The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

42 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

OJ's been kind of a bust but we all remain vigilant and hopeful he will play for us in 2-3 years.

he just hasn't been a prodigy. He's been on a more typical development path, thats all. We had ridiculously high hopes for that draft imo. 

47 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

OJ's been kind of a bust but we all remain vigilant and hopeful he will play for us in 2-3 years.

13 pts in 18 AHL games as a 20 yr old is anything but 'bust' production.

.7+ ppg for a rookie AHL D is actually extremely good production - and that's the only NA sample we have to go on.  He's still Utica's 2nd leading D scorer in those 18 games, so if we're making judgements on small samples, that's not 'bust' production - not even close.  It's better than a lot of hyped, older AHL D - and a better pace than the highly touted OD from his draft class, Jake Bean.  Is Bean already a  'bust' as well?  Bean is 10th in AHL scoring, the only rookie in the top 10 - with most guys above him considerably older....

Juolevi was also a .5ppg scorer as a teenager in the Finnish elite league.

Not sure what people are expecting but it's really premature to be sandbagging those results - particularly when he's not simply an offensive D - he's a versatile, very intelligent guy that logs two-way minutes.

54 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I feel like he was a Linden Pick a player that fitted his plans of a slow developing mythology. I have a hard time believing Benning had free range in drafting since arriving in 2014. 

The 2016 draft year seemed like very conservative picks. 

8 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

I feel like he was a Linden Pick a player that fitted his plans of a slow developing mythology. I have a hard time believing Benning had free range in drafting since arriving in 2014. 

:wacko:

yeah, 2014 = such a disappointment.

Demko in the 2nd, Tryamkin in the 3rd, Forsling in the 5th - the first five picks all NHL assets....

Stop meddling Lindenzz!  

What a shame.

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

could have picked MT...and had a lot better player than Ferland and JV combined...lol.

Still have hope for OJ, after 3 to 4 long years of waiting....

If ifs and buts we’re candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas.  

JB is building a super Cup team.  

9 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

That’s an interesting perspective,.   of course in this town to question anything that Linden does Is taboo ;) 

It certainly should create some healthy discussion and perhaps deserves it own thread in Canucks Talk.

Im of the opinion that Linden delayed the firing of Desjardins before the end of the season he finished with us.. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah, 2014 = such a disappointment.

Demko in the 2nd, Tryamkin in the 3rd, Forsling in the 5th - the first five picks all NHL assets....

Stop meddling Lindenzz!  

What a shame.

Why do ppl take things out of context and get butt hurt...

All I was saying is that Benning had more things to contend with a owners view, a president views, scouting view etc.. meaning he couldn't exactly john wayne the draft. 

This time he has no boss only the owners that gives more veto power in decisions. No one to say "Okay.. but what about this player?" Its now "Were picking." 

No player we selected is bad just on different paths. 

Lind will play for the Canucks when he is ready....and that will be in a year or two. He's a good player. He will be better than Ferland. 

idk, the future isn't that predictable...

not sure whether you're from the future or not.

the pretenses to know the futures of players like Lind and Juolevi...is hard to take seriously wadr.

Lind has 9 pts in 29 games as a 20 yr old forward in the AHL....and will be a surefire better player than Ferland.

While Juolevi had 13 pts in 18 games as a 20 yr old defenseman in the AHL - and you pretend to know what a bad pick that was.

I'm gonna wait for reality to decide this.

3 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

Why do ppl take things out of context 

those are the facts of that original draft - the actual picks =  ie real context.

Your story is steeped in imaginary/fantasy "I feel like".....

Your reaction is the 'butthurt' one.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

the pretenses to know the futures of players like Lind and Juolevi...is hard to take seriously wadr.

Lind has 9 pts in 29 games as a 20 yr old forward in the AHL....and will be a surefire better player than Ferland.

While Juolevi had 13 pts in 18 games as a 20 yr old defenseman in the AHL - and you pretend to know what a bad pick that was.

OJ had good offensive numbers in Utica.  I think he was regaining his strength after the back injury, and (likely) had a sore knee too.  Considering those two issues, OJ was actually playing fabulously.  When the kid is healthy, he’s a proven top player.  

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

those are the facts of that original draft - the actual picks =  ie real context.

Your story is steeped in imaginary/fantasy "I feel like".....

Your reaction is the 'butthurt' one.

Okay. That's your opinion I respect it and choose to move on. Not going to argue with someone looking to troll the forum boards. Have a good afternoon. 

50 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It certainly should create some healthy discussion and perhaps deserves it own thread in Canucks Talk.

Might help if there was any actual evidence or was based in reality rather than nothing but the imagination of a CDC'r.

