The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 23, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

On 1/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, AllWeatherFan said:

The reality is we didn't deserve to win the last two either. Weve been fortunate to get 4 of the last 6 points. 

The boys will know they need to step it up coming back from the break if they want to stay in the playoff race. I'm expecting great hockey when they come back!

Lets go Nucks!!

On 1/23/2019 at 10:15 PM, King Heffy said:

Refs were pretty bad, but not as bad as our effort.  Pouliot was especially trash, but really not many guys showed up tonight other than Petey.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:20 PM, FijianCanuck said:

This would have been the result the past 2 games had our goalies not stood on their heads. Boys need a break. 

We all feel pretty bad about this game but felt pretty good about the last two games even though the quality of play by the Canucks was not all the different across the three games. The main difference was great goaltending in the last two games. The goaltending tonight was okay. On a good night Marky might have stopped one of the pucks that went in but obviously the problem tonight was not Marky.

However, despite the poor game, it was not all negative. In terms of the long-run rebuild there were some definite positive. But first, here is my view of the biggest negatives.

1. The Canucks have had several bad starts in a row, Tonight they tried to start with some jump and had the territorial advantage for the first few shifts. But I think an early "turning point" was when Aho got behind Pouliot about 2 minutes in and was in the clear from the blueline in. Marky made a great save but it was a bad play by Pouliot and after that Carolina took over the territorial advantage and the Canucks were lucky to get out of the first in a scoreless tie.

2. Things fell apart in the second period. As many people pointed out, Pouliot had a terrible game. He had actually been pretty good for the last few weeks and I would not give up on him after this one bad game. But no one thinks he is part of the long run plan. As others have suggested, I would not mind taking a look at Luke Schenn.

3. The Guddy-Pouliot pairing really struggled until Pouliot was benched. It reminded me of when the Guddy-Hutton pairing struggled at times before they were broken up. Tonight, Pouliot was the guy making the obvious mistakes but playing with Guddy puts pressure on his D-partner. For example, on the second Carolina goal, Guddy had a chance to clear the puck but did not. The puck went behind the net, Marky stopped it and passed it Pouliot who passed the puck to the Carolina defender at the point and the puck ended up in the net. The "mistake" on the play was due to Pouliot but Tanev or Stecher makes the original clearing attempt a lot more often that Guddy does. On another goal, Pouliot was unable to make check behind the net resulting in a pass between Guddy's feet to the Carolina player in front of the net who scored. It was a bad play by Pouliot. Guddy did not make a mistake. But a guy with a quicker stick or quicker feet like Stecher or Tanev would have had a better chance of stopping the pass through his feet.  After the game Travis Green emphasized that the Canucks had a hard time handling the quickness of Carolina. That is one of Guddy's weaknesses. Like a lot of big guys, he is not quick. Guddy is still valuable as a 3rd pairing guy because of things he does bring to the table, but he needs a partner who can offset his weaknesses. Pouliot was not that guy tonight.

4. Despite the "message" Green sent to JV, Virtanen had a poor game tonight. I noticed a couple of bad plays early and he just seemed a little off all night. He kind of looked like a guy looking forward to a week's holiday.

5. However, there were some good signs. First, EP40 continues to play well despite having some obvious problems with his leg. I hope he takes it easy over the break and I am bit worried about the all-star game. But he looks good and even looked pretty good on the PK late in the game.

6. Speaking of the PK, it looked good again tonight. Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Edler and Tanev continue to be great on the PK.

7. Stecher and Hutton were actually pretty good together again. I can see that pairing as part of the long run solution. Hutton had really nice "third assists" on both Canuck goals and Stecher made a really nice play on the first one.

8. I love the chemistry of EP, Boeser and Baertschi. They scored a highlight reel goal and looked dangerous and did not give up much defensively.

9. So, even though it was a bad game, I see the emerging young core continuing to make progress.

27 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It was terrible.  The only thing worse was the officiating.  I'm going to just pretend this one didn't happen.

Only good thing about it was Gino.  And that beautiful tic tac toe play.

yeah ill take the EP point as a win.

