The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Well Demko looks like a keeper eh? Hopefully that makes Markstrom more valuable and available in a trade situation. DiPietro broke a shut out record.

That was a stupid thing Jake tried, cowardly and now he will be watched more and maybe given less slack if he ever does hit a player. It is one thing to hit hard and another to throw and elbow at an unsuspecting player, he will be watched as this is getting top billing in some places.

Man Canuck goalies have sure been brilliant this year and the Canucks team shooting percentage just unbelievable 50% for the first period. If it wasn't for all those flip it at the goalie counters the percentage would have been unreal. But that has happened 9 or 10 times this year, they are just manhandled and totally outplayed for 2 periods but have a lead, that's goaltending.

They can do some real damage at the TDL  

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Saw something at the game last night that I've never seen before. We had 3 guys, late-50's ish, sitting in front of us who were pissed to the gills. They weren't rowdy just plastered, and they were asked to leave in the 2nd. They were drinking some kind of clear booze from a large water bottle, so I guess sharing that was the "tell" for the host staff :lol:

There was a super annoying Sabres fan as well nearby, who stood up after Okposo's goal yelling "how do you like them apples" at everyone in the section. I pointed and laughed at him at the end of the game, I think he wanted to fight. 

We were in a GREAT section.   I commented on the fact that, although a host came up to "talk to" 3 guys who were hilarious and completely invested and involved all night, they never did have to pipe down or leave.  It was encouraging. 

They were awesome...chanted throughout and were extremely loud and vocal...our section responded to them and it was great to not have pin drop silence that I've experienced at some games.  Really good to see they may be rethinking the entire disciplinary tone that seems to have been set in the past.  The no fun zone is waking up.

We had Sabres fans in front of us too...a young couple,.  The female was annoying, with a shrill cheer that she held on to just a tad bit too long.  But, all in all, they were respectful.  Hate the IN YOUR FACE opponents who are cocky and cringe worthy.  Calm down and take your meds.  Preferably, as you board the bus to go home.

I was not able to watch game live as it was way too late but a few reflections:

• Buffalo has assembled some nice players - lots of speed - but they are not coached very well
  • Demko is the real deal.   I have more on him on his player thread - I am blown away how mature he looked and his reflexes were off the charts...he just needs to get a bit more positionally solid
  • DP showed a few times why he was the CHL Dman of the year and such a high first round pick - he also showed why he sits games - Canucks could really use a D coach for this kid who has more offensive flair .... or maybe Hughes and OJ coming in over the next while will create that by osmosis
  • Virtanen played a solid game again and no one seems to notice 
  • Edler sure likes to hit past few weeks
  • Stecher is getting physically outmatched more than he was earlier in the season
  • Loui must love having the Nylander contract (and Lucic for that matter) to point to
  • Horvat looks tired but driven - All Star break is perfect timing for him
  • Guddy needs to simplify his game a bit more
  • Tanev does soooo many good things - guy is a beast
  • Motte remains a revelation and not sure why more people are not raving about him
  • Beagle is almost as much a captain right now as Horvat - never seems to not try and do everything at full-speed
  • Hutton had an uneven game but it still would have been better than 90% plus of his games last year

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We were in a GREAT section.   I commented on the fact that, although a host came up to "talk to" 3 guys who were hilarious and completely invested and involved all night, they never did have to pipe down or leave.  It was encouraging. 

They were awesome...chanted throughout and were extremely loud and vocal...our section responded to them and it was great to not have pin drop silence that I've experienced at some games.  Really good to see they may be rethinking the entire disciplinary tone that seems to have been set in the past.  The no fun zone is waking up.

We had Sabres fans in front of us too...a young couple,.  The female was annoying, with a shrill cheer that she held on to just a tad bit too long.  But, all in all, they were respectful.  Hate the IN YOUR FACE opponents who are cocky and cringe worthy.  Calm down and take your meds.  Preferably, as you board the bus to go home.

yeah the Demko chants were great last night, loved hearing that. Loved how chipper Edler was last night too.

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was not able to watch game live as it was way too late but a few reflections:

• Buffalo has assembled some nice players - lots of speed - but they are not coached very well
  • Demko is the real deal.   I have more on him on his player thread - I am blown away how mature he looked and his reflexes were off the charts...he just needs to get a bit more positionally solid
  • DP showed a few times why he was the CHL Dman of the year and such a high first round pick - he also showed why he sits games - Canucks could really use a D coach for this kid who has more offensive flair .... or maybe Hughes and OJ coming in over the next while will create that by osmosis
  • Virtanen played a solid game again and no one seems to notice 
  • Edler sure likes to hit past few weeks
  • Stecher is getting physically outmatched more than he was earlier in the season
  • Loui must love having the Nylander contract (and Lucic for that matter) to point to
  • Horvat looks tired but driven - All Star break is perfect timing for him
  • Guddy needs to simplify his game a bit more
  • Tanev does soooo many good things - guy is a beast
  • Motte remains a revelation and not sure why more people are not raving about him
  • Beagle is almost as much a captain right now as Horvat - never seems to not try and do everything at full-speed
  • Hutton had an uneven game but it still would have been better than 90% plus of his games last year

Some great points here.

