The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] MDZ to Ducks for Schenn & 7th round pick

thejazz97

3 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Unfortunately, since they retained on Del Zotto they have no more slots for retained salary until July 1st when MDZ’s contract expires (Luongo contract is the other retained in the books). If they trade gagner before the end of the season, they can’t retain salary with him. 

Best option IMO is to buyout gagner in the off-season. Saves aqualini money and opens up a contract spot

each team has 3 salary retention slots

41 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

His FA record is atrocious and that's why I am concerned.

It really isn't.

The vast majority of UFA's until this year have been stop gaps so we didn't have to play guys like Megna and could shelter kids, and whom he's turned the vast majority, in to futures. EXACTLY what he should be doing. 

Beyond that he's signed key 'glue' guys and leaders like Dors, Beagle, Roussel, Miller etc.

Eriksson's really the only clunker. And even that was a reasonable bet to make at the time, that simply has not worked out as hoped. And he's still a decent (if vastly overpaid) depth player. A lot of teams would be thrilled to have that as their worst contract :lol: You can't win them all ;) 

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I can't believe you guys are defending him on those signings.  Give your head a shake people lol.

i'm not really defending him

i'm saying they really make no difference

how do they make a difference?

why are you so focused on them?

that is the real issue here i think

so explain

5 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Unfortunately, since they retained on Del Zotto they have no more slots for retained salary until July 1st when MDZ’s contract expires (Luongo contract is the other retained in the books). If they trade gagner before the end of the season, they can’t retain salary with him. 

Best option IMO is to buyout gagner in the off-season. Saves aqualini money and opens up a contract spot

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Teams are allowed to retain on 3 contracts. Canucks are at 2 

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

each team has 3 salary retention slots

Just now, The_Rocket said:

Wow this whole time I thought it was two. 

get on the phone then JB! 

Glad we sorted this out ::D

51 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Just heard botch on team 1040. He believes that schenn is a better defenceman than gudbranson

I hope Chia listens to Botch.

Maybe we can flip Schenn to the Oil, and get a return similar to what they gave up for Griffin Reinhart?

As for Botch, I think he’s basing his entire argument off of a SKATR chart:

?key=1423646753&keepfile=yes&attachment=

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder what happened to Schenn. I don't mind this trade. MDZ wasn't going to play and at least Benning has dealt with this now. The trade gives the Canucks an extra pick next year. The D is a bit more balanced now, with MDZ (LD) out and Schenn (RD) in. Can this guy still play in the NHL? He's only 29, good size.

I think skating has always been the issue for Schenn. Not a bad bottom pairing guy as he hits like a truck. 

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I hope Chia listens to Botch.

Maybe we can flip Schenn to the Oil, and get a return similar to what they gave up for Griffin Reinhart?

As for Botch, I think he’s basing his entire argument off of a SKATR chart:

?key=1423646753&keepfile=yes&attachment=

97% Dzone starts is pretty amazing 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think skating has always been the issue for Schenn. Not a bad bottom pairing guy as he hits like a truck. 

Kinda like Marek Malik back in the day.

Pair him with someone really quick who can cover for the stumbles, he's scary because it's possible for him to line guys up and wreck them. Pair him with someone else who is slow and it's a lot of 2-0 and breakaways against and he looks like dog turd.

He's a guy I'd put out in a very conservative defensive posture, as the advanced D-man in a staggered set. Close out the 'advancing' forward with either body position or ultimately a hit... which would be unpleasant for the forward, allowing either the Canucks' backchecking centre to retrieve, or if position allows, his D-partner to pick up the puck. Or on a PK, with explicit 'net clear' duties. I think he'd actually be good on that - our PK suffers when our people move around too much and chase the powerplay around the outside, like they get excited and watch the passes. Schenn is too slow to chase anything, so he'd be parked right where he needs to be, use the big body and good reach to break up plays and clear whoever dares come near the net.

But right now, we're okay on that front. We have a Biega and a couple forward scratches. Schenn might get a look, especially if by some strange happenstance we do make the playoffs. He's kinda built for that style of play anyways.

This is a decent enough trade considering that MDZ hasn't been playing all that well.  MDZ's still relatively young but he's at the point where he's unlikely to play better than how he has in the past.  He had a really hot start to his career so it's possible that he can find some of that magic again but unlikely based on the past few seasons.  2020 7th rd pick isn't great but it's also not nothing.  Schenn is not a bad depth D to have and given all of the reports about Guddy's poor analytics, I'm curious about whether the Canucks see him as a possible Guddy replacement if there is in fact a trade market for Guddy.

Hope MDZ can find his way back into the line-up in Anaheim.

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Who's next? Gagner? Goldobin? Baertschi?

Very good question.  Trade Dead Line means less than it used to, just like waiver wire deadlines, etc.  Strike while the iron is hot, give the team a chance to work with any new players they may get, and get used to doing without any players they have now that will be gone sooner or later. 

Archived