The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Tanner Kero

-Vintage Canuck-

Man am I glad we don't have a local farm team. I could see the Media watching every game and putting pressure on players who don't perform or don't take chances offensively (when they don't know what the coach has the player working on) We might have the worst media in Canada. They jump all over every decision made!

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do you know the threshold for being a vet down there?

260 pro-games to be a veteran exempt

320 to be a veteran

Teams can dress at most 6 veterans but at least 1 of the 6 has to be a veteran exempt.  Gaunce is a veteran exempt.  Boucher, Bancks, Hamilton, Sifers, Pyatt are veterans.

Time for a TTurner/Bonnie duet(sorry Bulis)...

We don't need another Keeeero

Didn't even need Boniiiino

All we want are decent prices, for a BC home

So WHAAT do we do with our site?

Feelin mushroom, in dark

Will this thread soon shine like a light,

Or bring on the snark?

Is it all or nuthin'?!?!?!

11 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If I'm not mistaken and if Horvat is healthy for Friday, all the Canucks need to do to meet the 23-man limit is to designate Kero for waivers and assignment to the Comets the next day.  This is a good precautionary measure if Horvat is banged up, gives the Canucks options since Utica to Vancouver is a long way to go, and perhaps shows Kero that his good play is valued and appreciated.  Hoping that Horvat is not hurt.

10 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I think what is happening is there are too many prospects for positions and the AHL rules mandate a number of vets on each team.

This may be to see what they have and then move him for a late pick. He is long past being a prospect.

Horvat, I also thought Edler got dinged.

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Other than the waivers, it's basically this IMO.

Precautionary in case either Horvat/Pettersson can't play/practice, a bit of a 'thank you and good work in Utica' and leaves Gaudette down practicing and playing where he should be rather than yo-yo'd up and down to not even play.

I think that probably all these points are relevant. Add them up and Kero makes a lot of sense. My guess at the priority order of the reasons is as follows.

1. If either Horvat OR EP can go on Friday Kero does not play. Therefore the odds of him playing are low. No reason to disrupt Gaudette for that. If both Horvat and EP were definitely going to be out for a couple of games or more, I think Gaudette would get the call-up.

2. For Gaudette, being called up again only to be sent down soon after without even playing would not be a plus. For Kero, it probably is a big plus just to get called up to the big club and meet some of the guys on team and have a chance of playing in the NHL again.

3. In the numbers, and by all accounts, Kero has been playing very well, so this is recognition and is probably good for morale on the farm.

4. Benning probably wants Green and the other Canuck coaches to take a close look at Kero, even if it is just in practice. That could be relevant to possible trades down the road. Kero has played quite well in the NHL before

5. There are no waiver issues.

6. [Thanks for the correction from @SingleThorn.] I had assumed that Kero was an AHL "vet".  That was wrong. He still qualifies as a "developmental player" so this comment about vets is completely irrelevant. So I don't think Guardian's comment about vets played into the decision. And there is no requirement to play any minimum number of vets in the AHL. Of the 18 skaters dressed for any game, 12 must be developmental players -- guys who have played less than 260 games in the NHL, AHL, or "elite" European leagues. One additional guy must have less than 320 games. So at most 6 "vets" -- guys with more than 260 qualifying games --  can play on any given night. Utica would be at the veteran limit most games, especially having added Schenn to the roster. If Kero was a vet, recalling him would allow the Comets to play another vet who would not otherwise play. But, Kero is not a vet, this is not a consideration for the call-up. But it is interesting to think about the veteran limit in light of the addition of Schenn in Utica.

18 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Ive only watched a few Utica games but I thought Kero stood out.  He plays a pretty high tempo game and has pretty good intincts.  i guess whether he plays or not is TBD but I think he could be a better depth guy then dare I say Granlund

Until guys like Granlund, Schaller and Goldobin get injured or traded or waived we wont be seeing the next wave of Utica graduates until next year where they can legitimately vie for a roster spot.  Same goes for the defense.  Depth is a beautiful thing, but it can also limit the opportunities of others.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

These two definitely have the same "look" about them.  Who does (did) the black guy play for?  He's one tough looking guy!

He's a pretty famous player.

Put up Fast times at Ridgemont High.  Though he has been the Fall Guy, coach pushed him out due to Different Strokes.

Has a few Amazing Stories about the Color of Money. Has played over seas for the "Good Morning Viet Nam"

He is really confident playing in this Bloodsport.  Goes by a few nicknames, Johnny Handsome and A Rage in Harlem.  Detailed in his book = Diary of a Hitman.

Some have called him a Phenomenon, due to his Bodycount, he can Light it Up. Also makes moves in a Phonebooth.

His First Daughter was a Little Trip to Heaven, Even Money lured him to the south for a Hurricane Season The Experiment revealed A Dark Truth.

The Last Stand was to Get out of the Furnace without Making a Scene.

He's Sorry to Bother you, but his new books is out:  Black Panther; How it Ends, A Fall From Grace.

Thank you very much - all in chronological order!

Archived