The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

On a day where EP is 33% in the faceoff circle it's sure nice to have Beagle (67%), Horvat (61%) and Sutter (55%) in behind him.

Damn I love that Beagle Motte line - those guys never fail to push back.

Barring injury, does Goldy get back into the lineup?  

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

McDavid is a really good player... the best in the league offensively right now.  To say he doesn't make his team mates better is way off the facts... look at the points his linemates are putting up.  If Draisaitl was that good on his own, then he'd be on a separate line and Edmonton's scoring problems would be solved.  But he has to stay with McDavid.

Defensively?.... no, McDavid is not particularly good, but he is not bad... he is not a floater that way.

Every team in the league would trade for McDavid if they had a chance.  Right now I think McDavid would probably welcome a trade... because the management of the Oilers has been the worst in the league as far as putting a supporting cast around him.  I used to think Kevin Lowe's management was the all time worst ever, but now I am thinking Chiarelli's is actually worse.

Personally I am not sure Petey will match the offensive stats of McDavid... but as has been said, he will make up for that with his defensive play.

I think McDavid doesn't make his teammates better not because of the points he gets them when they play with him, but that he doesn't inspire them. Petey's drive, commitment to play 200ft sends a message to every player on our team, that being, "If I can do it, you can do it'. I think you missed the point. Any player who played with Bure put up points, but it didn't make him a 'better player'. And  I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "any team would want McDavid" - that had nothing to do with my point nor did I suggest that wouldn't be the case.

14 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

I think McDavid doesn't make his teammates better not because of the points he gets them when they play with him, but that he doesn't inspire them. Petey's drive, commitment to play 200ft sends a message to every player on our team, that being, "If I can do it, you can do it'. I think you missed the point. Any player who played with Bure put up points but it didn't make him a 'better player'. And  I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "any team would want McDavid" - that had nothing to do with my point nor did I suggest that wouldn't be the case.

I'm picking Petey over McDavid.  McDavid has come to whine and complain when he's being targeted.  He has no response  at times.  His coach has come to defend him...Petey defends himself.   Looking for excuses versus Petey's way of looking to improve. There's a difference in how they think about things that gives Petey the edge for me.

Petey accepts the heat he takes out there and instead of focusing on being a victim, has a mentality that he has to find a way to get better.  The sky's the limit.

I don't dispute McDavid's skill.  I just find that there's something very rare in Petey's mindset, IQ, how he makes room for himself, how HARD he gets back when he does make an error..not THAT he gets back...it's the will and determination that follows him. 

A player who has no ego and is so committed to constantly improve is scary good.  He's just out of the gates...I see him taking over this hockey world.

Edmonton can keep McDavid.  He's very special, sure.  But there's just not that hunger to get better...I feel like he's settled in as "the best". 

That leaves the door open for others to surpass him. 

32 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Petey is a game changer. Yet another clutch performance by Marky.

31 minutes ago, KeslerWho? said:

So proud of the boys! 

Really need to stop these slow starts in the 1st though. Canucks did really well at keeping Detroit to the outside in those last 3-5 minutes

31 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

Didn't have their A game and still won! Signs of a playoff team =). Good to have EP back and Marky continuing to play well! 

The summary headlines for today's win have to be Marky, Pettersson and Horvat.

1. A lot of recent summaries of Canuck games could start with adage that the team with the better goalie usually wins. That applies again today. Marky kept the Canucks in this game through the first two periods. The Canucks were lucky to be down by just one goal going into the third period -- close enough to come back for the win. Thanks, Marky. He deserved to be one of the stars.

2. Obviously it is great to have EP40 back. His assist was not exactly a skill play but, as usual, he was in the right place at the right time. Also, credit to Green for putting Boeser, EP and Horvat out together for a third period o-zone faceoff in a close game. EP was not actually at his best today and made a couple of uncharacteristic giveaways, but when he did he came back really hard on defense including stopping a likely goal with a shot block in the crease. He just has a fantastic compete level as well as great skills. We could not really ask for a better return after his injury.

3,. Horvat had another excellent game and was unlucky to get just one goal. Hope he is okay after taking a puck to face. He was spitting up blood in the last couple of shifts. Great leader. I keep saying just name the guy captain.

4. Nice to see Jake finally get on the board again. It has been a while. He made a very nice play on the winning goal -- covering the right spot defensively and getting a good shot away.

5. Interesting to see the defensive change. Green went to Hutton with Tanev for the toughest minutes late. Hutton has come a long way this year.

6. Roussel had a typical Roussel game -- making life difficult for the top Detroit forwards. He took a couple of penalties and could have easily been called for a couple more. But he played a key shutdown role and in the end he scored the GWG. I admit that I have mixed feelings about guys like Roussel but he is helping the team.

