The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] MDZ to Ducks for Schenn & 7th round pick

thejazz97

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know what he's worth, but I think he's going to get upwards of 7.  Maybe 7.5 to 8 depending on the term.  

If we signed him, then that would make him the best paid player on the team... until EP40 gets his big contract.  I don't see Boeser doing more than 7 with the way his season is shaping up. 

So, 7.75 over how many years? 4 or 5? Even 6?  He's only 26, no history of concussions/bad injuries that I am aware of... 

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

That's just a one off. His cap hit goes down to  just under 7 after this season. Still horrible but not as insane.

His cap hit remains the same 6.96 mill for entire lenght of contract. 

Contract can have up to 50% divergence between years. Put in place to counter front loaded contracts like Hosa Crosby Luongo etc. 

He gets 12 mill first year 9 mill 2nd year and 6 mill per year for last 4 years. But cap hit is always total contract value devided by years. 

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

And Loui Eriksson at 6.... McKinnon money, lol.

But you are right: Nylander wildly overpaid compared to Stone.  

I hope we're all in on Stone.  What do you think he's worth Alf?  5.9... 6.9? 

I'd personally aim at Karlsson first (bigger need/harder target to find) but would happily accept Stone as a consolation prize. I'd hope somewhere in the $7-$7.5 range with some trade clauses and term (and the promise of a nice warm spot on EP40's W for a real NHL team with an owner willing to support it) would be enough to persuade him.

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

And Loui Eriksson at 6.... McKinnon money, lol.

But you are right: Nylander wildly overpaid compared to Stone.  

I hope we're all in on Stone.  What do you think he's worth Alf?  5.9... 6.9? 

Big difference between UFA vs RFA MacKinnon signed 3 years ago as RFA and salary cap was lower back then

Stone likely gets around 6.5 to 7 mill as UFA. But mackinnon would get 10 plus if he was UFA. 

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

His cap hit remains the same 6.96 mill for entire lenght of contract. 

Contract can have up to 50% divergence between years. Put in place to counter front loaded contracts like Hosa Crosby Luongo etc. 

He gets 12 mill first year 9 mill 2nd year and 6 mill per year for last 4 years. But cap hit is always total contract value devided by years. 

Screenshot_20190118-164413_Chrome.jpg

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd personally aim at Karlsson first (bigger need/harder target to find) but would happily accept Stone as a consolation prize. I'd hope somewhere in the $7-$7.5 range with some trade clauses and term (and the promise of a nice warm spot on EP40's W for a real NHL team with an owner willing to support it) would be enough to persuade him.

you simply are a dreamer when it comes to contract values for elite players the canucks might be interested in

stone earns this year $7.35 million, a contract signed after filing for arbitration as an rfa

he is having a significantly better season this year then he had last season when the $7.35 million contract was signed

he will be an ufa this off season if not signed before july 1

he will be hotly sought after as a free agent

you think it reasonable that he will sign a similar contract as an ufa after having a better season then last season?

that he will not demand a raise of more then 100k ? 

that he should sign an evander kane type deal? despite kane having a worrisome track record of issues?

time will tell, maybe we are both just spitballing

but i really think your homer bias influences your ability to see the contract values some of these players will actually earn

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you simply are a dreamer when it comes to contract values for elite players the canucks might be interested in

stone earns this year $7.35 million, a contract signed after filing for arbitration as an rfa

he is having a significantly better season this year then he had last season when the $7.35 million contract was signed

he will be an ufa this off season if not signed before july 1

he will be hotly sought after as a free agent

you think it reasonable that he will sign a similar contract as an ufa after having a better season then last season?

that he will not demand a raise of more then 100k ? 

that he should sign an evander kane type deal? despite kane having a worrisome track record of issues?

time will tell, maybe we are both just spitballing

but i really think your homer bias influences your ability to see the contract values some of these players will actually earn

1 year vs term

21 minutes ago, coryberg said:

What the frog. 

Does this have something to do with him sitting out for part of season?. Never seen this before. 

Mcdavid makes 15 mill this year 12 mill signing bonus but cap hit remains 12.5. 

