The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Canucks make playoffs, do Benning and Green win some hardware?

messier's_elbow

If the Canucks do what seemed impossible at the beginning of the season and make the playoffs, do Benning or Green win GM or coach of the year? I think Green definitely has a good chance. Benning less so, but JB still could take it home for Drafting Pettersson without a lotto pick and making a few shrewd free agent signings. 

12 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

If the Canucks do what seemed impossible at the beginning of the season and make the playoffs, do Benning or Green win GM or coach of the year? I think Green definitely has a good chance. Benning less so, but JB still could take it home for Drafting Pettersson without a lotto pick and making a few shrewd free agent signings. 

I thing Green would have to be a Jack Adams front-runner, particularly after weathering that insane period where Sutter, Beagle, Tanev, Edler, EP, Baertschi, Boeser - were going down like mad and the team lost a dozen straight.   That's almost impossible to recover from in the NHL, with all the parity and depth of races....but nevertheless, they've been outstanding aside from that skid.

Benning would and should deserve to be in the discussion - however, the politics of it would probably sandbag him.   So many talking heads that went all-in mocking virtually every move he made, always wondering wtf he's doing .   For some people the rething still hasn't begun.   Others can't figure out why a team would sign a Beagle during a transition year like this....  I doubt there would be anywhere near enough accountability to own how wrong/willfully blind a lot of people have been about Benning.  It would likely translate into projecting more credit to Green, when imo it is clearly an integrated effort (and regardless, they're both largely responsible for each other's successes in many ways).

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I thing Green would have to be a Jack Adams front-runner, particularly after weathering that insane period where Sutter, Beagle, Tanev, Edler, EP, Baertschi, Boeser - were going down like mad and the team lost a dozen straight.   That's almost impossible to recover from in the NHL, with all the parity and depth of races....but nevertheless, they've been outstanding aside from that skid.

Benning would and should deserve to be in the discussion - however, the politics of it would probably sandbag him.   So many talking heads that went all-in mocking virtually every move he made, always wondering wtf he's doing .   For some people the rething still hasn't begun.   Others can't figure out why a team would sign a Beagle during a transition year like this....  I doubt there would be anywhere near enough accountability to own how wrong/willfully blind a lot of people have been about Benning.  It would likely translate into projecting more credit to Green, when imo it is clearly an integrated effort (and regardless, they're both largely responsible for each other's successes in many ways).

They've both done a fantastic job but won't win.  Trotz is a lock for coach of the year and Treliving , as much as I hate to say it, has a good case for GM of the year after fleecing Carolina.

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Trotz's name is already engraved on the coach of the year award.

It's kinda funny that LouLam (I'm honestly not a fan, but) goes to Long Island, has the Laffs poach Tavares to add to their other lottery pick....does them a favour taking the Martin contract off their hand and buying them some cap (which they notoriously misspend....) and still the Laffs trail the Islanders in the Eastern Conference.....

How would the Leafblowers spin that one?

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yeah while I think it's Trotz's trophy to lose, at the very least Green should in the final candidates mix for simply how the team handled all those injuries.  Would've been an easy excuse to just pack it in for the season but aside from the odd game or two (which even good teams will have bad games), they've played fairly well.  Can't just say "well he has EP to thank for that" because the team still never gave up while he was out of the lineup.

26 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Julien deserves some credit.

If the season ended today, even without a playoff spot. It’s him and Green fighting for the last spot, behind Cooper and Trotz.

I thought the same but couldn't bring myself to say it lol.   Clod's hard to like.

And beyond that, Bergevin is hard to believe in.

Not going to lie - I had very little confidence in Bergevin - and don't like Julien - was hoping for them to clean house.

But they've recovered remarkably well.

Reminds me of the Feaster times in Calgary where they seemed to do everything 'wrong' and yet came out the other side nowhere near in the dust of the lottery Champion Coilers.   I'm probably going to have to jump on the Habs bandwagon (always liked them in any event) if they manage to go further than the Leafs in the playoffs lol (even with Bergevin and Clod).   That would be an old school, original six gut-punch to Toronto is that were to happen....in the same year the Lames lead the Western Conference while the Coil sit in 11th.....

I say yes.  But ONLY if they do it without trading anything more than a Goldobin or Granlund.

Every win and point we see the team net that puts us deeper in playoff territory has me frightened that the management group/owners will decide to offload assets for a playoff run.

That time isn't this year, it's next February at the earliest

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Julien deserves some credit.

If the season ended today, even without a playoff spot. It’s him and Green fighting for the last spot, behind Cooper and Trotz.