Svechnikov deserves to have a massive hit come his way next time we play Carolina, up 3 goals end of game and he goes for a blind side boarding hot on guddy...

i was shocked by The amount of dirty hits thrown by Carolina and how much they got away with 

54 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

This team has two defensemen in their top six that shouldn't be in the league and another one in their top that is a fringe NHLer.

This will happen sometimes.

give guddy a good partner and will be 10 x better.

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

We all feel pretty bad about this game but felt pretty good about the last two games even though the quality of play by the Canucks was not all the different across the three games. The main difference was great goaltending in the last two games. The goaltending tonight was okay. On a good night Marky might have stopped one of the pucks that went in but obviously the problem tonight was not Marky.

However, despite the poor game, it was not all negative. In terms of the long-run rebuild there were some definite positive. But first, here is my view of the biggest negatives.

1. The Canucks have had several bad starts in a row, Tonight they tried to start with some jump and had the territorial advantage for the first few shifts. But I think an early "turning point" was when Aho got behind Pouliot about 2 minutes in and was in the clear from the blueline in. Marky made a great save but it was a bad play by Pouliot and after that Carolina took over the territorial advantage and the Canucks were lucky to get out of the first in a scoreless tie.

2. Things fell apart in the second period. As many people pointed out, Pouliot had a terrible game. He had actually been pretty good for the last few weeks and I would not give up on him after this one bad game. But no one thinks he is part of the long run plan. As others have suggested, I would not mind taking a look at Luke Schenn.

3. The Guddy-Pouliot pairing really struggled until Pouliot was benched. It reminded me of when the Guddy-Hutton pairing struggled at times before they were broken up. Tonight, Pouliot was the guy making the obvious mistakes but playing with Guddy puts pressure on his D-partner. For example, on the second Carolina goal, Guddy had a chance to clear the puck but did not. The puck went behind the net, Marky stopped it and passed it Pouliot who passed the puck to the Carolina defender at the point and the puck ended up in the net. The "mistake" on the play was due to Pouliot but Tanev or Stecher makes the original clearing attempt a lot more often that Guddy does. On another goal, Pouliot got the puck behind the net, made a blind pass in front of the net between Guddy's feet that went to the Carolina player in front of the net who scored. It was a terrible play by Pouliot and Guddy did not make a mistake. But a guy with a quicker stick or quicker feet like Stecher or Tanev would have had a better chance of stopping Pouliot's pass. After the game Travis Green emphasized that the Canucks had a hard time handling the quickness of Carolina. That is one of Guddy's weaknesses. Like a lot of big guys, he is not quick. Guddy is still valuable as a 3rd pairing guy because of things he does bring to the table, but he needs a partner who can offset his weaknesses. Pouliot was not that guy tonight.

4. Despite the "message" Green sent to JV, Virtanen had a poor game tonight. I noticed a couple of bad plays early and he just seemed a little off all night. He kind of looked like a guy looking forward to a week's holiday.

5. However, there were some good signs. First, EP40 continues to play well despite having some obvious problems with his leg. I hope he takes it easy over the break and I am bit worried about the all-star game. But he looks good and even looked pretty good on the PK late in the game.

6. Speaking of the PP, it looked good again tonight. Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Edler and Tanev continue to be great on the PK.

7. Stecher and Hutton were actually pretty good together again. I can see that pairing as part of the long run solution. Hutton had really nice "third assists" on both Canuck goals and Stecher made a really nice play on the first one.

8. I love the chemistry of EP, Boeser and Baertschi. They scored a highlight reel goal and looked dangerous and did not give up much defensively.

9. So, even though it was a bad game, I see the emerging young core continuing to make progress.

Pretty much sums it up James, but while Pouliot maybe stood out in a negative way, I don’t think any of the D’s except maybe Stecher covered themselves in glory. At least 2-3 times in 3rd period Hutton played a blind pass into a free Cane in his own zone, and both Edler and Tanev did it too during the game. 

Nevertheless its onwards and upwards... part of learning. 

This season has been gravy so far compared to what I expected, and in particular after the 12 games losing run...

EP, Brock and Bo developing on a positive trajectory is all that really matters this season. 

