The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] MDZ to Ducks for Schenn & 7th round pick

thejazz97

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

I wonder if the move wasn't done out of respect for Del Zotto.  Give him a chance to play elsewhere, as you say.  He's got at least 5 years left in a career, maybe more. Benning has over time treated FAs and others with quite a bit of respect, imo.

no doubt that was part of it, and it was also probably the first actual offer as well. I suppose Jim could have tried to wait it out for a 4th or 5th but meh, make the move and maybe get some goodwill going. Gagner has been a whiner about it but Jims doing him a huge favour loaning him to the Marlies too. 

Utica thread has the Canucks giving up the seventh rounder

"

By Ben Birnell

Thursday

Posted at 12:53 AM

The Utica Comets just got some help on defense.

In an unexpected late-night trade, the parent Vancouver Canucks acquired defenseman Luke Schenn from Anaheim for Michael Del Zotto and a 2020 seventh round draft pick. 

Schenn will report directly to the Comets, the Canucks said in a release. The trade was announced just before 1 a.m. Thursday Eastern Time.

In the 29-year-old Shenn -- who has more than 700 games of NHL experience -- the Comets get a boost with an experienced player on the blue line which has been hit hard by injuries this season. Jalen Chatfield and Ashton Sautner are working their way back from extended injury absences. Olli Juolevi is out for the season after knee surgery.

Schenn has spent most of the season with the AHL’s San Diego Gulls, totaling 10 points in 22 games. The former fifth overall pick has played for NHL teams in Toronto, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and Arizona. Schenn is making $800,000 this season.

The Comets -- who are 6-1-1-0 in the last eight games -- technically moved into first place in the North Division following a 5-4 win over Syracuse on Wednesday. The Comets have five games in hand on Rochester, who are also in the top spot in the division.

The move involving Schenn means the Canucks won’t have to assign any players to Utica to get to a 23-man roster after Elias Pettersson returns from a a recent injury.

The Comets have a pair of defensemen on professional tryout contracts in internet sensation Colton Saucerman and Cliff Watson.

The move also gives the Comets an abundance of players who are considered veterans under AHL rules. Schenn joins defenseman Jaime Sifers and forwards Carter Bancks, Wacey Hamilton, Tom Pyatt and Reid Boucher. Teams are allowed to play five veterans in a game.

Utica continues a five-game homestand Friday against Binghamton. Utica also takes on Belleville on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no doubt that was part of it, and it was also probably the first actual offer as well. I suppose Jim could have tried to wait it out for a 4th or 5th but meh, make the move and maybe get some goodwill going. Gagner has been a whiner about it but Jims doing him a huge favour loaning him to the Marlies too. 

Huge favor.  Gagner will either be playing in Europe and returning later to a business life in eastern Canada, or retiring prematurely and doing the business/post-career thing right off.  Toronto is useful for him either way.  Personally, I prefer the West, but I'm not Gagner. 

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Pretty much JB did MDZ a solid by giving him a place to play instead of sitting.

And he didn't have to waive Schaller.  

and there was a willing partner. ANA making a bunch of small moves and lucky for us there was a fit. 

One thing I like about this is it shows Jim will take a real offer quickly if its reasonable, so if there is a team out there sitting on its hands for another depth guy like Goldy or Schaller maybe this will light a fire under them to call Jim sooner than later. 

13 minutes ago, appleboy said:

For the remainder of the year.

Schenn is not an NHL player. Y'all can just get that out of your heads.

We'd likely call up Sautner, Briesbois and arguably McEneny (he's still getting his skating back up post-injury), and Chatfield if he gets healthy, before him.

Benning has cap space that could be put to good use at trade deadline. If we are out of the playoff hunt then they could take on some expiring contracts for picks. There will be some team up against the cap who needs to move out money so that they can add depth. It could be an interesting year.

Guddy has improved this year but is just too slow. I would move his 4 mill deal out. Keep Tanev , Edler and Hutton. Build the rest out with youth. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

We'd likely call up Sautner, Briesbois and arguably McEneny (he's still getting his skating back up post-injury), and Chatfield if he gets healthy, before him.

And Guddy is?