Julien....:sick::sick:

Hope to hell the only thing that sweaty pig ever gets is ‘ toilet brush of year’... 

His comments from the SC in 11 still sticks in my throat... lying deceiving inbreed. 

Both Trotz and Green right now are front runners and for good reason.  Tavares bolted and despite this they win more games (better goaltending has helped a lot with this), the Sedins retire and Vanek goes (three of the top four scorers) which is arguably a bigger impact than losing Tavares and his 80ish points per year, and Green wins more (EP..EP...EP..EP...Markstrom).

Both teams were expected to be in the gutter, THN has us drafting third this year with no lottery expectations, and the NYI were expected to draft around where they did last year, maybe a little worse (say 10).   

Personally TG deserves a lot of props for managing a very different roster than last year...but also has some strikes against him too, both have to do with Petterson. The first one is our winning percentage with him in the lineup goes up significantly, that means he’s a big part of why we are winning more. The second one was how he as Ken Campbell recently wrote “towed the company line” in his remarks after his second injury (instead of criticizing the way stars are treated in this league post enforcer, he’s saying it’s expected and perfectly ok to do it, Green light on “little hooks and shoves etc”, not a fan of this). 

Now if this was a discussion on how EP is already played himself into Hart consideration there is plenty of “stats” and real time watch with your eyeballs reasons for that which I could get behind.

TG has been a good coach for us so far, the troops are playing above their pay grade even with EP in the lineup and aside from some periods where they don’t seem to be awake yet, for the most part play hard and well for him. 

If the NYI take a nose dive out of the playoff picture and we get in...then I think he could win some hardware, otherwise not this year at least.

Bennings do needs some recognition for his drafting, but I don't think making the playoff warrants GM of the year awards.  Usually these are reserved for top contending teams, IMO that is justified too, because GM arent not suppose to build playoff teams, they are suppose to build champions or at least contenders.  

On the other hand, the coach has to play with the hand he's dealt.  So, I definitely think Green should be at least a finalist if the Canucks makes the playoffs.   But at the moment, Trotz will be hard to dislodge.  

On Benning.  It’s time for some writers to consider posting retractions or at least re-evaluate the whole picture given the comments and criticism over his first four years (they are quieter now though, even giving some praise too).  

He came in to a complete mess, the majority of the old core save the Sedins and Edler (Tanev really wasn’t part of it, he’s part of the place holder inbetween core and this one more than anything) was gone, or on their way out, and the few parts he could trade weren’t the types to speed up a rebuild (first rounders).  And the decision was made to try and win as long as the Sedins were there, probably because they had no choice as even if they asked them to waive they knew ahead of time they wouldn’t so took the high road instead.  Smart and doesn’t paint them as anything but nice and respectable. 

So Vrbata and Miller were signed (the best forward and goalie available) immediately and then he got to work on speeding things up a bit with Vey, Bear and Granlund, which essentially cost us nothing or maybe best case we drafted one Bear instead, odds are a lesser player and a career AHLer.

His best work has been at the draft, four guys playing from his first draft which is almost unheard of, two Calder Candidates and one Calder winner (really at this point he doesn’t have to play another game and he will win it) back to back which is also very, very rare, a defenseman that could start later this year who’s supposedly the reincarnation of Phil Housley (same size, same pedigree) plus a plethora of other tantalizing prospects still in the development phase.  

EP was Hammarstroms find and the coaching staff bought in once they saw him play, and Benning agreed they’d go for him if he was still available, but it’s Benning who people think of when it goes to all the picks, and they should because he’s there at the table making the decisions and listening to his staffs advisements, AND takes the flack for any misses or busts too.  

Benning probably wont get close to even  sniffing a  GM award (yet), often those go to the Stanley Cup winner or a finalist, and they haven’t been handing them out long enough to really get a handle on a team that’s one that compares to us.  Buffalo has as much a reason to win (GM award) this year as us, another perennial bottom feeder that’s seen a jump in the standings because they also have some good pieces in play now, with Dahlin and a good signing in Skinner leading the way this year.  

If if we could add Stone this summer, I’d expect a similar jump in the standings for us next year...hope we do it.

I wonder if Dubas will get consideration...but if he does that’s collusion...sure he convinced Tavares to sign which deserves some props (but not a lot ) and signed WN ( and ruined the on ice chemistry) .... and said he wouldn’t ever ever ever trade WN (who’s likely on his way out but they’d have to retain a big pile of cap ha ha..which the need to sign Marner who’s the real heart of that many hearted club)  in other words he inherited his throne, hasn’t done much so if they win a few rounds and the back slapping starts ... he better NOT get a whiff or they DO collude.

Archived