As is, I'm guessing it would be locked for lack of substance.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

It's more predictable with Lind than some fluff that is being thrown around about "if we didn't pick MT, we would not have EP40"....now that is reality you can hang your hat on...lol

I would thing that you would be more positive about Lind...Ferland is a player that Lind could surpass in performance if he keeps progressing...we shall see.

...and when Lind becomes a better player, I won't tell you that I told you so because you will take credit for knowing he would....how's that for predicting the future...lol.

by the way...OJ might turn out to be a good NHL player, but as of now, he isn't a better pick than MT...not even close.

I hope one year in the near future he will close that gap...(-13 plus/minus as a defenceman is not something to write home about (and be proud of) in a development league.

49 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

What would you want for him ? 

idk, I still want him to play with some playmakers, so I'm not ready to part with him yet...he needs to be played more; same as Goldy. 

It's hard watching the likes of Sutter, Granlund,  LE and others being played more with no results....what's Sutter now -12 down from -8 after coming back from injury.

I'd play Jake and Goldy regular minutes with PP time to the end of the season and would sit Granlund, Schaller, LE, Motte and others so that those two can play....give both of them more minutes to see what we have, then next year make the decision whether to cut bait or keep fishing.

...I would not do Ferland straight up for Jake because Ferland is injury prone and I've witnessed him sputter with the Flames playing with Gaudreau and Monahan...stay well clear of Ferland.

...if it is known that Tryamkin is coming back, I would not necessarily trade Jake for a dman

...possibly a trade for a player that EP40 might have chemistry with such as Lias Anderson (NYR) or Andre Burakovsky (Wash 6'2" 201 Ibs)...

I'd build my team around EP40...Ferland is big tough and can produce on the score sheet and I guy to protect EP40, but he is injury prone. Injury prone is the reason, I would stay away from him. A player that could have chemistry with EP40 is what I would be looking for if they are looking to trade Jake.

what about Poolparty straight up....gives both of them a fresh start?

what would you want for him??

There are legitimate contenders who will be able to offer more for Ferland than us.  I have no doubt that Benning has inquired about him, but he's not worth what we would have to give up.

I've stated in previous threads that I feel the Canucks should be freeing up roster spots with trades that bring back picks and prospects.  We have potential in Utica that needs to be given an opportunity.

MacEwen is a name that's been mentioned on these forums as a possible call up.  Gaunce has been progressing nicely and deserves another shot.  Dahlen could get the call as well, but probably gets his chance next year.

On defense, Sautner and Chatfield will most likely get some looks before the season is over, and possibly Hughes when his season is done.

Hopefully we'll be able to trade away some roster players in need of a fresh start for assets that will replenish our prospect pool.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I'd play Jake and Goldy regular minutes with PP time to the end of the season and would sit Granlund, Schaller, LE, Motte and others so that those two can play....give both of them more minutes to see what we have, then next year make the decision whether to cut bait or keep fishing.

There's no way Motte is being sat.  It sends a bad message to players that even though you work your ass off and give a consistent effort, you can be benched.  I don't believe that's the type of coach Green is.  The same can be said for Eriksson who has proven his reliability this season.

Key words I used are consistent and reliable, neither of which describe Virtanen or Goldobin.  Yes they showed promise in the beggining of the season when the competition was easier, but we're at the half way point now and teams are pushing hard for those final playoff spots and fighting for ice is a lot tougher.

From what I've seen and heard from Green, regular minutes are earned by being reliable and consistent.  Injuries forced JV and NG up and down the line up with varying results and it showed that they're not ready to be counted on as regular contributors yet.  I feel both players were rushed into the league and could and would have benefited from more development in the AHL.

I want to see both players succeed as much as anybody, but I feel Goldobin's time is running out.  Getting points by coasting on a line with Pettersson isn't going to cut it.  He needs to show more hustle, back check, and generally be much better defensively if he wants to be an NHLer, or he'll be spending the rest of his career on the waiver wire.

Virtanen has a specific skill set that needs to be utilized more.  When you have size and speed, you need to take that to the net, not skate around it trying to be a playmaker or by taking low percentage shots.  I still feel Jake has a lot of untapped potential and needs to be developed carefully.  Gifting him minutes for the sole reason of giving him playing time is a bad message to send.  You earn it by playing the right way with the minutes you get, the situations you're given and the effort you give.

I am in the sign Ferland as a UFA...…….5 X 5 ish………….draft a LWer, then trade Ferland in 2 1/2 years, while he still in his late 20's...…….by that time our drafted LWer is ready and we get something for Ferland at that TDL...………..

Even if we have to carry a little cap...…………..

Do not use assets...……….

Archived