Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Penguins trade Derick Brassard, Riley Sheahan, 2nd-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (MIN) to Panthers for Nick Bjugstad, Jared McCann

Brassard and Sheahan are both expiring = UFAs - so they're essentially throw-ins and placeholders to clear cap for Bjugstad's contract.

It's possible there was some previous discussion with these players, in which case the return doesn't look quite as bad for Florida, but at face value it's not looking great for them.

I like the Bjugstad aspect for Pittsburgh - picking up a giant center like Bjugstad with good underlying numbers and the lowest 5 on 5 on-ice goals against (1.9) on the Panthers (47.9% ozone starts, 51.9% corsi) - also a good faceoff guy - could be a nice piece to enhance their playoff hopes.

Hard to see how the Panthers value Brassard and Sheahan - or whether they intend to retain/re-sign them, but otherwise the value here is not great for the Panthers.

They've essentially dumped Bjugstad (?) at the value of a 2nd round pick otherwise - and the remaining value for moving McCann is pretty anemic at best (a pair of 4ths?).

So - an interesting trade - but it's hard to find the value that Florida got for McCann in this deal - it looks an awful lot like they've decided to move on from him and may have taken a signficant loss in the process (unless they can capitalize on longshot picks).

• Upvote 1

Florida dumping salary and gaining picks. Bjugstad has a back loaded contract.

He's also not having a very good year. Maybe he'll turn it around in Pit. McCann is what he is. 

FLD clearing salary to go after Panarin in summer. He likely goes Florida or New York. 

Florida will flip the players they got and get more picks. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Brassard and Sheahan are both expiring = UFAs - so they're essentially throw-ins and placeholders to clear cap for Bjugstad's contract.

It's possible there was some previous discussion with these players, in which case the return doesn't look quite as bad for Florida, but at face value it's not looking great for them.

I like the Bjugstad aspect for Pittsburgh - picking up a giant center like Bjugstad with good underlying numbers and the lowest 5 on 5 on-ice goals against (1.9) on the Panthers (47.9% ozone starts, 51.9% corsi) - also a good faceoff guy - could be a nice piece to enhance their playoff hopes.

Hard to see how the Panthers value Brassard and Sheahan - or whether they intend to retain/re-sign them, but otherwise the value here is not great for the Panthers.

They've essentially dumped Bjugstad (?) at the value of a 2nd round pick otherwise - and the remaining value for moving McCann is pretty anemic at best (a pair of 4ths?).

So - an interesting trade - but it's hard to find the value that Florida got for McCann in this deal - it looks an awful lot like they've decided to move on from him and may have taken a signficant loss in the process (unless they can capitalize on longshot picks).

They likely flip Brassard and use the saved salary to pursue Bobrovsky and Panarin, high risk deal either way. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

After an impressive Cup contention year and playoffs, ..then abruptly deciding to embrace analytics, changing personnel and firing  a fantastic Coach in Gallant (who went on to a cup final in Vegas).

The Panthers are on the floor in a figure 4 toe hold tapping out for the draft table..

Analytics has quickly thrown this team to the ground, ..Now we get to see how Analytics works from the draft floor, perhaps they’re set to become Oilers Version 3.0. ;) 

Tom Rowe was only GM for 11 months

He's the one who went analytics crazy. 

After 1 season Dale Tallon took over as GM again. He's a great GM.  He built the Black Hawks before the Bowman Coup.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Ahren14 said:

McCann is a centre, so he likely will see very little time if any with those two

I'll be surprised if McCann remains a center.

He's not a great faceoff guy at 41.4% thus far, although he's improved this year to 45.6%

His underlying numbers are also not flattering.

51.7% ozone starts

48.9% corsi

2.5 on ice goals for per 60 (5 on 5), 3.5 goals against (-1.0 per 60).

He's also on 185lbs....

Not bad, but personally I think he'd make a better scoring winger with a good playmaker - and could complement them well as a guy who has developed as a center and a secondary faceoff guy.

I like the move for Pittsburgh on both counts - to get Bjugstad primarily - but also to get a guy like McCann who could be a good versatile skilled guy to try with their load of talent at the center position.

With Guentzel....but then Rust and Pearson - there may be an opening for McCann to move up in that lineup to a middle six LW - in which case he could be nicely productive with the right linemates.

Good low cost risk for Pittsburgh imo - not a very good return for McCann - not one I'd probably accept personally - although we don't see much of him out west.  I guess if Florida re-signs Sheahan and revives his game it may not be such a loss.....  But they've given up the younger assets here (picks aside, which don't appear to compensate Florida adequately).

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

This is a cap dump for Florida, Brassard + Sheahan are UFA's after this year. 

Could see them getting assets at the deadline for them.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Analytics my man.

The saddest thing is seeing what Tallon had built or was building, torn to pieces in barely a season after he was "moved from his position"

All star coach, great line up decent depth all gone in like 8 short months

Analytics baby

No analytics in this trade. 

Tallon is the GM again. Has been since that one season Tom Rowe went crazy and ruined the team. 

Tallon is dumping salary getting lots of picks (more to come when he flips Brassard and Sheahan at the TDL)

And making room for Panarin on July 1st.

