Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Penguins trade Derick Brassard, Riley Sheahan, 2nd-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (MIN) to Panthers for Nick Bjugstad, Jared McCann

On 2/1/2019 at 5:58 PM, mll said:

Rutherford thinks McCann still has a lot of upside. 

George Richards in the Athletic (paywall):

https://theathletic.com/796329/2019/02/01/jim-rutherford-gives-details-explanation-of-blockbuster-deal-with-panthers/

Rutherford was gushing about him following the deal. Consider his scouting report on McCann.

“This is a shutdown player,” Rutherford said. “You put him on a third line, in that kind of role, he can shut down other players. That’s what he does best. But he can score, too. He can really skate. He’s such a good puck-pressure guy. And the thing about him is, he’s so young. There’s a ton of upside there, in our opinion. We’ve liked him for a long time.”

Well, Benning and Tallon say otherwise.  Who's right?  I guess we won't really know until a few years.

And to be honest, I'd bet a 100$ that Rutherford hasn't particularly watched McCann played since the junior.  Pretty sure those comments were how his pro scouts sold it to him.  Just my opinion.

11 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Nobody is saying Jake is a superstar in the making,

Lol... oh this must be your first day in CDC....Welcome

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Lol... oh this must be your first day in CDC....Welcome

Thanks, but I've been here a while. I just usually decide to ignore trolls like you.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Thanks, but I've been here a while. I just usually decide to ignore trolls like you.

Ah I’m a troll for pointing out the sad reality that a large group of fans claim that jakes A lock to becoming Bert 2.0 or the next neely. 

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Well, Benning and Tallon say otherwise.  Who's right?  I guess we won't really know until a few years.

Funny since both tallon and benning have came out and said the believe Jared still has more to offer. The only one who disagrees with all three of them is you. The guy who’s claiming a 22 year old has reached his peak.   

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ah I’m a troll for pointing out the sad reality that a large group of fans claim that jakes A lock to becoming Bert 2.0 or the next neely. 

Funny since both tallon and benning have came out and said the believe Jared still has more to offer. The only one who disagrees with all three of them is you. The guy who’s claiming a 22 year old has reached his peak.   

No your a troll because on one hand you laugh at CDC for their love for Jake and on the other hand you use it as an argument to counteract mine.  I never talked about Jake, all I did was state the fact about a kid who, as a 19 years old had high praise, had promising 1st year, had a general consensus that he was a really good pick in the late 1st round, but is now 22 years old, on his 3rd team, with career high of 9 goals and 28 pts.  Tell me if any of my facts are wrong?   So, base on his learning curve, yeah, I'm pretty comfortable stating he has peaked or is pretty close to his ceiling.  Now, I'd like to hear your arguments about how McCann has top 3/6 written all over him...other than quoting CDC of course. 

GMs are not jerks (well most of them), they are not going to trade a player and bash on him.  I'll give you Benning because he was still young and he was trying to fill a need with Guddy, so I can believe him when he said that.  But Tallon?  Clearly he thinks that a 2nd rounder and 2 x 4th have more to offer than McCann, otherwise he would have kept him.

27 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

No your a troll because on one hand you laugh at CDC for their love for Jake and on the other hand you use it as an argument to counteract mine.  I never talked about Jake, all I did was state the fact about a kid who, as a 19 years old had high praise, had promising 1st year, had a general consensus that he was a really good pick in the late 1st round, but is now 22 years old, on his 3rd team, with career high of 9 goals and 28 pts.  Tell me if any of my facts are wrong?   So, base on his learning curve, yeah, I'm pretty comfortable stating he has peaked or is pretty close to his ceiling.  Now, I'd like to hear your arguments about how McCann has top 3/6 written all over him...other than quoting CDC of course. 

I never claimed he was a lock. I claimed that he’s 22 and has shown lots so signs and glimpses of being a top 6 player so it’s stupid to claim that he’s peaked

and has no chance of improving while making that sole judgement off two shorten season stats. The Jake statement is a perfect counteract as he’s in the exact same situation stats wise.  

Baertschi at 22 just got traded to canucks with a career high of 3 goals and 11 points. 3 years later he’s a top 6 winger.  Grabner was on his third team at 23 and still become a top six player. 

So trying to use your “facts” as undeniable evidence is rather pointless. 

