The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

8 minutes ago, smokes said:

Not a Leafs fan just think a lot of prospects jumped ahead of him in the depth chart.

he (Lind) was injured for a month and a half with Utica, he is starting to play better...just need to be patience....takes a while to get back into game shape...it seems all the highly touted prospects have struggled in their first year in the AHL....the team has moved some vets out and these prospects will get more TOI in the second half of the season. We will get a better idea come end of season where Lind, Gadjo, Dahlen, MacEwen are at...they are in the right league (a development league)...Canucks are doing the right thing in developing them in a development league, rather than rushing them in like they had to do with JV and McCann.

Lind is a keeper.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

he (Lind) was injured for a month and a half with Utica, he is starting to play better...just need to be patience....takes a while to get back into game shape...it seems all the highly touted prospects have struggled in their first year in the AHL....the team has moved some vets out and these prospects will get more TOI in the second half of the season. We will get a better idea come end of season where Lind, Gadjo, Dahlen, MacEwen are at...they are in the right league (a development league)...Canucks are doing the right thing in developing them in a development league, rather than rushing them in like they had to do with JV and McCann.

Lind is a keeper.

I don't want to trade Lind, I just don't think Lind is really high on Carolina's trade list even if the Canucks offered him. That's why I said the only thing that will probably get this done is JV for Ferland.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

I don't want to trade Lind, I just don't think Lind is really high on Carolina's trade list even if the Canucks offered him. That's why I said the only thing that will probably get this done is JV for Ferland.

Yeah, that would be a hockey trade....it would be tempting. A little bit of the grass is greener on the other side (may be) scenario. A little patience with JV or may be he has been given a good opportunity already...and he is what he is. It is hard to say...

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Don't over pay for a 3rd line pest/enforcer. I'd rather give McEwen or a young person a shot. 

thanks for the input (lol)....this is the way to go...promote within, and build the team through the draft...now that some of these draft picks are coming of age (before, they were too young, now they are growing some whiskers).

41 minutes ago, Pete M said:

could have picked MT...and had a lot better player than Ferland and JV combined...lol.

Still have hope for OJ, after 3 to 4 long years of waiting....

... and then likely no Pettersson. Can't have it both ways ;)

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, that would be a hockey trade....it would be tempting. A little bit of the grass is greener on the other side (may be) scenario. A little patience with JV or may be he has been given a good opportunity already...and he is what he is. It is hard to say...

There has been a lot of patience with Virtanen but honestly I don't see any progress from him whatsoever. It's like the JV last year and the JV this year is pretty much the same player with minimal improvement. He shows flashes for a game or two which gets everyone's hopes up then goes back to being a servicable NHL player. My fear is that this is probably the most that we can get for Jake because he is still young but when the Dahlens and the Lind's come up JV will be worth a late round draft pick.

Just now, aGENT said:

idk, the future isn't that predictable...it could also have been a final destination scenario, where EP40 would have been a Canuck regardless...because if MT was picked, the past wouldn't be the past and we may or may not have EP40....it's not a fore sure thing....so I can't agree or disagree with your statement.

4 minutes ago, smokes said:

There has been a lot of patience with Virtanen but honestly I don't see any progress from him whatsoever. It's like the JV last year and the JV this year is pretty much the same player with minimal improvement. He shows flashes for a game or two which gets everyone's hopes up then goes back to being a servicable NHL player. My fear is that this is probably the most that we can get for Jake because he is still young but when the Dahlens and the Lind's come up JV will be worth a late round draft pick.

I agree...I watched him play with the Hitman and he is the same player then as he is now.....I believe that he is no Cam Neely...I would sell high on him.

48 minutes ago, Pete M said:

could have picked MT...and had a lot better player than Ferland and JV combined...lol.

Still have hope for OJ, after 3 to 4 long years of waiting....

We could have picked Glass. We could have picked Nuchushkin. At the time we picked the position we needed the most, and had our pick of all the D 8n the draft. Olli was always a project, and so far while things haven't gone ideal, he is is developing well. I still think a top 4 D is more valuable then a top 6 forward. It's just unfortunate MT developed into a first line winger.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Linden, Benning and WD all admitted that it was a mistake to have kept McCann and Virtanen on the team - 2015/16 was their draft+2.  It's unlikely that they would have kept Tkachuk on the team for his draft+1 coming off their experience with Virtanen/McCann, so the standings wouldn't have changed for the 2017 draft.  

