The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good has JB drafted in his 5 drafts since taking over for MG

Gator

Bennings draft record  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

this was my favorite draft class and our best all the way up to the beginning of this season. Virtanen might be slowly progressing, but he is and he's not going to be that 100pt player, but he is the exact type of player you want in the playoffs. He's not the reason that draft class is such a good one, as so far Virtanen's proved to be an "OK" grab at #6, it's who came after him that makes it pretty special. Demko and Tryamkin are 2 legit great prospects, Tryamkin is still in my future outlook for us and he does have elite defensive/tough guy potential, and Demko is a potential future vezina winner, but still has a lot to prove. McCann is another OK player so far and he's a potential candidate to fall to the AHL level in a few years, Forsling is OK and probably in the same boat as McCann.

Boeser and Gaudette are the big names here and what a steal both of these guys were. I remember this year, the year I joined team tank in hopes of getting McDavid, but instead we make the freaking playoffs! Lost to the freaking Flames! Could it get any worse? No McDavid, lost to Flames, and pick 23rd? Then Brock Boeser happened, future 40-50g scorer. WOW! Bravo JB you are the man! Gaudette, still unproven, but man he has great potential for a 5th round pick. Brisboise was looking very good from what I've read but I havn't heard much lately to say for sure. Zhukenov is another guy that looked pretty good right after we drafted him but I havn't heard much on him lately either.

Now this draft is one where I got what I wanted, it may pay off, but it doesn't look good so far. Thachuk is looking very impressive, but I still understand why we passed on him. I'm still a huge Juolevi fan and I still see him being a solid top 4 guy, but still has top pairing potential. He's not explosive like most recently drafted Quinn Hughes but man he is very calm with the puck and has the potential to be a great PP QB. Outside of him and a good but not great Lockwood, this draft isn't that great. If Juolevi doesn't pan out it'd actually be a very bad draft. Just wasn't JBs year

hard to compare the more recent drafts

we do not know how those young players will develop yet

i'd say the last 2 should not count

but jb killed it in 2017, so it can count, and it is my fav

but many prospects are too green for us to know if they'll be nhlers

but ep40 kinda wins that draft year in my view

and the top 4 picks could turn out really well

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

hard to compare the more recent drafts

we do not know how those young players will develop yet

i'd say the last 2 should not count

but jb killed it in 2017, so i can count, and it is my fav

but many prospects are too green for us to know if they'll be nhlers

but ep40 kinda wins that draft year in my view

and the top 4 picks could turn out really well

Ya I completely agree. Pettersson alone gives 2017 the win but other prospects are still in that "hype" part of their careers. DiPietro is looking like Demko is not such a sure thing for us anymore too, that kid is looking special. I love the top 4 picks, but Pettersson and DiPietro are my favorite

WOW I'm shocked at how many are picking 2014 as worst draft class. Yeah the 2 1st rounders didn't turn into Pettersson and Boeser, but don't sleep on Demko and Tryamkin. Even if Tryamkin don't come back to NA he was still worth the gamble because he has elite potential. That's the 2nd best draft class for us IMO

The 2014 draft was great simply for the sheer number of NHLers he was able to nab, although his top 2 picks admittedly could have been much better.

The 2015 draft is looking very good. A legitimate star in Boeser, and a promising center is Gaudette. Brisebois and Jasek both look like they have legitimate shots at being NHLers as well.

The 2016 draft is undoubtedly GMJB's weakest. To this date it hasn't produced a single NHLer. That being said, odds are Juolevi will make the NHL within the next year or so, and Lockwood could still end up making the big leagues as well. If Juolevi can become a solid NHL defender and Lockwood can make it as a solid bottom 6 forward, it'll end up being a not-too-bad draft.

The 2017 draft was a monster. While it's only produced one NHLer so far, that NHLer happens to be Elias Pettersson, who will likely end up being one of the top 5 best picks we've ever made. That in and of itself makes 2017 a huge win. The fact that every other player selected in that draft still has a shot at being an NHLer makes it look that much better.

The 2018 draft looks to be quite the monster as well. Hughes is pretty much a lock, while both Woo and Madden are far exceeding expectations. As of this moment, is kinda looks like we ended up with three 1st rd picks. 

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The 2017 draft was a monster. While it's only produced one NHLer so far, that NHLer happens to be Elias Pettersson, who will likely end up being one of the top 5 best picks we've ever made.

While I agree that he has the potential to be that, I wouldn't use the word likely YET.

Canucks drafted:

1) Cam Neely

2) Pavel Bure

3a) Henrik Sedin

3b) Daniel Sedin

3c) Trevor Linden

4) Ryan Kesler

5) Mattias Ohlund  (he was THAT good defensively in his prime - Guds wishes he could be that effective defensive & he wasn't a cupcake)

6) Mike Peca (I should probably rank him higher than Ohlund but screw it, the crazy Viking had his best years as a Canuck lol)

(rankings not in any particular order upon reflection...)

I'm hesitant to put Rick Vaive in here (in spite of him scoring 50+ goals three times in his NHL career - heck, it seemed like a ton of guys had 50 goal seasons in this era) 

Not the biggest list when you consider how many decades the Canucks have been in the league but still those guys are not that easy to exceed in terms of individual performance.

Was going over the draft of the core for 2011 and it's an interesting comparison.  At least we know how everybody turned out but it was much thinner than Benning's record to date.

1999  D Sedin (2), H Sedin (3)

2001  Bieksa (151)

2003  Kesler (23)

2004  Schneider (26), Edler (91)

2005  Raymond (51)

Noteables:  2001 RJ Umberger (16) would not sign with Canucks, 2005  L Bourdon (10) died in motorcycle accident

Luongo was acquired by trade and Burrows was undrafted.  

The Canucks were blanked twice during the time when the previous core were being drafted.

The period of time was 6 drafts.  2019 will be Benning's 6th.  Horvat was drafted 6 drafts ago

in my opinion, juolevi will become a dependable 2nd pairing d-man as will woo. hughes will eventually be a top pairing d-man. we need one more top pairing d-man. 

pettersson, boeser and eventually gaudette, virtanen, lind and gadjovich.  i hope they prove to be good steady nhl'ers.  demko and dipietro are good picks too. 

i think his drafting has been good, not always great but good.

Archived