The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Feb. 05, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Gutsy effort against the Champs. Would like to see Brisebois play at least 1 of the next 2 or 3 games. 

18 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Agreed. Tanev shouldn't be playing his off side though. He was getting pummelled out there. 

17 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Defenseman statistics for the game:

TOI     CF   CA    Scoring chances for      Scoring chances against

Alex Biega D 11:58 9 9                   2                                    3                                                      
Ben Hutton D 23:12 26 21                   14                                     8                                                      
Christopher Tanev D 14:19 5 14                    2                                      8                                                      
Derrick Pouliot D 14:43 12 11                    3                                      4                                                      
Erik Gudbranson D 14:52 6 13                     2                                       8                                                      
Troy Stecher D 22:40 28 22                     15                                       9                    

Notes: 

Canucks could not produce any offense except with the Hutton-Stecher pairing out there. They also played some big minutes today and were the best pairing by a long shot ....

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

Just dropped by to see the comments from the game...

Interesting .... including the posts, from the usual ones that never posts after a victory...

We lost two games, with one goal each and were in both games... We were not supposed to do this well this season, so why are folks so negative?

The sky is falling...wtf...

We may or may not react the play offs, but its a process of building the team, and its the best we've looked in 4 years trending upwards.

How about enjoying the youngsters evolving, and the fact we give everyone a game. Bar from a few, we've been really good this season... 

Coming in very late. Although it was a loss there were some positives.

1. In the first period the only positive was Marky, who kept the Canucks in the game. The Canucks were fortunate to be down only 1-0 after the first. Not to make excuses, but the Canucks had a physically demanding and emotionally disappointing game the day before, not to mention the injuries. On the road three time zones from home against the defending Cup champions in the second game of a tough back-to-back, it not a shock to come out slow.

2. The first Washington goal was a classic case of why coaches like Ds to play on their natural side. Tanev was trying to carry the puck up the left side. That means his forehand side was up the middle. When he lost the puck to Oshie the puck went up the middle into a high danger area and ended up in the net. If he had been skating up the right side, the puck would probably have gone toward the boards and ended up in the corner instead of in the net. After the giveaway, there was a 2 on 1 with Guddy as the 1 and he got turned around. He did not make a mistake but it would have been nice to see him bail out Tanev.

3. As Duodenum shows, the Tanev-Guddy pairing got crushed in terms of relative scoring chances. Green was obviously not very comfortable with either the Guddy/Tanev paring or the Biega/Pouliot pairing and played Hutton and Stecher as much as possible, with Hutton ending up with 28 minutes! Stecher was also very good, again.

4. It was surprising and impressive to see the Canucks make such a strong comeback in the second and third periods.. I would say that the Canucks outplayed the Capitals over the last two periods. Once again, the Canucks were unlucky with the posts and it looked to me like the third Washington goal was hit with a high stick, although I agree that the replay was not completely definitive. While it looked like the puck was hit with a high stick it is possible that it was not, so the refs went with the call on the ice. The Canucks deserved at least a point tonight and probably deserved two.

5. Great to see EP40 score again. A little of people on CDC, including me, are looking forward to him getting the Calder.

6. I agree with Spook about enjoying this team. I like this team a lot better than the team in the first two Benning years when the best players on the team were vets -- great players (especially the Sedins and Miller), but obviously well into age-related decline. We were watching a declining team. It is a lot more fun to watch an improving team. Obviously EP, Boeser, and Horvat are great to watch, and I have really liked Hutton and Stecher this year as well. Virtanen has been a positive, as has Motte. And the prospects like Hughes, Gaudette, Demko, Woo, and Madden have been a great story. It is now possible to see things taking shape for the future. Personally I would have preferred to bottom out earlier instead of watching a slow decline. but that is history now and I am happy that Benning seems to be in full rebuild mode. 

7. I would also like to see Brisebois get a chance to play. Green would probably go with three lefties so Biega would come out.

2 hours ago, Shaelon said:

Its not going to take 96 pts to make it out of the west this year, its going to be 85-91 pts at best

If you look at historical data (say from the last 10 years) the  majority of the time the wild card spots are occupied by teams who had 95+ points. Just because everyone is neck and neck right now doesn't mean two of these teams wont get hot and dash the Canucks playoff hopes.  85 points is barely above .500 with the extra points from OTL's. I highly doubt a .500 hockey club will make the playoffs this season or any other. Rather than focusing on the competitions mediocrity the Canucks should focus on winning games if they hope to make the post season.

2 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

If you look at historical data (say from the last 10 years) the  majority of the time the wild card spots are occupied by teams who had 95+ points. Just because everyone is neck and neck right now doesn't mean two of these teams wont get hot and dash the Canucks playoff hopes.  85 points is barely above .500 with the extra points from OTL's. I highly doubt a .500 hockey club will make the playoffs this season or any other. Rather than focusing on the competitions mediocrity the Canucks should focus on winning games if they hope to make the post season.

I think you can rest assured, that their focus is on winning games....if only focusing was all it took....

