brink of being a playoff team, it would be ideal for Karlsson to come here as we could be a playoff team for his contract duration and depending on how we are drafting or using our assets, it can continue or we start another rebuild at that point. It would give Karlsson a good chance every year to compete until he retires IMO. But I also understand why he wouldn't want to come here with the idiotic media questions.

14 hours ago, xereau said:

Are you from the future?

...just observe how Ferland plays....injury prone, was allowed to charge the Canuck players in the playoffs (his playoff performance is what people are hanging their hats on).

...talk to Flames fans, and you will find out the value and quality he brings....similar to JV with the disappearing act.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, Alflives said:

I think Jake is a better hockey player than Ferland.  Jake is 22, but a young 22.  He's only now maturing emotionally and understanding his physical body.  I agree that is the player Carolina should expect in return though.  Jake would be definite coveted by a lot of teams.  Guys like Jake, who are big, tough, talented, and can fly, are very rare.  Ferland is good, but I think Jake's upside is higher.  Ferland, right now, has a higher floor though. 

could have picked MT...and had a lot better player than Ferland and JV combined...lol.

Still have hope for OJ, after 3 to 4 long years of waiting....

On 1/23/2019 at 12:28 PM, smokes said:

Goldie isn't going to cut it and Lind is pretty much a C level prospect. If they are in the deal then I would picture Carolina asking for a first round draft pick, which is pretty much a non starter. I hope Dahlen gets a chance with the Canucks. Just the fact that he and Petey were best friends and played growing up together is too tantalizing a prospect for instant chemistry to not give it a chance.

...are you a Leaf fan, Lind will play for the Canucks when he is ready....and that will be in a year or two. He's a good player. He will be better than Ferland. 

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

...are you a Leaf fan, Lind will play for the Canucks when he is ready....and that will be in a year or two. He's a good player. He will be better than Ferland. 

Not a Leafs fan just think a lot of prospects jumped ahead of him in the depth chart.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:31 AM, canucksnihilist said:

Im not sold on Ferland.  Power forwards have a tendency to tail off at 30.  Could be our Lucic.

I see the need... but would rather get a younger version somehow.  

JB drafted Gadjovich and Try might be coming back in two years...(may be a little patience is needed)...I think a concussed, injury prone player shouldn't be in the plans...they need to work on the pack mentality and team toughness aspect, and make better use of the players they brought in to address the team toughness (Gudbranson, Roussell, Beagle, JV,etc.)...If anything, they need another defensively sound tough dman that can move the puck....like Try.

Archived