The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Great game...

After a slow start Canucks woke up and made a game of it.

Huge shout out to Demko. The boy looks legit.

Leivo, Motte, Eriksson, Beagle and Puoliot all had a great game.

Edler.... get him re-signed now. What a strong game again.

Bo IS the Captain of this team... Give him the C.

Finally.... its been a while since anyone complained about the 2nd JB gave up for Baertchi... Great to have him back in the line up.

And Leivo for Carcone... Magic.

Looks like JB knows, what's he's doing after all...

we need Petey + 1 more legit top 6 forward and we need Hughes, woo, tryamkin and one of rarthbone/utunen/juolevi to become really solid top 3 guy

goaltending has gone from a mystery to now our perhaps greatest strength and hopefully with the continued development of Petey, Bo, Gaudette and Madden, we could have a decade of amazing strength down the middle

love the leivo, baertschi, granlund trades and the additions of rousell, beagle, and IAN CLARK

Motte trade not looking so bad

we have 9 picks in this year's draft so far, would be nice to trim to the fat a bit for some higher picks, even if we are in a playoff race... goldy for a 2nd? but I still believe a kid with his talent should be playing on our team...

The thing I really liked about this game is that our team is learning to create offence with out EP. As great as it is to have EP scoring the way he is this year, the team has kinda sat back and let him run the show, especially Boeser. Last nights game was the Boeser of last year I remember. Now when Petey comes back he's got a fully operational team behind him. 

Also, I loved Leivos game last night, as pretty much everyone has mentioned already...but it still blows my mind we got a guy like this for basically nothing...thanks Toronto!

Last but not least, you gotta love our triple threat goalie tandem line up. Marky playing lights out, Demko lining up for future starting role after Markys contract is up, then DiPietro following things up next season on the farm. Future looks bright!

38 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

The best part of the game was when we randomly had four forwards and one defenseman on the ice. I was laughing so hard.

Demko is a fun goalie to watch. He moves a lot quicker than most goalies when he's skating. Obvious nerves and miscues but still!

That was pretty entertaining. Definitely dodged a too many men call and it only cost us a goal. I'll take it lol. 

A great start for Demko. I'm sure he'd like the Okposo goal back but 36 saves on 39 shots is impressive!

9 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Yeah he's that classic high risk high reward type player. Agreed though he's obviously at his best when creative with confidence. He's been carrying the puck better. Nice win Boys!

Does anyone else think that having a bit of time to practice is helping certain guys play better? The first few months of the season was brutal.

8 hours ago, rekker said:

I really like Leivo's game. More of a north south, and some decent mitts. I've wanted to get him from TO and was pumped when we did. So far so good. 

Competition for EP40's and Boeser's left wing.  They could use a north south big winger.  Horvat could use Baer, maybe stick JV on the other wing.  Two balanced lines with size and skill.  

JV and Baer both possess a good two way game and Baer Ep40 and Boeser doesn't seem to have enough meat on it for the west.  

Leivo happens to be in the best spot possible to have a good NHL career,  like Burrows when he got a shot with the twins.  I hope he makes the most of it.  

10 hours ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

Demko is just THAT good

I like the kid but if he keeps giving up 3-4 goals a game ....

I know it's a small sample size, but if you take his career GAA (3.47) and Save Pct. (.889) they would rank 48/50 and 49/50 among league leaders in those departments.

I do believe he has a high ceiling, but let's wait till his numbers reflect it before we call him the next one.

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

My summary:

1. Demko is obviously the biggest story. Feels really good to see him get the win and play well, with a lot of big saves. I was kind of nervous for him, especially as the ice was titled pretty strongly in favour of the Sabres for the first 10 minutes.

2. Although it was a character win, the Canucks are pretty fortunate to come away with 2 points. They were outchanced and outshot by a big margin. For the first 11 minutes or so it was a moral victory just to get the puck over the center redline. Then the Beagle line had a good shift -- the first shift of the game the Canucks "won". For the next shift Baertschi was reunited with Horvat and Boeser, who picked up assists on Edler's goal -- only the second Canuck shot of the game and it came after the 12 minute mark.. On that line's next shift they scored again (Baetschi) and had a very good shift generally. 

3. Horvat had a huge game -- great on the dot, excellent at both ends of the ice, two assists and he should have had an assist on Baertschi's goal as well. His pass to Boeser for Boeser's tap-in was really nice.

4. I would also focus on the Beagle line. At some point in the game Green switched from the Sutter line to the Beagle line as the primary shutdown line against the Eichel line. Beagle was excellent and Eriksson picked up the game-winning goal with Leivo and Beagle making nice plays to make it happen. .I really like the Beagle/Erkisson combo for shutdown duty with either Leivo or Motte on the other wing.

5. The other guy I would mention is Pouliot. I commented last game that he has been improving his play. Over the past few weeks he really settled down his defensive game and has gradually been adding some offensive plays to his game -- but making good decisions instead the kind of bad decisions he made earlier in the season. He looked like Bobby Orr on the the Baertschi goal tonight -- skating through at least 3 guys before making the pass for the tap-in.

6. Buffalo has a lot of talent including recent high draft picks like Eichel, Reinhart, Mittlestadt, Ristolainen, and Dahlin, along with some good vets like Skinner and Bogosian. The Canucks still need another elite or near-elite player to match up, even with EP in the line-up. The Canucks made up for the talent gap with effort and good goaltending tonight.

7.I won't focus much on guys who had subpar games. Green mentioned post-game that some guys were struggling. But the one guy I would mention is Virtanen. He is playing much better defence than he used to, he is trying hard and he is more consistent. But he really needs to go the net more and get more engaged in the offensive part of the game.

Good post. The team scored enough goals to support Demko and bail out the d-zone effort. Sabres have an impressive forward group. D-zone play was having a real battle. Just as I think Pouliot's game has improved I also give a nod to Stecher and Hutton. Hutton has shown improvement all season but IMHO he has not plateaued yet. His game is still climbing. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

PS. All this without EP in the line up.... Gonna get even better...

Silver lining to EP's injuries this year is watching the team deal with not simply waiting for EP to do his thing. It's a good thing for a young team to face, hopefully they're stronger for it once he returns to the lineup.

6 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

PhotoEditor_20190119_021514614.jpg

Huh?  There are good players in every draft. In fact, there's less separation between the top tier and those beneath this year, so positioning isn't even as important.

On the the contrary, "Jim Benning and most Canuck fans checking the standings and seeing the Canucks in a playoff spot in late January:"

giphy.gif&f=1

When we play a skilled team we always pass badly and panic with outlets in the first period.

After we settled down our passing came back and we started to hold our own. 

After the first 20mins we showed we actually have the ability, allied with hard work, to match these teams but we should be thankful Demko kept us in it until we settled.

Pouliot very good again. He is putting a run of form together. I actually thought ALL the D were superb, led by Edler.

Loui also good again as was Leivo, Beagle, Motte, and Granlund. 

Bo looked a bit tired to me but still came good when he was needed. Boeser seems to be edging back too and Baertschi had a quiet but effective game.

Demko was outstanding and I like the fact he doesn't give many rebounds.

One point, I really don't see the point of Schaller. Especially if we are going to limit his time on ice so much. I would much rather see Goldy on the Ice.

Archived