Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Penguins trade Derick Brassard, Riley Sheahan, 2nd-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (MIN) to Panthers for Nick Bjugstad, Jared McCann

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning had similar words after trading McCann.  Yet, in both cases McCann was traded.  I think these are two good GM’s Who don’t say bad things about players, after they trade them.  (Remember Gillis’ comments about Hodgeson after the trade?). 

Something is not right with McCann.  Pittsburgh will be his last chance to be an NHL player.  

Playing with Crosby will turn ordinary players into players like Sheahan. They get McCann who is going to be looking up to the best player of the last 14 years and is being shipped off a crappy team. You have passion for the Canucks that gets in the way of logic at times. I respect it, because I'm a homer myself, but Pittsburgh get a guy who 5 years younger and is still an RFA.

Bjugstad may not play as physical as his stature would indicate, but he has skill as well as being huge. The NHL is becoming more and more skilled and Florida just traded their young skill for a handful of lottery tickets.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Playing with Crosby will turn ordinary players into players like Sheahan. They get McCann who is going to be looking up to the best player of the last 14 years and is being shipped off a crappy team. You have passion for the Canucks that gets in the way of logic at times. I respect it, because I'm a homer myself, but Pittsburgh get a guy who 5 years younger and is still an RFA.

Bjugstad may not play as physical as his stature would indicate, but he has skill as well as being huge. The NHL is becoming more and more skilled and Florida just traded their young skill for a handful of lottery tickets.

No. Florida gained a handful of lottery tickets plus cleared up cap space to sign big name UFA in summer. 

This gives them chance to sign Panarin. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Derp.

spare the plus/minus pseudolyticz apollo. 

If you're going to play that game, look realistically at McCann's outcomes - which aren't flattering (and he has a -9 himself in primarily ozone starts).

I'll take the Gud deal anyday over and over again.

Your viewpoint is further problematized by the anemic return McCann just commanded in this deal.  From where I stand, it's Bjugstad and McCann for a 2nd and a pair of 4ths....with a couple expiring contracts taken back by Florida.....(whose GM is openly expressing his intend to clear that cap in the summer). 

You can slice that up however you want, but a couple 4ths for McCann, or even a 2nd and a 4th if you assume Bjugstad has next to no value = a crap return relative to the valuation of McCann at the time of the Gud deal.  

You seem to be fundamentally whiffing on the fact the McCann has commanded a relatively feeble return here.

McCann on his current contract brings more value than Bjugstad IMO... 1.25 AAV for 2 more years, then RFA... I think Pittsburgh got a good player. 

I don't really need +- to tell if I think Guddy is worth his 4 million. I don't like him any less though... especially after he showed up and spanked Haley and challenged Matheson. I think he's a solid guy to have on our team. I don't see why it's unreasonable that I say that JB overpaid in that deal. 

I also think Eriksson is good but not worth his 6 million... doesn't mean I hate him though. I really like both Guddy and Loui 

I think at the time McCann for Guddy straight up would have been fair. Yet we gave up the 33rd overall pick... which Florida looks like they missed on but who knows, if JB had the pick, he might have snagged Debrincat or Girard? Jim is a drafting god, so I'd %100 have faith in him making a better pick than Florida did. 

2016-May-25 Traded from Florida Panthers with round 5 pick in the 2016 draft (Cole Candella) to Vancouver Canucks for Jared McCann, round 2 pick in the 2016 draft (Rasmus Asplund) and round 4 pick in the 2016 draft (Jonathan Ang)

I stand by my criticism of the trade... Jim overpaid. It's easy to see it in hindsight though. I support JB no less because of it. Our team is in great hands with him at the helm. I look forward to him drafting for us for the next decade and hopefully bringing us multiple cups. 

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

But then you have to ask yourself why did Vancouver pick McCann over Pastrnak?