I do disagree about Stech, Bo and Hutty though.  Thing is, stuff happens away from the play that impacts it.  As stated...they were REALLY holding Bo's stick...for prolonged periods that would tie him up.  Then he'd have to work, hard, to get into position.  So people maybe see him coming in behind the play but there was a reason for it.

Stech holds his own just fine and it's never easy to push him off the play.  He digs in, hard.

Motte was amazing. 

Hutty was doing a lot of things right...not sure what you mean by "uneven".   Was out there A LOT (seems like he may have had top minutes?...will check).  Blocking shots, just doing whatever to get it done.

Here was TSN's take on Bo:

While he didn't score, he did everything else to help his hockey club. He set up two of the team's first three goals and played a pivotal role in the other driving hard to the net and taking a Buffalo defender with him allowing to convert a centering feed that gave the Canucks their first lead of the night. Horvat had just one shot on goal -- and he's now gone 11 games without scoring a goal -- but he was the offensive engine on a team that didn't have everyone going on the night. Horvat won 14 of his first 16 face-offs and through two periods of play was the only Canuck centre with more than two face-off wins. He finished the night 17 & 7 winning half of the team's 34 draws on the night. Horvat's second assist of the game -- a pretty set-up for an easy tap-in -- was the 200th point of his NHL career. In 344 games as a Canuck, Horvat now has 88 goals and 112 assists. If he plays like he did on Friday, the goals will come. 

Mostly, when Bo "took a defender with him" it was because they were holding on to him.  But he plowed through anyhow.

Bo was captaining, hard.  The guys who pave the way for others stuff.  No basking in the glory in this, but behind the scenes stuff where he's working his tail off so others can do what needs to be done.

12 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

Character win but I don't like their Chip and Chase approach. It's responsible but way less entertaining. It's as though a one goal lead turns the Nucks into old Jersey.

Crazy how Buffalo can tic tac toe the puck. they have heaps of skill and will be a force soon like the Nucks but with less work boots.

But please don't switch to buyers...keep stocking the cupboards for continued strength. Next year would be OK if the team gels and fends off injuries.

The only thing they should be buying is Tryankim’s KHL contract out. 

12 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Pettersson Demko Hughes Boeser all on the ice at same time, exciting to think about 

Ppl hate on Pouliot for his defensive mistakes but think Hughes will be a top 4 right away. 

There's going to be a learning curve for Hughes in the NHL.

He won't be a rover like his NCAA coach allows or Green will bench him. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he spends time in Utica next season. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Ppl hate on Pouliot for his defensive mistakes but think Hughes will be a top 4 right away. 

Hughes is smart I think he can adjust to the NHL quickly. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

my advice is to take cover immediately

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Buffalo reminds me a bit like the recent cOilers. All of this high end talent, and aren't in a playoff spot. They've got speed, lots of it, but something is missing. They're fun to watch though.

I’ve had eichel in my pool the last two years.  Last year I had Rogers game centre and outside of the Canuck, I watched the sabres the most.  As you say.  Entertaining. Jack is a fantastic player.

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hughes is smart I think he can adjust to the NHL quickly. 

Very smart.

He's also young small and a rookie when he comes here.. 

Reason DET didn't pick him was Jeff Blashill thought it would be difficult to translate his game to NHL. He coached him at worlds and Hughes played in wings backyard. 

1 hour ago, AllWeatherFan said:

The only thing they should be buying is Tryankim’s KHL contract out. 

I agree.

Aside from that I would probably make an exception - and be aggressive in pursuit of a player like Boone Jenner, granted that's a weathered idea of mine that was a better idea the past few years whereas at this point he might be approaching untouchable.

Still - the profile of a guy that can play a heavier two-way game - skate, hit, forecheck, with skill, and support EP without the puck - would be one principal type player I'd be looking to add.

That said, Leivo was a helluva bargain option in that sense that even if he doesn't have the upside you ideally want with EP, still improves the team down the lineup.

I think the team is approaching a point of wealth of futures that it can afford to make one mid range exception for the right player and not significantly impact their prospect pool - or mess up their salary/contract structure or weaken their flexibility moving forward.

13 hours ago, the_impersonator13 said:

He's had some sick dangles past couple games. Not DekeyPete dangles but sick dangles none the less.

Yes. He's been good last cpl games especially last night. His best game as a Canuck. 

First few games he was great then fizzled out. But what ever his pre game routine has been last 2 games he should stick to it. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

DP showed a few times why he was the CHL Dman of the year and such a high first round pick - he also showed why he sits games - Canucks could really use a D coach for this kid who has more offensive flair .... or maybe Hughes and OJ coming in over the next while will create that by osmosis

•  

-If I wanted to learn how to be an electrician, I'd hope my teacher wasn't a plumber.

-Motte is a damn beauty, the kid plays so hungry and determined every shift. Some of us have been loving his drive and tenacity from day one, very Hansen-esque in his puck hounding. He'll continue to fly under the radar and be undervalued by a lot of people in the fan base because he doesn't put up many points. He plays like a winner though. No quit in him at all.

Archived