The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Saw that a couple times now....but who said it?  

Lessons in not playing fool's games.

What was clear last year was that the Sedins were still serviceable, but at 74% ozone starts were producing half of what they would have in their prime.

And so I was one of the dumb homers that actually thought a few young players might be able to manage their production in those minutes.

Add to that the very solid depth that Benning added in free agency - another top flight shutdown center who's a really solid faceoff guy - signings he was mocked widely for - and yet those bottom six guys are effectively doing precisely what the plan was - to handle the hard minutes and free up enough opportunity for the young top 6 to flourish.

So the joke is squarely on the loudmouths that wondered wtf "DimJim" was doing?   It might be a bit clearer at this point.

People may not be expecting a playoff run, but this team when healthy is clearly every bit as competitive as they were with the Sedins, with arguably better depth - so maybe people shouldn't be so surprised if they had enough idea about team-building to pretend to mock Benning's thinking on this.

I remember being laughed at and mocked in a group chat I was in when I suggested we could fight for a playoff spot this year. If we do get in I’m gonna expect an apology from those people. 

13 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I think Virtanen is going to benefit and grow a ton from playing on a line with Roussel.  

I think long term he's going to benefit from playing what looks to be an entire year on the shutdown line. His production has dropped lately but I think that has had a lot to do with playing with Sutter again.

17 minutes ago, Pears said:

I remember being laughed at and mocked in a group chat I was in when I suggested we could fight for a playoff spot this year. If we do get in I’m gonna expect an apology from those people. 

Did you say Canuck will make the playoffs cuz there’s tons of crappy teams this season.  Or are you just a homer.

Marky has looked like a great starting goalie in this league.

He was again fantastic.

This was an entertaining game for sure.. EP40 looked a little rusty at the start of the game.

But he looked more comfortable as the game went on.

Hope Boeser re-gains some confidence playing alongside EP40.. And show some synergistic growth!

Was at the game. Was surrounded by Wings fans, so the comeback felt really good.

Takeaways:

How Marky didn't get any star baffles me. Dude played incredible, neither goal was on him.

Not Pettersson's best game, but what a beautiful deflection that was.

Good to see Jake get a point, he was flying.

Bo knows.

Not the best game we've played. The D was fairly sloppy in the first two periods. Markstrom bailed us out more than he should have.

Great to get the win, but the Canucks need to be better in the first two periods.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Marky the real mvp, held us in long enough to get going again

EP and Boeser with a pair of points, Bo bumps the slump and we're in a playoff spot!

So many guys could be MVPs this year, Edler, EP40, Horvat and Marky.  Looking forward to debating a positive based player issue with the Canucks this year.  

3 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Did you say Canuck will make the playoffs cuz there’s tons of crappy teams this season.  Or are you just a homer.

Tons of crappy teams when in the West everyone except Chicago and LA are within 4-6 points of the 2nd wild card? That’s competitive if you ask me. 

25 minutes ago, Pears said:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

mock ... mock ... mock. 

Just now, HockeyHarry said:

That called a bunch of teams stuck in the mud if you ask me.

Why does the crappiness of the west matter?  We are in the playoff hunt.  Having games that mean this much (for our young group) is what’s most important.  

1 hour ago, 40Dangles said:

I think McDavid doesn't make his teammates better not because of the points he gets them when they play with him, but that he doesn't inspire them. Petey's drive, commitment to play 200ft sends a message to every player on our team, that being, "If I can do it, you can do it'. I think you missed the point. Any player who played with Bure put up points, but it didn't make him a 'better player'. And  I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "any team would want McDavid" - that had nothing to do with my point nor did I suggest that wouldn't be the case.

I can see your point.  The playing style of EP40 is veteran level.  He is committed to the play wherever the puck is.  Alot if not all great players come into the league and are only focused on offence.  

Crosby needed to learn that, Gretzky never really did, but he was so skilled he didn't have too.  Bure would float, Yzerman wasn't s playoff hero until he radically changed his approach to the game.  The Twins never got there.  

McDavid is a great player and doesn't have the veterans on the roster to teach him that game.  Hitchcock might.  That is an Oiler problem and has been since they traded Smyth away.  

EP40 just came into the league as a rookie playing the game like a conn smythe level player.  That's rare as consensus on the CDC.  

12 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

So many guys could be MVPs this year, Edler, EP40, Horvat and Marky.  Looking forward to debating a positive based player issue with the Canucks this year.  

For sure, we've definitely had different guys step up from game to game. It's just nice to be able to talk about goaltending as a strength lately, Marky's really played well this last month and a bit.

8 minutes ago, -Stammer- said:

Roussel is such an a-hole and I love it. I see why Bruins fans like Marchand

Not all Bruins fans like Marchand's antics though.

Getting under guys skin to throw them off their game and being a low down, dirty, no good, cheap little rat prick are entirely different.

Also, Roussel will answer the bell. March and is a chicken $&!# turtling coward.

Archived