Lou Eriksson made 8 mill last year 7 mill this year 4 mill last 2 years  but cap hit is 6 mill per year. 

Edit

Looked it up. It's because he sat out and missed part of the season. Only in such case cap hit is calculated this way.

14 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You have to ask why play a guy for 5 mins in favour of a talented player who has not been that bad recently. Green has a thing about Goldy. Baert did a horrible pass to Bo that the he couldn't take and it led to a goal as I remember and Bo's defence for the short handed goal was terrible. If Goldy had done either he would have been packed off to Siberia. :)

Schaller's ice time is based on how he plays.  You'd expect him to come out like his hair is on fire.  The 5 minute man is just showing Green that he has no fire in his belly.

Goldy and all of us watch Petey and that kid works even harder when he doesn't have the puck.  He said that he learned that if he can get the puck back, then he has the chance to make a play offensively (which is the fun part) so he works hard to get the puck back.  So Goldy is sitting because he doesn't get this.  The coaches tell him over and over what they want him to do.  How he's expected to play and within a week of sitting for 2 games (Montreal and Toronto if I recall) he isn't moving his feet again and took a lazy hooking penalty in the neutral zone.  If a guy won't be coached, what can you do?

Don't get me wrong, I see him doing a lot of good things too.  His finish is off, I think because he is trying too hard; trying to make too good of a shot and misses.  The good news is he was getting into places to make those misses.  Boeser is doing the same and he is working on it.  It was all over twitter.  Is Goldy doing the same?  I don't know

All players make mistakes.   They have to learn from them though.  And if Horvat makes a mistake, he will work hard to make up for it.  Same with Baer. 

We all want Goldy to succeed.  The talent is obvious.  But we're all wondering how long until he gets to the end of his rope. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Point was they can dress more than 6 sometimes, not only 6 like you wanted to claim :picard:

Now that we are getting technical teams can dress 14 forwards and 4 dmen if they choose.

Fact of the matter is 99.9% of the time teams dress 12 forwards and 6 dmen... I assumed you knew that, my bad.

55 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Big difference between UFA vs RFA MacKinnon signed 3 years ago as RFA and salary cap was lower back then

Stone likely gets around 6.5 to 7 mill as UFA. But mackinnon would get 10 plus if he was UFA. 

RFA vs. UFA: huge difference, true.  But still... it is shocking to see the discrepancy.  

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Schaller's ice time is based on how he plays.  You'd expect him to come out like his hair is on fire.  The 5 minute man is just showing Green that he has no fire in his belly.

Goldy and all of us watch Petey and that kid works even harder when he doesn't have the puck.  He said that he learned that if he can get the puck back, then he has the chance to make a play offensively (which is the fun part) so he works hard to get the puck back.  So Goldy is sitting because he doesn't get this.  The coaches tell him over and over what they want him to do.  How he's expected to play and within a week of sitting for 2 games (Montreal and Toronto if I recall) he isn't moving his feet again and took a lazy hooking penalty in the neutral zone.  If a guy won't be coached, what can you do?

Don't get me wrong, I see him doing a lot of good things too.  His finish is off, I think because he is trying too hard; trying to make too good of a shot and misses.  The good news is he was getting into places to make those misses.  Boeser is doing the same and he is working on it.  It was all over twitter.  Is Goldy doing the same?  I don't know

All players make mistakes.   They have to learn from them though.  And if Horvat makes a mistake, he will work hard to make up for it.  Same with Baer. 

We all want Goldy to succeed.  The talent is obvious.  But we're all wondering how long until he gets to the end of his rope. 

You see Goldy in interviews... you think about how he embraces North America... he has a lot of stuff in his favor.  (Similar to Ovechkin.)  I would hate to give up on him yet.  But given the offensive talent that is increasingly available in today's Junior and College players... his time is shortening fast.  Will he survive the summer?  Depends on the progress he makes.  A lot of us were wondering when Virtanen would start to play up to his potential... took quite a while, and he still hasn't got all the way there yet.

stay away from Ferlund, the boy has been concussed several times now...our boy KB was one of them that concussed him.

As for the trade....not going to argue over peanuts, but MDZ was a disaster....well done JB moving a free asset and reducing the payroll.

Archived