The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Buffalo reminds me a bit like the recent cOilers. All of this high end talent, and aren't in a playoff spot. They've got speed, lots of it, but something is missing. They're fun to watch though.

Buffalo have the makings no doubt about that. They had a 18 year old play 25 minutes TOI last night! Still a very young group. 

Vancouver had enough vet presence to beat the Sabres and a great game by Demko. FO % success = puck possession which makes everyone look better. Vancouver outworked Buffalo in their zone.  

20 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

When we play a skilled team we always pass badly and panic with outlets in the first period.

After we settled down our passing came back and we started to hold our own. 

After the first 20mins we showed we actually have the ability, allied with hard work, to match these teams but we should be thankful Demko kept us in it until we settled.

Pouliot very good again. He is putting a run of form together. I actually thought ALL the D were superb, led by Edler.

Loui also good again as was Leivo, Beagle, Motte, and Granlund. 

Bo looked a bit tired to me but still came good when he was needed. Boeser seems to be edging back too and Baertschi had a quiet but effective game.

Demko was outstanding and I like the fact he doesn't give many rebounds.

One point, I really don't see the point of Schaller. Especially if we are going to limit his time on ice so much. I would much rather see Goldy on the Ice.

Schaller is just there so that they have a warm body in the lineup when Green wants to execute some tough love on a player like Goldobin

11 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Demko was great, Bo, Beartschi and Brock looked good, I don’t know what’s gotten Jake so pissed off lately but like seeing him willing to drop the mitts. Overall a good 50 minutes after starting so slow, and back in a playoff position 

You mean this? Virtanen tried to kill Skinner with an elbow

Who saw this result after the first 10min lol?  Nucks were lucky to win that imo, Thatchy D played great.  Nucks were slow out of the gate for all three periods, maybe a result of too much line juggling?  Very sloppy looking at times.

11 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Think Skinner was hacking at Virtanen prior to this, but a definite chicken wing attempt by Jake here. People saying they want some Tom Wilson in Jake's game. Some cheap shots come with the territory. Even if he connected the elbow with the speed he was skating and the force that would have been applied would have been minimal. I noticed lately Jake has been rather feisty. His ever evolving game is getting much more interesting. Added defensive responsibility now is he gonna add some more rough stuff? 

16 minutes ago, shazzam said:

I loved seeing this from Jake last night. Jake reminds me of a dog that hasn't figured out how strong he is yet, once he puts it all together he's going to be a beast. 

Saw something at the game last night that I've never seen before. We had 3 guys, late-50's ish, sitting in front of us who were pissed to the gills. They weren't rowdy just plastered, and they were asked to leave in the 2nd. They were drinking some kind of clear booze from a large water bottle, so I guess sharing that was the "tell" for the host staff :lol:

There was a super annoying Sabres fan as well nearby, who stood up after Okposo's goal yelling "how do you like them apples" at everyone in the section. I pointed and laughed at him at the end of the game, I think he wanted to fight. 

Bo on Demko

“For him to play a game like that and be as calm as he was making big saves, you feel comfortable and confident when you’re on the ice with him. It was fun to be a part of. The fans are getting into it, the crowd’s loud for him every time he makes a save. It definitely makes you want to work that much harder to get that win for him.

11 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Had a feeling the Horvat line was going to wake up... they are clicking now.  Baertschi, the unacknowledged top sixer, continues to score.

Josh Leivo undoubtedly had his best game of the season, even if he didn't score... all over the ice.

Motte/Beagle/Eriksson line was great in their role in containing Jack Eichel and crew and Eriksson continues his hot streak.  (continue to be impressed by hometown boy Sam Reinhart though... if the Canucks can find a way to pry him loose from the Sabres, they should ;) )

And finally, Thatcher Demko had an excellent game... a few miscues, but overall a nice 2nd debut... this time as the regular backup.  I believe he will challenge Markstrom next year... and in the meantime be a more reliable backup than Nilsson.

only by a certain ignorant section of the fanbase.  

11 hours ago, bad alice french said:

This league is evolving and changing so quickly. The youth movement has changed the face of the game. There are veteran exceptions obviously but man does Buffalo ever play a fast possession game. They looked really good tonight. Our team really manned up for this win. Come on back EP!

They looked good but the Veteran leadership would help this club. They are similar to Edmonton and Florida but better talent throughout the line up. One or two good leaders like Beagle and they could go places.

45 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Who saw this result after the first 10min lol?  Nucks were lucky to win that imo, Thatchy D played great.  Nucks were slow out of the gate for all three periods, maybe a result of too much line juggling?  Very sloppy looking at times.

Buffalo had a lot of jump and movement...we looked a step behind for most of the night.   The pace was noticeable.

I can say though, our guys were impeded a fair bit away from the play.  They were grabbing/holding Bo's stick a whole lot and we had to be physical to shake them off at times.      Also, our line changes, at times, are sketchy...have to clean up that aspect of things.  Get caught at inopportune times.

Matters little in the end.    We got the win and those ugly/sloppy ones count as two points just as the picture perfect ones do.  

Archived