The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

I wouldn’t have an issue with acquiring Ferland, but I don’t want to pay up for what Carolina will inevitably come asking for with the likely bidding war going on for his services, especially considering he’s a FA after this year.

Word is that the Canes would easily consider moving Ferland because it is believed his agent has hinted he will be seeking a 'Wilson-type' contract when he becomes UFA this spring.    There's no way I'd give Ferland the money/term that Wilson got. 

40 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

He’s an Expiring UFA and they’re having a hard time coming to an agreement on a contract. Could be had for less than he’s worth if they’re desperate

Isn't that the case every trade deadline...yet the most stupid/overpayment trade are made at the trade deadline.   Highly doubt Ferland will be acquired at a rebate.

I'm not against acquiring a player like that, but we better be well secured in a playoff spot if we do.  Plus, usually there are 2 price to pay to acquire a player like that...first acquiring a young UFA that can be resigned is usually more expansive than an aging vet.  2nd to protect your investment you paid at the deadline, your almost obligated to re-sign him under his term or risk losing him for nothing.  IMO to acquire him we'll need to overpayment via trade and then overpay his contract.

Just go for him on July 1st if you really want him, even though the price will still be high.

36 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think he is worth Kesler type trade value. 

1st round pick

roster player

prospect

I could see 

Sutter, Goldobin, 2020 1st 

Maybe through in Tyramkins rights to seal the deal

:lol:

40-goal, Selke winning center under contract for 2 full seasons vs. 21-goal, injury-prone winger who is an impending UFA.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ferland, but not at these prices. And I think whoever signs him to big money into his 30's will probably regret it.

26 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think he is worth Kesler type trade value. 

1st round pick

roster player

prospect

I could see 

Sutter, Goldobin, 2020 1st 

Maybe through in Tyramkins rights to seal the deal

I agree Hurricanes would want - 1st rounder 2020, Goldy, Sutter

Ferland big power winger 6'2, 210 , 27 yrs April, should get 25 G-- 48 -54 points would be great with Pettersson.

Ferland would be asking for 5yr - ( 5.0 - 5.5 million) range

Also would like trading Goldy to Ottawa ----- Ceci 6'2 - 25  RFA this summer would be a good fit in Vancouver..

I really think Goldy will be involved in a trade at trade deadline...

We can't be signing to many contracts over 5.0 million..Don't want to be a team against cap....

Boser will be getting signed for 6yrs -- (6.5 - 7.0  million range) this summer...

I wonder if taking back Darling could be feasible ; would certainly bring the price down in theory. 2 more years after this one and his residual cap hit after burial is about 3 million although he does have a 15 team ntc that could complicate things.  Would give us some ,albeit pricey, veteran depth in goal too.  Probably a long shot.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting thought, but can we really outbid Edmonton for him? 

We certainly have more prospect and NHL depth to do so. Is Chia going to pull another Chia and vastly overpay and send RNH + Puljujarvi to CAR? I have no idea :lol:

And if he does, I doubt Ferland re-ups there and we can target him for July 1 with no assets given up ::D

Probably not in a trade and give up any serious assets.

Yes to chasing him in the offseason if he makes it to UFA.  Getting the chance to play on a first line with Pettersson and Boeser May be attractive to him.  He wouldn’t be expected to start stuff... just to finish it if an opponent starts it.

Caphit less than $2mil, can play up and down the lineup and would most likely complete our top line and give the unspoken intangible dimension we are lacking.

Plus his heritage ties in nicely with the 1st nations whale on the current jersey.

It's a no-brainer.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We certainly have more prospect and NHL depth to do so. Is Chia going to pull another Chia and vastly overpay and send RNH + Puljujarvi to CAR? I have no idea :lol:

And if he does, I doubt Ferland re-ups there and we can target him for July 1 with no assets given up ::D

yeah that would be fun to watch. 

Ferland would be a bit of a dumb over-purchase for them, they need a higher end scoring winger but who the heck knows what Chia will do. 

Carolina is a weird team. #1 in shots/gp, 27th GF.  They got no finish. Goldy sort of seems like more of the same problem they already have. 

Archived