The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] MDZ to Ducks for Schenn & 7th round pick

thejazz97

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Just heard botch on team 1040. He believes that schenn is a better defenceman than gudbranson... pratt and whoever the hell that chick is on there agree and say that gudbranson is untradeable. 

:bigblush: 

Crotchturd is a joke. What a loser.

11 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Good move. Del Zotto deserves to play. Just not here. 

I wonder if the move wasn't done out of respect for Del Zotto.  Give him a chance to play elsewhere, as you say.  He's got at least 5 years left in a career, maybe more. Benning has over time treated FAs and others with quite a bit of respect, imo.

I wonder what happened to Schenn. I don't mind this trade. MDZ wasn't going to play and at least Benning has dealt with this now. The trade gives the Canucks an extra pick next year. The D is a bit more balanced now, with MDZ (LD) out and Schenn (RD) in. Can this guy still play in the NHL? He's only 29, good size.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder what happened to Schenn. I don't mind this trade. MDZ wasn't going to play and at least Benning has dealt with this now. The trade gives the Canucks an extra pick next year. The D is a bit more balanced now, with MDZ (LD) out and Schenn (RD) in. Can this guy still play in the NHL? He's only 29, good size.

Good question.  I saw the trade as a respect thing for MDZ.  Treat a FA properly who took a chance in signing with a bottom team. On the other hand, what if Schenn can play?  He once did, and at a good level, I think.

Eh, kind of a nothing trade. 7th is pretty much worthless as is Schenn. Might be in the severe minority but I'd rather have just kept MDZ. I personally think this trade was done out of respect to MDZ who is definitely good enough to be in pretty much any lineup regularly. Hopefully he gets a chance to really get some games in. Anaheim's defense is better than ours in terms of the top 4 players so he shouldn't be getting the same overwhelming deployment we had to give him.

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

He is to defense what Lucic is to forwards. Cement skates. We are better off using Biega over Schenn.

He could be a filler to cover for a Guddy back to Florida trade. Guddy for a second.

Lets not forget that both Hughes and hopefully OJ will need roster spots next year. 4 mil for Guddy is a bit high and if they are getting offers from Florida it might be wise to say YES.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Eh, kind of a nothing trade. 7th is pretty much worthless as is Schenn. Might be in the severe minority but I'd rather have just kept MDZ. I personally think this trade was done out of respect to MDZ who is definitely good enough to be in pretty much any lineup regularly. Hopefully he gets a chance to really get some games in. Anaheim's defense is better than ours in terms of the top 4 players so he shouldn't be getting the same overwhelming deployment we had to give him.

The Canucks are a non-playoff team, and MDZ couldn't stick in the lineup, composed of very average Dmen,. I'm happy for MDZ that he'll get to play again.

11 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Haha, I remember being jacked about all the signings on July 1. Turns out they were all plugs!

As per below, they served their purpose. They filled roster spots and took media/fan abuse so a prospects didn't have until no longer required.

10 hours ago, coastal.view said:

and that does not include vanek

all were free agent signings

motte was obtained for vanek, and now a 7th for mdz

so free agents who cost no assets, were turned into future assets

And now they've been recycled in to a few lotto tickets and Motte (whom I happen to be a fan of). Anyone calling those signing 'failures' frankly doesn't understand what they were. Here's hoping Gagner is next! EDM wants forward depth, I'd happily send them Gagner with $500k-$1m retained + Schaller for Spooner and a pick and/or an AHL goalie.

10 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Is Luke Schenn really that bad? Can't even get a roster spot over  Biega??

I kinda wanna see both Schenn and Pyatt play for us this season...

Too slow for today's NHL, He'd be a solid 3rd pair D 15 years ago. Great for Utica though, particularly with their D injuries to Juolevi and Chatfield. He's still a bit slow even for the AHL but he's at least less of a liability at that level and can fill a solid, much needed D spot there.

6 hours ago, zombieksa said:

Good trade:

-Opens spot for EP40 to return

-Got an asset for a pending UFA

-Got MDZ a chance to play again
-Got defensive depth on the RHD for Utica or if we have an injury bug Vancouver.

-Retained some cap but opened up some more room for us if we are still in the hunt come trade deadline

Hoping pick was in 2019 just because Vancouver draft but a pick is a pick. 

Best of luck to Michael, hope he gets lots of playing time... I mean a lot of playing time, 25min a game vs vancouver would be ideal. JKJK.

This!

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Schenn may come in handy as a RD stop-gap if Benning ends up moving Tanev or Gudbranson by the deadline.