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

idk, the future isn't that predictable...it could also have been a final destination scenario, where EP40 would have been a Canuck regardless...because if MT was picked, the past wouldn't be the past and we may or may not have EP40....it's not a fore sure thing....so I can't agree or disagree with your statement.

I'd say it's pretty likely. YMMV.

Besides, it's no more a waste of time and energy than the captain hindsighting you continuously harp on about with something that can't be undone. Be happy we have Pettersson AND a solid, much needed, top 4 D prospect (who's unfortunately had some bad injury luck thus far) and quit crying over spilled milk and sour grapes for not drafting 'your guy'.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Linden, Benning and WD all admitted that it was a mistake to have kept McCann and Virtanen on the team - 2015/16 was their draft+2.  It's unlikely that they would have kept Tkachuk on the team for his draft+1 coming off their experience with Virtanen/McCann, so the standings wouldn't have changed for the 2017 draft.  

You can in no way make that correlation. They're individuals players with individual abilities and readiness.

But if we're going to keep playing this game, I doubt we'd have picked Tkachuck regardless, Don't think we had any interest in him.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'd say it's pretty likely. YMMV.

Besides, it's no more a waste of time and energy than the captain hindsighting you continuously harp on about with something that can't be undone. Be happy we have Pettersson AND a solid, much needed, top 4 D prospect (who's unfortunately had some bad injury luck thus far) and quit crying over spilled milk and sour grapes for not drafting 'your guy'.

as long as the homers keep it real about MT, then I will remain silent...lol

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You can in no way make that correlation. They're individuals players with individual abilities and readiness.

But if we're going to keep playing this game, I doubt we'd have picked Tkachuck regardless, Don't think we had any interest in him.

I don't think there was any interest either.  Still with how they talked about having made a mistake I don't think they would have added a teenager.  

...he is a very good player and is benefiting Calgary big time....hind sight, we should have picked him because it was the obvious choice...even at the time....so it wasn't even hind sight....he was there for the taking and my team passed on him...that's keeping it real...and he his not a POS.

....I'll keep talking about, if you keep ignoring facts about him...

Keep what 'real'?...SMH

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

...he is a very good player and is benefiting Calgary big time....hind sight, we should have picked him because it was the obvious choice...even at the time....so it wasn't even hind sight....he was there for the taking and my team passed on him...that's keeping it real...and he his not a POS.

....I'll keep talking about, if you keep ignoring facts about him...

Keep what 'real'?...SMH

'Obvious choice' is very subjective. If I could see the future, I'd say McAvoy would be the 'obvious choice' over either of them at this point.

What 'facts' am I 'ignoring'?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

'Obvious choice' is very subjective. If I could see the future, I'd say McAvoy would be the 'obvious choice' over either of them at this point.

What 'facts' am I 'ignoring'?

nvm...if I have to explain it to you again, then you have already ignored his performance and stats during his last year of junior and during the MCF (Memorial Cup Final) and his play to date in the NHL....and he did it on a bad ankle during the MCF (2 pts per game and game winning goal in the final game...facts that are hard to ignore...but were ignored).

14 minutes ago, mll said:

I don't think there was any interest either.  Still with how they talked about having made a mistake I don't think they would have added a teenager.  

Like Pettersson this year? Many people were calling for him spending some time in the AHL as well to get used to North American ice, get bigger etc.

If you're ready, you play. I don't think you can remotely make a blanket statement like that because they happened to rush Virtanen/McCann. I also don't think they had much choice with Virtanen in particular. There was legitimate concerns about him stagnating on the Hitmen and no AHL option. Perhaps with hindsight they push for a junior trade or send him to Europe or something for a year instead but they were very much in a rock/hard place with regards to where to play/develop him.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

nvm...if I have to explain it to you again, then you have already ignored his performance and stats during his last year of junior and during the MCF (Memorial Cup Final) and his play to date in the NHL....and he did it on a bad ankle during the MCF (2 pts per game and game winning goal in the final game...facts that are hard to ignore...but were ignored).

I never said he was a bad hockey player... 

Again, what 'facts' am I 'ignoring'? 

I could counter with - Why are you ignoring OJ's stats in his draft year (or that he's had good stats/play both in Liiga and the AHL as well while developing)?

Fact is they both had very similar value at the draft and it was basically a toss up and not in fact 'obvious' who was better.  Tkachuck was the more NHL ready of the two and played a tough, NHL style game (which has been borne out) but had some concerns on his 'personality/attitude' and played the less valuable position. OJ always needed more development time but was lauded for his mental game and plays a more valuable position.

Both were good prospects

Seems I'm not the one ignoring things.

Archived