Edited by WHL rocks

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They likely flip Brassard and use the saved salary to pursue Bobrovsky and Panarin, high risk deal either way. 

True - that could be the gameplan - not sure how great Brassard's value as a rental will be - 15 pts, 47.5% faceoff guy - but has played a bottom six C role....

Maybe they can get a 2nd/3rd for him.....and add to the longshot picks they've gotten in this deal....remembering that Pitt 2nd they got here is likely to be in the 52-62 range....

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Sounds like the Panthers want to go all in this summer:

Bobrovski and Panarin per LeBrun.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Analytics my man.

The saddest thing is seeing what Tallon had built or was building, torn to pieces in barely a season after he was "moved from his position"

All star coach, great line up decent depth all gone in like 8 short months

Analytics baby

And back into the rubble to clean up that mess/aftermath.

Gotta hand it to him though - he is fearless.

I don't particularly like this deal for Florida, but Tallon always seems to be dealing from a position of market weakness and need to fluctuate with revenues, etc - so he takes losses at times, but is pretty adept at recovering from them.

• Hydration 1

29 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

There's a reason that we held on to virtanen and there's a reason mccann's been traded twice. There's more to all of this than numbers on a screen man.

And how many games have you watched McCann play this year. Let me guess? Two?

both players have shown potential. Both players are inconsistent. Both players are 22 years olds still developing finding their game.  Yet one player is said to be topped out as a 3rd liner....while the other player is on the verge to become the next cam Neely. Haha. Just pointing the hilarious hypocrisy.

McCann is a fine young player. 45.6% in faceoffs. 18 points in 46 games while only playing 3rd line minutes and limited pp ice and he’s only 22 years old in what his 3 full year. He’s far from a finished prospect. The reason teams have moved him has nothing to do with giving up on him. It’s the return they got back. jB stated that it was a really hard move to trade him but you have to give something to get. McCann ran into a elite rated rookie in borgstrom stealing his spot. Im curious to see how pits will use him and what opportunity he will get, the kid still has a great shot and good vision. 

17 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

There you go. Exactly what i said earlier in this thread. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Totally.

Developing well?  In to what?  gagner?

You're aware Gudbranson has been our only healty D man essentially all year right.  When we were looking at a top 10 pick.

McCaan developed or was developing in to Bonino 2.0 if he was lucky, Gagner at best 

You're not just out to lunch, you're too blind to see the menu

He can't.  Him and Fifth Line are out right now with the rest of the HF board clinic licking windows between chants of Benning is the worst

if I see a deal that I think sucks I will say it sucks, vice versa for good deals. I'm not of this weird philosophy that you have to choose sides and either defend everything or crap on everything.  I stand by my comments on this trade, and how I feel about McCann.   Do you still feel the same about the trade orrrrr no?   Well let's take a look

On 5/25/2016 at 6:07 PM, The 5th Line said:

McCann was overrated around here.  I like this trade, finally a hardnosed top 4 defenceman

On 5/25/2016 at 6:42 PM, Warhippy said:

Because Lucas Johansen obviously doesn't have a higher ceiling than Gudbranson

Developing players is obviously not a huge must have for this team.

You know, why even bother drafting and developing right?  I mean this club didn't just spend tens of millions over the last 5 years buying a team, building a development program for nothing.  We didn't hire what is or was supposed to be the pinnacle of scouting excellence as GM to build this club from the ground up

Nope, instead we need Floridas B defensive player, their potential top 4 guy.

Sorry.  I can see why and where this move takes this club, and it MIGHT pan out in the long run, but seriously, our 2nd this year with the players slated to be within 8 spots of 33rd is absolutely laughable.  Because out of the 8 slated in that area easily 4 of them have a higher potential ceiling than Gudbranson

Decent move for making a moves sake, but wow...short sighted, so VERY short sighted....

Captain Hindsight everybody

I get it, you are mad, you have been watching hockey your whole life and just a few months ago I taught you that hockey IQ means more than just simply, "passing and shooting" :picard:    The embarrassment was just too much for you and you are still trying to get back at me for it lol. Keep it comin

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I guess from Tallon's perspective he may not feel he's losing much.

Barkov and Trocheck are clearly their top 6 C.   They have young C's Borgstrom and Malgin - who they may feel are better than McCann.

They also have Heponiemi tearing it up everywhere he goes.

So they seem to have deemed Bjugstad and McCann expendible.

It's hard to like the returns on either of them, but the market dictate those, not the fantasies of armchair GMs that think McCann is a surefire top 6 (and a lot of that is drama from pseudo-analyticz types that sandbag Gudbranson endlessly).

One thing seems pretty clear here - the return on McCann in this deal looks like a step backwards for Florida.

Whether or not he goes on to become the next Michael Grabner, the Canucks extracted more value out of him that Florida got back in this deal (by a seemingly fair margin).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

can't see it, Bob's never been much of a playoff goalie. 

True... I just don’t think Pittsburgh is done rebuilding their bottom six

42 minutes ago, mll said:

Bobrovski and Panarin per LeBrun.

So what happens to Loui? Backup in Florida or retire?

How does it impact Van?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1