GMs are not jerks (well most of them), they are not going to trade a player and bash on him.  I'll give you Benning because he was still young and he was trying to fill a need with Guddy, so I can believe him when he said that.  But Tallon?  Clearly he thinks that a 2nd rounder and 2 x 4th have more to offer than McCann, otherwise he would have kept him.

GMs bash players all the time. Chyka did exactly that when he moved strome. Tallon went out of his way to explain why he moved McCann. Also Trading a player doesn’t automatically mean the GM is “giving up” on a kid. If you looked at the panthers depth chart. They are loaded with similar players with higher ceilings. A player like borgstrom looks NHL ready but due to the numbers game hasn’t been able to stay in the lineup. Moving McCann opens up that roster spot for him to stay with the club. Not much different than what canucks will do with hutton if Juolevi and Hughes looks ready next season.  Doesn’t mean we gave up on Hutton. Just that he was about to get passed on depth by higher ranked prospects. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I never claimed he was a lock. I claimed that he’s 22 and has shown lots so signs and glimpses of being a top 6 player so it’s stupid to claim that he’s peaked

and has no chance of improving while making that sole judgement off two shorten season stats. The Jake statement is a perfect counteract as he’s in the exact same situation stats wise.  

Baertschi at 22 just got traded to canucks with a career high of 3 goals and 11 points. 3 years later he’s a top 6 winger.  Grabner was on his third team at 23 and still become a top six player. 

So trying to use your “facts” as undeniable evidence is rather pointless. 

GMs bash players all the time. Chyka did exactly that when he moved strome. Tallon went out of his way to explain why he moved McCann. Also Trading a player doesn’t automatically mean the GM is “giving up” on a kid. If you looked at the panthers depth chart. They are loaded with similar players with higher ceilings. A player like borgstrom looks NHL ready but due to the numbers game hasn’t been able to stay in the lineup. Moving McCann opens up that roster spot for him to stay with the club. Not much different than what canucks will do with hutton if Juolevi and Hughes looks ready next season.  Doesn’t mean we gave up on Hutton. Just that he was about to get passed on depth by higher ranked prospects. 

So let me make sure I understand correctly...on one hand, your arguing that my bashing of McCann is unwarranted and that we should treat Jake the same because he's the same age/stats, but that i'm biased because Jake is a Canucks prospect and McCann is not (even though later I labelled Jake a third liner too).    You're also arguing CDC for praising Jake.  On the other hand, you're praising McCann and value his upside.  By your logic, we should treat McCann and Jake the same....so technically, if you're praising McCann, you should praise Jake, therefore you agree with CDC praising Jake, no?

If your examples of a top 6 forward are a 26 years old with career high of 35 pts or a 31 years old with only two 40+ pts season, then, I'm definitely wrong and McCann can be a top 6, if the bar is that low.  I prefer having my top 6 players being career 40+ pts players with a few flashes of 50-60 pts season.  IMO, Baertschi and Grabner are top 6 by opportunity only, playing on weak teams.  They'd never make the top 6 of a contender.

Anyways, safe to say we'll never agree on this one.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

On 2/1/2019 at 9:38 AM, HKSR said:

Now watch McCann light it up playing with Malkin or Crosby and the Canucks naysayers will say we got fleeced by Florida.

Yeah, but McCann played with Florida, in an arguably better situation than he had here, and I can't say that I believe he was lighting up the league with his performance.

And if he does get extensive time playing with Crosby/Malkin, and he does light it up, is there not an argument to be made that McCann is merely padding his stats while being on a line with elite players, kinda' like how some folks here described some of the various RWs who played with the Sedins?

regards,  G.

• Hydration 1

On 2/1/2019 at 10:59 AM, apollo said:

Gudbranson and his -20 and 4mjll contract really add positive value! 

McCann was developing well here. We overpaid. 

Sure. In time, at the rate of improvement he has shown, McCann might even out produce Markus Granlund.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Haha 2

McCann with 3 goes in 7 games on pace for 33 goals in an 82 game season? :frantic:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

McCann with 3 goes in 7 games on pace for 33 goals in an 82 game season? :frantic:

Shhh, bad fan. 

• Haha 1

Well this trade is turning out really really good for Pittsburgh so far. 

Score one for Rutherford.

Nick Bjustad

21 games 6 goals 4 assists 10 points, +2

Jared McCann

21 games 9 goals 4 assists 13 points, +9