The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

sign stone to whatever money he wants (6.7) karlsson (11) , trade Sutter for 1st and 4th, tanev for a 1st, waive ericksson

Virtanen Petey Boeser

Beartschi Horvat stone

Ruosel Gaudette Granlund

Motte Beagle Leivo

Edler Karlsson

hutton stetcher

hughes Guddy

demko/marky

Stone will get 9 million per year. Karlsson will get 12 million per year.

Other than you being way off on your numbers, I would love both of them.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Pouliot looking a bit more confident / shades of the player he could be.

3 blocks, a couple hits and that sweet dangle and feed = probably his best game since last season.

Overshadowed only by Edler on an uncharacteristic mean streak.

Pouliot = Damn that Edler, meanie!

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Tomorrow NFL day. What a great weekend  

Demko wins amd NFL in morning. Hope Brady wins.

Don't they play in or near Boston??????    I just can't sheer for these guys.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Massive game by Demko, Bo and Brock looked good, Loui steps up again! And we got revenge on the Sabres! And the Leafs lost!

AND WE'RE IN A PLAYOFF SPOT!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :wub:

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Rough start, Demko kept them in it. 

Good bounce back game overall. Needed the 2 pts. 

48 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It’s very apparent how Beagle anchoring the bottom six and PK takes the pressure off everyone around him. 

42 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Schaller  7:37 ice time tonight 

Erickson Beagle Leivo : I see some chemistry there.

My summary:

1. Demko is obviously the biggest story. Feels really good to see him get the win and play well, with a lot of big saves. I was kind of nervous for him, especially as the ice was titled pretty strongly in favour of the Sabres for the first 10 minutes.

2. Although it was a character win, the Canucks are pretty fortunate to come away with 2 points. They were outchanced and outshot by a big margin. For the first 11 minutes or so it was a moral victory just to get the puck over the center redline. Then the Beagle line had a good shift -- the first shift of the game the Canucks "won". For the next shift Baertschi was reunited with Horvat and Boeser, who picked up assists on Edler's goal -- only the second Canuck shot of the game and it came after the 12 minute mark.. On that line's next shift they scored again (Baetschi) and had a very good shift generally. 

3. Horvat had a huge game -- great on the dot, excellent at both ends of the ice, two assists and he should have had an assist on Baertschi's goal as well. His pass to Boeser for Boeser's tap-in was really nice.

4. I would also focus on the Beagle line. At some point in the game Green switched from the Sutter line to the Beagle line as the primary shutdown line against the Eichel line. Beagle was excellent and Eriksson picked up the game-winning goal with Leivo and Beagle making nice plays to make it happen. .I really like the Beagle/Erkisson combo for shutdown duty with either Leivo or Motte on the other wing.

5. The other guy I would mention is Pouliot. I commented last game that he has been improving his play. Over the past few weeks he really settled down his defensive game and has gradually been adding some offensive plays to his game -- but making good decisions instead the kind of bad decisions he made earlier in the season. He looked like Bobby Orr on the the Baertschi goal tonight -- skating through at least 3 guys before making the pass for the tap-in.

6. Buffalo has a lot of talent including recent high draft picks like Eichel, Reinhart, Mittlestadt, Ristolainen, and Dahlin, along with some good vets like Skinner and Bogosian. The Canucks still need another elite or near-elite player to match up, even with EP in the line-up. The Canucks made up for the talent gap with effort and good goaltending tonight.

7.I won't focus much on guys who had subpar games. Green mentioned post-game that some guys were struggling. But the one guy I would mention is Virtanen. He is playing much better defence than he used to, he is trying hard and he is more consistent. But he really needs to go the net more and get more engaged in the offensive part of the game.

Archived