7. The PK played an important role again, with Sutter, Erkisson, and Beagle putting in the big minutes for forwards.

8. Despite all the positives, it is hard not to notice that Detroit had a significant territorial edge and a significant edge in shots and scoring chances (31-23) according to Natural Stat Trick). And Detroit is not that good. To try to be a bit objective, Baertschi did not have a great game today and neither did Granlund. Also, Leivo had a good game last game, but I am not sold on him yet. Not to get too carried away with numbers, but he had worst scoring chance corsi among the Canuck forwards today. (13 to 4 against at 5-on-5 according to Natural Stat Trick).

Still, a nice win, Great way to welcome EP back, who continues his drive to the Calder. Any nice games from the young guys who are keys to the future: EP, Horvat, Boeser, and Virtanen. And future goaltending looks like it is taking shape with Marky and Demko.

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

Who remembers this gem from before the season started?

61B649EA-DC7C-4860-ACC6-12289A3204E7.jpeg

Saw that a couple times now....but who said it?  

Lessons in not playing fool's games.

What was clear last year was that the Sedins were still serviceable, but at 74% ozone starts were producing half of what they would have in their prime.

And so I was one of the dumb homers that actually thought a few young players might be able to manage their production in those minutes.

Add to that the very solid depth that Benning added in free agency - another top flight shutdown center who's a really solid faceoff guy - signings he was mocked widely for - and yet those bottom six guys are effectively doing precisely what the plan was - to handle the hard minutes and free up enough opportunity for the young top 6 to flourish.

So the joke is squarely on the loudmouths that wondered wtf "DimJim" was doing?   It might be a bit clearer at this point.

People may not be expecting a playoff run, but this team when healthy is clearly every bit as competitive as they were with the Sedins, with arguably better depth - so maybe people shouldn't be so surprised if they had enough idea about team-building to pretend to mock Benning's thinking on this.

Finally... THE BO HAS COME BACK! TO VANCOUVER. 12 games is a Long time for The Bo to go without whipping some ass but tonight! 18 THOUSAND STRONG, The Bo walked out, we did the anthems, we did the puck drop, but theres one thing that kept The Bo going stronger than ever during that stretch, during today and that was the people. All the Bo heard was that little black disk go straight up Bernie's candy ass and hearing The People chant The Bo's name! 

Now you ask The Bo about tonight's officiating? The Bo says this: Tim Peel where are you? Maybe you're in the women's bathroom. Maybe not but The Bo knows you pee sitting down! And when Tim Peel was a little boy, he would crouch near his bed, look at the lord above and say: Dear Lord, all I want to be is an NHL referee but everyone hates me because I absolutely suck! 

Detroit Red Wings: you played a hell of a game! And The Bo respects that but that's not stopping the Bo from taking your little red wings and stickin em straight up your candy asses! 

IF YOU SMELLLLL WHAT THE BO. IS. COOKIN 

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Finally... THE BO HAS COME BACK! TO VANCOUVER. 12 games is a Long time for The Bo to go without whipping some ass but tonight! 18 THOUSAND STRONG, The Bo walked out, we did the anthems, we did the puck drop, but theres one thing that kept The Bo going stronger than ever during that stretch, during today and that was the people. All the Bo heard was that little black disk go straight up Bernie's candy ass and hearing The People chant The Bo's name! 

Now you ask The Bo about tonight's officiating? The Bo says this: Tim Peel where are you? Maybe you're in the women's bathroom. Maybe not but The Bo knows you pee sitting down! And when Tim Peel was a little boy, he would crouch near his bed, look at the lord above and say: Dear Lord, all I want to be is an NHL referee but everyone hates me because I absolutely suck! 

Detroit Red Wings: you played a hell of a game! And The Bo respects that but that's not stopping the Bo from taking your little red wings and stickin em straight up your candy asses! 

IF YOU SMELLLLL WHAT THE BO. IS. COOKIN 

The peoples captain! 

So the Canucks are tied with, or ahead of Dallas, Colorado, Anaheim, Minnesota, St Louis and Edmonton.

And the Habs are 1 pt behind Toronto, tied with Washington, Columbus, Boston...

Whodabetonthat?

While the Flames and Jets lead the Western Conference....

Lottery Champions in Toronto and Edmonton have some work to do....

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

So the Canucks are tied with, or ahead of Dallas, Colorado, Anaheim, Minnesota, St Louis and Edmonton.

And the Habs are 1 pt behind Toronto, tied with Washington, Columbus, Boston...

Whodabetonthat?

While the Flames and Jets lead the Western Conference....

Lottery Champions in Toronto and Edmonton have some work to do....

Ya I noticed those too. Expect the unexpected this season. 

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

On a day where EP is 33% in the faceoff circle it's sure nice to have Beagle (67%), Horvat (61%) and Sutter (55%) in behind him.

Damn I love that Beagle Motte line - those guys never fail to push back.

Thank you Thomas Vanek - and a good showing for him in his return as well.

I thought the Hutton Stecher pairing struggled a bit today, but nothing to be concerned about.

Hey Oldboy what are your thoughts on Poul this game? Just curious. 

Archived