Most of the rankings out there had McCann ahead of Pastrnak. If I recall, most people here (including myself) were very happy and excited when the Canucks drafted McCann at that spot. It was later reported that a year later, Jim Benning light the European scouts on fire for missing out on Pastrnak. The reward was that after that, these same European scouts got us Elias Pettersson in the 2017 draft. More than 20 GMs passed on Pastrnak that year, and I think most regret not taking him. I like how every Flyers fans today is complaining they drafted Patrick ahead of EP, yet, I bet 90% of the Flyers fan who complains today were excited when they jumped up to #2 after the draft lottery and gets Nolan Patrick added to their pool.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

No. Florida gained a handful of lottery tickets plus cleared up cap space to sign big name UFA in summer. 

This gives them chance to sign Panarin. 

Forgot about bread man. Good call, I've heard he wants Miami. I just wouldn't give up on those young guys, I'd build around them. I was happy to hear the Benning interview, where he said he wasn't going to give up on Goldobin. I'm all about the Winnipeg model. Draft and develop. I predict 2-4 years until the Canucks are going to compete for the cup.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

But then you have to ask yourself why did Vancouver pick McCann over Pastrnak?

Why did Pitts draft Staal over Toews...

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Watching the FLA- NSH game right now. Dale Tallon came on to interview at the first intermission. And he seemed pissed. He didn't say which player he was speaking of, maybe it was both. He basically said he wants players who will show up for 82 games a season and not just 30. Said he wants players that have the desire to win and won't tolerate mediocrity on his team. He also exclaimed he will be very aggressive this offseason in  the FA market.

Edited by A.V.'s slurp

16 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Why did Pitts draft Staal over Toews...

Why did Van draft OJ over Tkachuk?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Very punny!  :frantic:

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Then they also have $21 million in cap space next season. Lots of high profile ufa’s this summer (Karlsson, Panarin, Duchene, bobrovsky, and of course, MDZ ;))

That’s a lot of cap space, but who would sign with Florida of all teams? Nobody probably even knows the Panthers exist. The Yotes are the only other team who could challenge them for stadium emptiness. 

2 hours ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

Watching the FLA- NSH game right now. Dale Tallon came on to interview at the first intermission. And he seemed pissed. He didn't say which player he was speaking of, maybe it was both. He basically said he wants players who will show up for 82 games a season and not just 30. Said he wants players that have the desire to win and won't tolerate mediocrity on his team. He also exclaimed he will be very aggressive this offseason in  the FA market.

If that appearance was post trade, it's a pretty clear indictment on Mcann and Bjustad.

3 hours ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

58 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

If that appearance was post trade, it's a pretty clear indictment on Mcann and Bjustad.

Didn't hear Tallon's interview but there's been criticism about the overall lack of compete of the team for some time.  It led to Boughner benching some of his top players recently.

Edited by mll

didn’t see that one coming

Edited by Me_

4 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

That’s a lot of cap space, but who would sign with Florida of all teams? Nobody probably even knows the Panthers exist. The Yotes are the only other team who could challenge them for stadium emptiness. 

Panarin. Book it.

• Upvote 1

People cry when Sutter is hurt but they beg him gone when he’s healthy. Smh.

If our bottom 2C’s are Sutter and Beagle, we will win a cup. 

People are SERIOUSLY undervaluing 3rd and 4th line players, thinking first or second year Pros can come in and fill that role. Negative. Nope. Not happening. 

Beagle and Roussell. They are SOLID bottom line players. 

Maybe 99% of CDC is mad Gaud is being developed in the A? He is a hobey baker winner, we are not trading Sutter so God can play 3rd line checking, sorry. I recognize that, management recognises that. Difference is, I say it but they won’t. 

Edited by Johnny Torts

5 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

No State tax, for one.

Second, lifestyle. Panarin himself said he would like to be in a big city, by the water. There is even evidence that he purchased a $700K condo somewhere in Florida last April.

Third, he is friends with Dadynov. The two used to play together in the KHL.

And lastly, they have a lot of fantastic young talent on the Panthers, with some great prospects knocking on the door (Borgstrom, Tippett, Gildon, Denisenko, Heponiemi). It's not inconceivable that they could be a contender in the near future, especially if they add Panarin and improve their goaltending.

As for the fans, they were really engaged when the team was successful. And their former Russian star was well loved (Bure). The hype of adding a new one and then winning some games could rejuvenate the market. It's hard to blame the fans when they've only made the playoffs twice in the last 18 years, and both times were 1st round defeats.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1