The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Austin Watson Suspended Indefinitely

HerrDrFunk

24 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hopefully he can get his addictions under control. Addictions can destroy lives. All the best to him.

To stay in the league has Watson changed his role into a bit of a goon/fighter.  Maybe that doesn't fit his nature (not that it does any players) and he started getting the courage to play how he must (to stay in the league) from a bottle?  Didn't a lot of the guys who play that role have trouble with stuff like drinking too much?  Sounds to me like this guy will be done.  A younger guy, who can play that role, will take his place.  Same sad story we hear all too often with this type of player.  

Would Gaunce be in the NHL, and living the life, if he got courage to play the nasty role from a foreign substance?  

This hits close to home. I live with an alcoholic (family member who can’t be independent). The destructive power of alcoholism is so much worse than people know. Disfunction isn’t a strong enough word to describe their everyday life. 

I genuinely wish him the best.

Alcohol is the most destructive drug.

Hang a piece of meat just for 5 minutes in a shot glass of vodka if you want to see what it does to your body.

You are protein.  Everything.  All of the little structures on the surface of cells that regulate every single process of your body, and life, are proteins.  Alcohol deforms and destroys these proteins.  Alcohol can dissolve your genes when they are popped out in a stem loop structure when new proteins, to replace to ones you just dissolved, are being created by ribosomes!

Want to know why alcohol makes you feel the way it does?  Alcohol deforms the protein channels used to regulate an ion differential across your neuron membranes.  Think about that.  You are literally effing with your electrical system of your body.  Why would you do this?  Especially regularly.

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

Hang a piece of meat just for 5 minutes in a shot glass of vodka if you want to see what it does to your body.

You are protein.  Everything.  All of the little structures on the surface of cells that regulate every single process of your body, and life, are proteins.  Alcohol deforms and destroys these proteins.  Alcohol can dissolve your genes when they are popped out in a stem loop structure when new proteins, to replace to ones you just dissolved, are being created by ribosomes!

Want to know why alcohol makes you feel the way it does?  Alcohol deforms the protein channels used to regulate an ion differential across your neuron membranes.  Think about that.  You are literally effing with your electrical system of your body.  Why would you do this?  Especially regularly.

So what are saying?  Alcohol is bad now?  What about Scotch?

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Meanwhile, abuse of drugs is a rampant issue, particularly prescription drugs. There doesn't seem to be a recovery system in place, but instead, we'll go after the party drugs.

I'm really starting to see that the government is just doing what it's doing to make money off the people it's trying to enforce.

And I don't even do drugs. I just feel like if the government was trying to help the people, they'd make it easier for people who are on drugs to rehab and try to make them a better person. Yes, it is expensive to do and I have no solution on that for the time being. But it helps if we throw ideas out collectively and give things a legitimate test.

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To stay in the league has Watson changed his role into a bit of a goon/fighter.  Maybe that doesn't fit his nature (not that it does any players) and he started getting the courage to play how he must (to stay in the league) from a bottle?  Didn't a lot of the guys who play that role have trouble with stuff like drinking too much?  Sounds to me like this guy will be done.  A younger guy, who can play that role, will take his place.  Same sad story we hear all too often with this type of player.  

Would Gaunce be in the NHL, and living the life, if he got courage to play the nasty role from a foreign substance?  

does this mean you brought your own scotch from Melmac?:P

1 hour ago, xereau said:

94f.png

Many good men have suffered the alcohol demon and some can’t beat it. 

I did. I wasn’t addicted though. 

Whatever his issues are, I hope he sorts them out soon.

The pressures these guys are under can force them to burst. 

Its a mental health issue, most every time.

I’m glad the NHL has done great work in this area.

We need to look after each other better, like we wish we all had for the Rick Rypiens of our personal lives. 

Rip to all those ex NHLers who couldn’t pull out of the tailspin in time and to all those we’ve lost from mental health and substance abuse issues, my brother included.  

22 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

lol..."now"?. When has it ever been "good"?

“Red wine, in moderation, has long been thought of as heart healthy. The alcohol and certain substances in red wine called antioxidants may help prevent coronary artery disease, the condition that leads to heart attacks.”

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/red-wine/art-20048281

The belief that some alcohol after dinner was good for a person is old, isn’t it?  

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

He posted a message on instagram just 3 weeks ago with the hashtag #mentalillness to explain that he has been suffering from anxiety, depression and alcoholism since he was 18.  

21 hours ago, xereau said:

As someone who bartended and worked at liquor stores in East Van, it’s really eye-opening the level of damage alcohol does to people. It can absolutely destroy lives. Most people would be shocked to see just how many street people aren’t methheads or heroin addicts but severe alcohol abusers. It makes you wonder about society’s picture of booze when it’s consistently portrayed as this magical party elixir that makes life worth living.

That said I think the most destructive drug has to be Canucks hockey. All it does is hurt me but I just can’t quit.

20 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Kind of harsh to call it a suspension. He's unable to play because of his current addictions and is getting help. It's more similar to an injury than a suspension

I wonder if they term it a suspension because he's at Stage 2.  That implies he went through Stage 1 already and if it's similar to the program we have at my employer, if one violates the expectations after the first treatment, they then would be subject to discipline - suspension.  

Archived