Glad Travis Green isn’t going overboard one way or another, cause it was always going to be a bumpy ride this season and probably the next. 

And in general the games this season have been far more fun to watch than the last few years. (And I loved the Sedins).

With Green's neck stuck out and with his own future with the nux on the line,

Pouliot needed to have the best game of his career last night.. Not the other way around..

I could say the same for Virtanen. But given his opportunities and PK-filled game... I would give him a pass for this one.

That game was embarrassing and it sucked to have that Svech kid running around like that. 

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

3. The Guddy-Pouliot pairing really struggled until Pouliot was benched. It reminded me of when the Guddy-Hutton pairing struggled at times before they were broken up. Tonight, Pouliot was the guy making the obvious mistakes but playing with Guddy puts pressure on his D-partner. For example, on the second Carolina goal, Guddy had a chance to clear the puck but did not. The puck went behind the net, Marky stopped it and passed it Pouliot who passed the puck to the Carolina defender at the point and the puck ended up in the net. The "mistake" on the play was due to Pouliot but Tanev or Stecher makes the original clearing attempt a lot more often that Guddy does. On another goal, Pouliot got the puck behind the net, made a blind pass in front of the net between Guddy's feet that went to the Carolina player in front of the net who scored. It was a terrible play by Pouliot and Guddy did not make a mistake. But a guy with a quicker stick or quicker feet like Stecher or Tanev would have had a better chance of stopping Pouliot's pass. After the game Travis Green emphasized that the Canucks had a hard time handling the quickness of Carolina. That is one of Guddy's weaknesses. Like a lot of big guys, he is not quick. Guddy is still valuable as a 3rd pairing guy because of things he does bring to the table, but he needs a partner who can offset his weaknesses. Pouliot was not that guy tonight.

6. Speaking of the PK, it looked good again tonight. Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Edler and Tanev continue to be great on the PK.

Always a solid summation, James. 

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Double post. 

Let's not kid ourselves. This result has been coming for the last 3-4 games. 

We can't find a team mate with a pass.

Now that is pretty terminal for a hockey team. Our transitions are sloppy and unstructured even when EP is on the ice.

We panic and dump or ice the puck at the first sign of pressure from the opposition.

We have ridden on Markstrom's coat tails for weeks now. Even when we have won by big margins lately most of us were able to admit the score did not reflect the play.

Pouliot was a car crash but even I had to admit more recently he has played well. His trouble is when he is bad he really hurts us.

Bo looks tired and worn out - I'm not really surprised.

Boeser is our best forward recently and seems to be getting his fitness back.

EP is being relied on too much for the creative input and I have said for a while we underestimate Goldy for the creativity he brings. There is not enough creativity o/a in the team imo.

Baertschi is still not back to his best when he is he does supply some of our creativity.

Jake was poor, yet again and has not looked the player he was before Christmas. I worry for him because when he is "on it" he looks good

There is no sparkle from Sutter, Loui, Granlund despite how hard they work. I wonder if it is time to "cut bait"

Now I know I am going to upset many on here but I really don't like what Roussel brings to the team - at all. I would rather trade him and give a prospect who is a bit more level headed and creative his spot. There is just not enough upside for me. He is no Burrows OR Dorsett that's for sure. He flies about takes stupid penalties and gives little back imo.

All this seems a bit doom and gloom but actually I think it is good to get this reality check. Imo we are not, as some have intimated, a "playoff team" We are still 3 or 4 pieces away from that yet. We need more creativity to take the burden off EP and while I appreciate QH is on his way I think we need this creativity at forward.

So while I have never been on the TANK waggon I don't think a low finishing spot will harm us, in fact I think it will benefit us in the long run.

I agree with those on here who have advocated building up our picks for this draft and I am of the opinion the first 10-12 spots are as good as I can remember for a while. It would be nice if we could snag a couple of them.

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Who does work well with Sutter?

I think you should have put that the other way round. 

Much as I like Jake he is a bit like Booth (when Jake is on his game that is) He is not really someone who interacts a lot with his line mates - although I have seen him do it occasionally. Sutter is just not back yet from his injury imo.

When he is back to his norm he plays well with others.

Archived