The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

semi ugly sunday lunchtime game.   detroit was better prepared and wanted it more but  is leaning way too hard on its veterans. it bit them in the third when they lost steam.   i like the scoring distribution we have seen develop since ep was hurt and hope it diesn't dry up again with everyone deferring to him.  

canucks are not that good, especially on d, but neither is the league.  a lot of fragile teams out there.  i think canucks are going on a roll here.  pettersson back with a lot of other guys already playing well should mean more offence until they start leaning on ep again.  

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It's my impression this team lets off the gas and loses their sense of urgency when Pettersson is playing.

The rest of the team has to keep their edge because sometimes it will be up to them to win a game... Petey can't do it every time.  This game was won because Pettersson was in the lineup, but the team played worse than last game.  They frankly deserved to lose... but Marky had a great game.  (again :) )

What can you say about Roussel?  Just when your ready to say he is a f*ckup penalty-taking wild man who all over the ice but can't score on a breakaway, he goes and gets a beautiful tip for the winner.  He finds a way to redeem himself.  B)  I keep trying to decide who he reminds me the most of... Burrows, Hansen, Torres, Rypien.... he has a little bit of all those guys, with a big chunk of his own personality.  One thing for sure, he does keep you watching.

What else... Well, another great game from Marky... didn't make a single bad move or error as far as I could see.... just SOLID.

And nice to see Bo get a goal and I loved to see how excited Petey was when he did... he hobbled over to congratulate him with a big smile on his face.  Also nice to see how Boes was thrilled at Petey's tip... I like the bonding which is happening.

Now if only Jake could get his mojo back... I think the first step he needs to take is to start hitting... when he is physically engaged, that is when he is scoring.  Right now he is still playing too much on the periphery.

In the Playoffs...  Hmmmm....  <_<  Not sure if I am happy...   think the team needs another high draft.  But if they are going, they are going... even if they will likely be 1 series and done.

Lappy+ Burr = Roussel. I am really going to love watching him in the playoffs (if we make it this year, and if not next). He's the kind of player that just drives teams nuts, and in the playoffs that matters even more.

We just need Jake to channel some of that fire now as well....love this guy

7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

In the last 20 years, no rookie has put up a better p/pg average (min. 30 games played) compared to Pettersson. 

5M9Cfdp.png

What's really astounding is that shooting percentage (28%)!!! No other player with that many goals is even close. Petterson doesn't need a lot of opportunities to score and those numbers prove it.

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It's my impression this team lets off the gas and loses their sense of urgency when Pettersson is playing.

The rest of the team has to keep their edge because sometimes it will be up to them to win a game... Petey can't do it every time.  This game was won because Pettersson was in the lineup, but the team played worse than last game.  They frankly deserved to lose... but Marky had a great game.  (again :) )

What can you say about Roussel?  Just when your ready to say he is a f*ckup penalty-taking wild man who all over the ice but can't score on a breakaway, he goes and gets a beautiful tip for the winner.  He finds a way to redeem himself.  B)  I keep trying to decide who he reminds me the most of... Burrows, Hansen, Torres, Rypien.... he has a little bit of all those guys, with a big chunk of his own personality.  One thing for sure, he does keep you watching.

What else... Well, another great game from Marky... didn't make a single bad move or error as far as I could see.... just SOLID.

And nice to see Bo get a goal and I loved to see how excited Petey was when he did... he hobbled over to congratulate him with a big smile on his face.  Also nice to see how Boes was thrilled at Petey's tip... I like the bonding which is happening.

Now if only Jake could get his mojo back... I think the first step he needs to take is to start hitting... when he is physically engaged, that is when he is scoring.  Right now he is still playing too much on the periphery.

In the Playoffs...  Hmmmm....  <_<  Not sure if I am happy...   think the team needs another high draft.  But if they are going, they are going... even if they will likely be 1 series and done.

Agree on all these points. Jake however is a different animal from the big guns. He just doesn’t know it or won’t accept it. I hope he keeps working on his skills this summer. Kid is a hybrid animal but a 100% hockey player. 

20 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

The most amazing thing about EP to me really is his ability and desire to play hard in his own end. Most offensive superstars take years and years to develop that commitment and team first attitude. If you look around the league, there really isn't any other player with his level of offensive skill also who gives it as hard in his own end other than. McDavid, Matthews, Laine, Eichel, Kane, none of these guys play a 200ft game like he does. You have guys like Bergeron, Bo, etc so are 'good' offensive players who play hard in their own end, but the "elite' scorers, seldom do. He really does play alot like Datsyuk - a guy who will get 90-100 pts and be stellar in his own end. His block tonight likely saved a goal.

This kid is a generational talent and in a few years, we may be happy we have him over McDavid, I already am.

I think it speaks to his fierce competitiveness.

He HATES to lose as much as he loves to win.  I say this because if he loses a puck battle or creates a turnover, he fights HARD to reverse things.  He's so incredibly accountable and never satisfied with "good enough".  Many at that level of talent don't have that sense of responsibility that he has.

A very special player indeed.  I still can't really believe he's ours.

Plus, he's just a super chill/cool guy.  Very honest/matter of fact and nothing forced or phoney about him.  God, even how he handles the media is a step above where he should be at this point.

McWho? 

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think it speaks to his fierce competitiveness.

He HATES to lose as much as he loves to win.  I say this because if he loses a puck battle or creates a turnover, he fights HARD to reverse things.  He's so incredibly accountable and never satisfied with "good enough".  Many at that level of talent don't have that sense of responsibility that he has.

A very special player indeed.  I still can't really believe he's ours.

Plus, he's just a super chill/cool guy.  Very honest/matter of fact and nothing forced or phoney about him.  God, even how he handles the media is a step above where he should be at this point.

McWho? 

He has the same fire to win, and get better as Sid - I don't see even McDavid having that. McDavid is amazing to watch but he isn't making his teammates better, nor does he seem to have the commitment to be the best in ALL facets of the game. Sid, Yzerman, Sakic, Datsyuk, did....So does Petey

3 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

He has the same fire to win, and get better as Sid - I don't see even McDavid having that. McDavid is amazing to watch but he isn't making his teammates better, nor does he seem to have the commitment to be the best in ALL facets of the game. Sid, Yzerman, Sakic, Datsyuk, did....So does Petey

McDavid is a really good player... the best in the league offensively right now.  To say he doesn't make his team mates better is way off the facts... look at the points his linemates are putting up.  If Draisaitl was that good on his own, then he'd be on a separate line and Edmonton's scoring problems would be solved.  But he has to stay with McDavid.

Defensively?.... no, McDavid is not particularly good, but he is not bad... he is not a floater that way.

Every team in the league would trade for McDavid if they had a chance.  Right now I think McDavid would probably welcome a trade... because the management of the Oilers has been the worst in the league as far as putting a supporting cast around him.  I used to think Kevin Lowe's management was the all time worst ever, but now I am thinking Chiarelli's is actually worse.

Personally I am not sure Petey will match the offensive stats of McDavid... but as has been said, he will make up for that with his defensive play.

On a day where EP is 33% in the faceoff circle it's sure nice to have Beagle (67%), Horvat (61%) and Sutter (55%) in behind him.

Damn I love that Beagle Motte line - those guys never fail to push back.

Thank you Thomas Vanek - and a good showing for him in his return as well.

I thought the Hutton Stecher pairing struggled a bit today, but nothing to be concerned about.

Archived