Schenn will never see NHL ice again barring our entire NHL D and half our prospects/other vets being injured.

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

He could be a filler to cover for a Guddy back to Florida trade. Guddy for a second.

Lets not forget that both Hughes and hopefully OJ will need roster spots next year. 4 mil for Guddy is a bit high and if they are getting offers from Florida it might be wise to say YES.

No, no and no :lol:

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's also got Leivo from Toronto. And Motte both are hard working forwards, at very cap friendly numbers. 

He may not have the best batting average. But at least we're no longer paying draft picks for rentals. 

We're also not stuck with NMC's . Something that Anaheim and LA is going to cripple those two clubs. 

Those were trades though.  His FA record is atrocious and that's why I am concerned.  Just watch, the impatience from ownership will result in some awful signings this offseason.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Why?  All the bad UFA signing he made he was able to unload them (except Gags), because they were reasonnable term.   If you want to be worried about the cap room, you should cite Eriksson as an example, not these guys.  

Why?  You just mentioned it.  I didn't mention the obvious Eriksson because he was signed a year earlier. 

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Yeah, big fat no on replacing Guddy with Schenn. 

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Those were trades though.  His FA record is atrocious and that's why I am concerned.  Just watch, the impatience from ownership will result in some awful signings this offseason.

so much ado about basically nothing

the team is short on talent and needs to fill its roster

all signings were reasonably short term and at a time where team is safely under the cap

they retained roster limit flexibility and cap flexibility

at worse these signings did not help the team, they did not hurt the team

the important tasks of the gm are to set the table for the future

the fa signings  have almost zero impact on the future plan

they are all place holders

and gm jb has done a fine job regarding the future

with his astute drafting since he has been here

jb has also begun to demonstrate some flare in moving lower tier players in trades

and did well at the tdl last season

you are grasping at straws a bit in your criticism of jb

you need to look at the big picture

he drafted brock at 23, a clear win, he drafted ep40 at 5, enough said

but there is much more gaudette in 5th round

no misses so far in the 1st round, though we still need to see joulevi and hughes

the team presently is exciting

and appears to have a strong future

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As per below, they served their purpose. They filled roster spots and took media/fan abuse so a prospects didn't have until no longer required.

And now they've been recycled in to a few lotto tickets and Motte (whom I happen to be a fan of). Anyone calling those signing 'failures' frankly understand what they were. Here's hoping Gagner is next! EDM wants forward depth, I'd happily send them Gagner with $500k-$1m retained + Schaller for Spooner and a pick and/or an AHL goalie.

Too slow for today's NHL, He'd be a solid 3rd pair D 15 years ago. Great for Utica though, particularly with their D injuries to Juolevi and Chatfield. He's still a bit slow even for the AHL but he's at least less of a liability at that level and can fill a solid, much needed D spot there.

This!

Schenn will never see NHL ice again barring our entire NHL D and half our prospects/other vets being injured.

Unfortunately, since they retained on Del Zotto they have no more slots for retained salary until July 1st when MDZ’s contract expires (Luongo contract is the other retained in the books). If they trade gagner before the end of the season, they can’t retain salary with him. 

Best option IMO is to buyout gagner in the off-season. Saves aqualini money and opens up a contract spot

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so much ado about basically nothing

the team is short on talent and needs to fill its roster

all signings were reasonably short term and at a time where team is safely under the cap

they retained roster limit flexibility and cap flexibility

at worse these signings did not help the team, they did not hurt the team

the important tasks of the gm are to set the table for the future

the fa signings  have almost zero impact on the future plan

they are all place holders

and gm jb has done a fine job regarding the future

with his astute drafting since he has been here

jb has also begun to demonstrate some flare in moving lower tier players in trades

and did well at the tdl last season

you are grasping at straws a bit in your criticism of jb

you need to look at the big picture

he drafted brock at 23, a clear win, he drafted ep40 at 5, enough said

but there is much more gaudette in 5th round

no misses so far in the 1st round, though we still need to see joulevi and hughes

the team presently is exciting

and appears to have a strong future

I can't believe you guys are defending him on those signings.  Give your head a shake people lol.

9 minutes ago, appleboy said:

1 minute ago, The_Rocket said:

Unfortunately, since they retained on Del Zotto they have no more slots for retained salary until July 1st when MDZ’s contract expires (Luongo contract is the other retained in the books). If they trade gagner before the end of the season, they can’t retain salary with him. 

Best option IMO is to buyout gagner in the off-season. Saves aqualini money and opens up a contract spot

Teams are allowed to retain on 3 contracts. Canucks are at 2 

Archived