xereau

[GDT] Canes @ Nucks Wed Jan 23 2019 -- All Star Break Edition --

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a good point EdgarM (congrats on the Hall btw) We need a well rounded team, where the complimentary players are very good too.  I think JB is doing a really good job of building from both the top and the bottom. 

Thanks Alf I was getting a little worried. ::D I have seen this team go through so much I am just looking for a well rounded team. Looking at past versions of this team, the most entertaining and successful were in the 90's. I really thought that the more talented we became, the more success we would have. This has not come to fruition. 

So many years of one and out or two and out during the playoffs. Why the lack of success with such talent on this team? 

The 2011 team had so much talent I was thinking to myself, how can we lose? Well......we lost. 

The one common denominator I seen over the years? you work hard for 60 minutes, you usually win and if you don't win, well at least the fans were entertained.

Another thing, Super talented players tend to take the odd night off. Petey? He is a whole new breed which I wish we had 22 more of.

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's actually a great point and another reason not to tank.  They need this 1st round pick to hit, be a rock solid player, but not an instant superstar like Petey.

Yep, because assuming Hughes plays as we expect he’s going to command top dollar when he re-signs in three years. Petey is going to get PAID we know that.  You have Bo at $6 and Boeser in between Bo and Petey. If Demko arrives he’ll get paid. We will have issues if we get another really high end player keeping the crew together long term. 

Burke said it best recently, he said a change has happened in the NHL where RFA kids on their second contract are now commanding UFA dollars. You used to be able to bridge and now that’s gone. This is causing havoc with a team’s window and cap. The landscape has changed and I don’t think we want to Toronto’s “2 year window”. Media in Toronto has already said they HAVE to go for it this year because next year they are screwed. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Thanks Alf I was getting a little worried. ::D I have seen this team go through so much I am just looking for a well rounded team. Looking at past versions of this team, the most entertaining and successful were in the 90's. I really thought that the more talented we became, the more success we would have. This has not come to fruition. 

So many years of one and out or two and out during the playoffs. Why the lack of success with such talent on this team? 

The 2011 team had so much talent I was thinking to myself, how can we lose? Well......we lost. 

The one common denominator I seen over the years? you work hard for 60 minutes, you usually win and if you don't win, well at least the fans were entertained.

Another thing, Super talented players tend to take the odd night off. Petey? He is a whole new breed which I wish we had 22 more of.

Answer = Injuries.  It started the night Manny almost lost his eye.   We had a fantastic top 9 before that happened,  Look at all the injuries we had from March until the end of the play-offs.

I added a couple links for reference but they didn't mention everything

https://www.nhl.com/news/canucks-walking-wounded-aim-to-get-healthy/c-566315

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/735243-2011-stanley-cup-finals-injuries-too-much-to-overcome-for-the-canucks

Edited by Cali Canuck
More Info
  • Upvote 1

So glad to hear Jake is in. His Offence has been struggling but it hasn’t filtered into the rest of his game. 

Ive thought there have been signs in the last 3-4 games that he was getting closer to getting his offensive game back. By that I just mean creating more scoring opportunities and obviously scoring occasionally. 

Go Canucks Go!!

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's actually a great point and another reason not to tank.  They need this 1st round pick to hit, be a rock solid player, but not an instant superstar like Petey.

Just don't trade 1sts for short term windows. Always keep the rebuild going so to say. Keep those entry level contracts coming in. Leave prosepects in the A or University's.. For proper time frames. Trade one off every few years before UFA..get the extra 1st round pick. Teams die going for cup runs. Gotta build a team that could win every year. Thats a hockey team. We were cup favs 2010 I still have the magazine in the work shed.. Hard working talented team with consistent youth coming in. Thats a cooking a something up the right way! 

• Upvote 1

GMJB is on Sportsnet 650 shortly after 4pm today 

EDIT ***It's a replay :(   wish they would tell you this.

Edited by redhdlois

I think the key for Jake is to get physical. I've noticed when he gets in there and starts throwing his weight around it gets him fired up and he plays an all around better game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn't the Oilers, Sabres (and later the Leafs) do that exactly in hopes of getting McDavid and Matthews?  The players will always want to win, but the management can tank big time if they choose.  

Those teams were in playoff positions when they went into tank mode?

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Odd... his past boss who he learned from couldn't do the same.  As well never having Mcjesus cume so easy like the Oilers had. Jim having to use sheer Hockey IQ and paying attention to changes to the league towards a more fast up tempo game.... this just gets better and better every day. They said rebuild was going to be a hardship to endure but like the Virgin Mary I call BS.

day14pic1.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 40Dangles said:

Jake is in tonight! 

Goldy and Schaller scratched.

Green making media look like idiots - said “I never said Jake was scratched, it was you guys”

Love Greener and Jake!

bunch of manipulative media douchebags in this market.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Brock has very quietly gotten those points I was blown away that he had that many.. But I ask you this how many in the last 10? And how many are goals in the last 10? How many goals has bo scored the last month compared to December? I think thats what buddy meant. Everyones offense died there for a bit not just jakes

I get your point and noticed it too, but the glaringly obvious difference between Bo/Boes and JV is that Bo/Boes have still been generating a ton of quality chances. It just hasn't been going in as much (especially for Horvat) lately. where as with Jake he seems to have been coasting on autopilot for a while there.