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It depends, a couple of pundits have said the Panthers still have love for Gudbranson.  If they pried him from us, we would want to replace some veteran toughness.

A third pairing guy who is occupy ally in the press box when not facing a physics team is a possible place for Schenn down the stretch when it is more about safely developing guys than it is winning.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

It depends, a couple of pundits have said the Panthers still have love for Gudbranson.  If they pried him from us, we would want to replace some veteran toughness.

A third pairing guy who is occupy ally in the press box when not facing a physics team is a possible place for Schenn down the stretch when it is more about safely developing guys than it is winning.

Nope.

He can't skate. Again:

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and there was a willing partner. ANA making a bunch of small moves and lucky for us there was a fit. 

One thing I like about this is it shows Jim will take a real offer quickly if its reasonable, so if there is a team out there sitting on its hands for another depth guy like Goldy or Schaller maybe this will light a fire under them to call Jim sooner than later. 

Schaller probably would clear waivers. He's also signed for next season. I don't see anyone calling for him.

Goldy they likely hold on to and see what happens next season. He's still very young. Still has a chance. His return will be a 4th rounder or later. Not worth trading hm. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

One thing you've got me thinking about is Goldobin's situation: he needs to play or be moved, and the team has to be heading toward some kind of decision, maybe before this TDL.  And with that too: that offensive players are not as hard to come by as they used to be.  Junior and college hockey is emphasizing skating and creativity more, as are hockey schools, i.e., there is no need to hold on to a Goldobin forever and hope he learns a more rounded game.  Plenty of other fish in the seas. 

If I were looking for a forward to go along with Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen... I'd look for the Max Domi type, or Max Domi himself, lol. 

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

large.jpg

I'm not suggesting it as being true.  The suggestion is based on them both being defensive RHD.  Guddy is a better skater even if he's slow by today's standards.  Neither are great with the puck but Guddy is probably still better at that as well.  If there was a trade market for Guddy, then there could be a vacancy for his style of play for the remainder of the season.  Is this highly unlikely?  Probably, but just spitballing.

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

One thing you've got me thinking about is Goldobin's situation: he needs to play or be moved, and the team has to be heading toward some kind of decision, maybe before this TDL.  And with that too: that offensive players are not as hard to come by as they used to be.  Junior and college hockey is emphasizing skating and creativity more, as are hockey schools, i.e., there is no need to hold on to a Goldobin forever and hope he learns a more rounded game.  Plenty of other fish in the seas. 

If I were looking for a forward to go along with Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen... I'd look for the Max Domi type, or Max Domi himself, lol. 

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm not suggesting it as being true.  The suggestion is based on them both being defensive RHD.  Guddy is a better skater even if he's slow by today's standards.  Neither are great with the puck but Guddy is probably still better at that as well.  If there was a trade market for Guddy, then there could be a vacancy for his style of play for the remainder of the season.  Is this highly unlikely?  Probably, but just spitballing.

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Schaller probably would clear waivers. He's also signed for next season. I don't see anyone calling for him.

Goldy they likely hold on to and see what happens next season. He's still very young. Still has a chance. His return will be a 4th rounder or later. Not worth trading hm. 

They patience is growing thinner and thinner by the day. I wonder if he was playing last night, with his commitment and all, would he have played at all in the third period? The clock is ticking on this kid, how many chances do the Canucks give him, before they cut the bait?

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It really isn't.

The vast majority of UFA's until this year have been stop gaps so we didn't have to play guys like Megna and could shelter kids, and whom he's turned the vast majority, in to futures. EXACTLY what he should be doing. 

Beyond that he's signed key 'glue' guys and leaders like Dors, Beagle, Roussel, Miller etc.

Eriksson's really the only clunker. And even that was a reasonable bet to make at the time, that simply has not worked out as hoped. And he's still a decent (if vastly overpaid) depth player. A lot of teams would be thrilled to have that as their worst contract :lol: You can't win them all ;) 

JB has been hit and miss on UFA. 

LE was a big mistake. Schaller MDZ Gagner all bad signings. Beagles term is too long. 3 years would have been good. But he had to add the 4th year to get a UFA on a rebuilding team. Can't blame him too much. 

I like Roussel signing best. 

Archived