The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Swede Ever?

J-Dizzle

Best Swede Ever?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lidstrom followed closely by Forsberg. Sundin is 3rd. Toss-up after that. Nilsson had insane skill but not great longevity. Lundqvist has been great and has the longevity but only one Vezina and no cup. Zetterberg has the longevity, the points, played a good two-way game, has the cups, plus a Conn Smythe. 

I'd go Lidstrom - Forsberg - Sundin - Zetterberg - Lundqvist - Nilsson. After that I am not sure. 

37 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Lidstrom followed closely by Forsberg. Sundin is 3rd. Toss-up after that. Nilsson had insane skill but not great longevity. Lundqvist has been great and has the longevity but only one Vezina and no cup. Zetterberg has the longevity, the points, played a good two-way game, has the cups, plus a Conn Smythe. 

I'd go Lidstrom - Forsberg - Sundin - Zetterberg - Lundqvist - Nilsson. After that I am not sure. 

I think people are sleeping on Alfredsson a bit.

I'd go 

1. Lidstrom

2. Forsberg

3. Sundin

4. Lundqvist

5. Alfredsson

For 6-8, it gets difficult between Nilsson, Zetterberg, and Karlsson to me.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think people are sleeping on Alfredsson a bit.

I'd go 

1. Lidstrom

2. Forsberg

3. Sundin

4. Lundqvist

5. Alfredsson

For 6-8, it gets difficult between Nilsson, Zetterberg, and Karlsson to me.

Alfredsson had a much better career looking back on his numbers than I thought. I remember he had a few really good seasons but his points per game was consistently high other than a few seasons. He finished with a higher points per game than Zetterberg. Good call. 

Much as I absolutely dispise the Laffs, I have to acknowledge Borje Salming's career that opened to door for all the subsequent Swedish allstars.  He took a TON of abuse (not just in the media but on the ice) but was a warrior.  Still think he had the stenk of the Laffs on him but I have to respect the player (**** the Leafs....ahhhh I don't feel so dirty).

Remember he played in dirty the Broad Street Bullies days.  Even a guy like Guds would have his hands full playing in that era.

Just now, 406in604 said:

Both were the best, different positions.

Yeah... Kind of but not really.

If you were a GM and you were picking first overall, who would you pick, knowing what you know now?

I'd pick Lidstrom and don't even have to think twice about it.

Forsberg IMO is by far the best Swedish forward to ever play in the NHL.

It gets tricky at #3

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

If you were a GM and you were picking first overall, who would you pick, knowing what you know now?

It gets tricky at #3

I pick Forsberg. That's the great part about being arm chair GMs.

16 minutes ago, luckylager said:

It gets tricky at #3

I agree. I think given the discussion I’ll throw up a ‘second best’ on Wednesday and a ‘third best’ going into the weekend. 

Imho Forsberg and Lidstrom are top two no brainer (I voted Forsberg #1) but I guess we’ll see :) 

20 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I agree. I think given the discussion I’ll throw up a ‘second best’ on Wednesday and a ‘third best’ going into the weekend. 

Imho Forsberg and Lidstrom are top two no brainer (I voted Forsberg #1) but I guess we’ll see

Just skip to #3. 

I guess it depends on the situation.  

Defending the lead with a minute left in the game in your own zone.... Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Lundqvist (obviously as he's a goalie).  

Down by a goal with an offensive zone draw.... Forsberg, Karlsson and maybe Sundin.  

Franchise player to build around.... it also depends on philosophy.  You want arguably the best NHL defenseman of all time in Lidstrom?  A prolific scoring and physical centre in Forsberg?  A very big, dominant and durable centre in Sundin?

My choice will be Lidstrom.  

Archived