5 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Defenseman statistics for the game:

TOI     CF   CA    Scoring chances for      Scoring chances against

Alex Biega D 11:58 9 9                   2                                    3                                                      
Ben Hutton D 23:12 26 21                   14                                     8                                                      
Christopher Tanev D 14:19 5 14                    2                                      8                                                      
Derrick Pouliot D 14:43 12 11                    3                                      4                                                      
Erik Gudbranson D 14:52 6 13                     2                                       8                                                      
Troy Stecher D 22:40 28 22                     15                                       9                    

Notes: 

Canucks could not produce any offense except with the Hutton-Stecher pairing out there. They also played some big minutes today and were the best pairing by a long shot. Biega and Pouliot were relatively low event, ice was very tilted in Washington's favor when Tanev and Gudbranson were out there. If you've been following along, that's no surprise as Gudbranson pulls everyone into his black hole, one so strong not even Chris Tanev can escape from it. 

Hutton and Stecher continue their great play this season and both were rewarded today with 28+ mins toi total for Hutton along with 25+ mins toi for Stecher. 

What does CF and CA stand for?

What were the lines in the actual game? Curious if they stayed the same or changed from the GDT ones like did he use these at all or did Green use them for just the first period and change them up, or did he kind of use these lines and move a couple players around on different lines, just curious.

These were the lines in the GDT.

Schaller Horvat Leivo

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Russell Sutter Virtanen

Eriksson Beagle Motte

11 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

What were the lines in the actual game? Curious if they stayed the same or changed from the GDT ones like did he use these at all or did Green use them for just the first period and change them up, or did he kind of use these lines and move a couple players around on different lines, just curious.

These were the lines in the GDT.

Schaller Horvat Leivo

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Russell Sutter Virtanen

Eriksson Beagle Motte

That wasn't the lineup - they started with

Goldobin Horvat Boeser

Roussel Petttersson Leivo

Granlund Sutter Virtanen

Eriksson Beagle Motte

Horvat's line stayed together.  Virtanen at times replaced Roussel on that Pettersson-Leivo line.

First time poster, long time reader of CDC.

Loving the effort by the boys the past few games, unfortunately the bounces didn't go our way.

However, my one complaint has been the lack of production from Brandon Sutter. He's just not cutting it. 2 assists in 24 games while averaging 17:31. The offence is just dying on his stick.  Very redundant with Beagle on the team and Gaudette/Gaunce in the minors. I know Benning likes has him as a "core" guy, but we desperately need a better third line offensive wave for the playoff push

1 hour ago, mll said:

That wasn't the lineup - they started with

Goldobin Horvat Boeser

Roussel Petttersson Leivo

Granlund Sutter Virtanen

Eriksson Beagle Motte

Horvat's line stayed together.  Virtanen at times replaced Roussel on that Pettersson-Leivo line.

Thanks seemed a little weird seeing Schaller on the first line didn't think that was right.

I have no problem with Boeser and Pettersson on different lines that's what I always preferred have 2 scoring lines instead of one, but I do question not having Goldobin with Pettersson since they have shown chemistry together before especially early on in the season, could of just switched up Leivo and Goldobin imo, and was thinking switching up Roussel and Virtanen, but as you said Green did that good.

Brutal game by Tanev. Gave up the first goal on a turnover to OV, iced the puck, didn't complete his passes, lost positioning... I realize he was on his off side, but please don't play him there again and with Guddy.

Also, how his stock has fallen over the last season, wish we'd have traded him last season. 8 mins less ice-time than Stecher and Hutton agains the cup champs? That says a lot...

Apart from getting worked up on Tanev, I didn't mind our effort. A bit of bad luck, bad 1st period, good 2nd, game could have gone either way. Goldy was good once again IMO.

32 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd like to see Brizboy and DiPietro in next game.

Can someone lock Pouliot in a closet somewhere?

Please..

I highly doubt Dipietro is ready to play at the NHL. However, who really knows until he gets games. Playing junior is a tad easier lmao.

11 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Given coach chubby plays him on the second unit pp I am thinking he is going to stick around .... sadly 

10 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

They don’t award points for effort Green however if you want to hand out effort medals after the game the player’s parents may appreciate it 

Working really well so far Green, keep up the cutting edge coaching 

I just don’t think it’s crediboe to say it was a good effort when there were glaring screwups 

mostly as a result of his choices 

Wow. Not sure if Green deserves this kind of hate !

6 hours ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

I think the speed of an NHL game has increased so much, but the referee's abilities haven't.

I'd like to think that the best refs are employed by the NHL. If calls are being missed maybe they need simply need more eyes. 3 refs and 2 linesman, off-ice refs, more coach's challenges? 

Have a ref watching from above with video replay at his disposal and ability to communicate with refs at ice level. 

I don't know how you explain that high sick goal though. Sure looked like his stick changed the course of travel, above the net, of the puck on the replay I saw.

I think even the biggest supporter of Pouliot cannot argue the team hasn't done it's best to give him a chance.

But I think the Pouliot experiment has to end. Either send him to the minors (I doubt anyone would claim him), or package him in a trade. 

His redeeming trait is he can skate. But give him the slightest amount of pressure in the forecheck he coughs up the puck. 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I highly doubt Dipietro is ready to play at the NHL. However, who really knows until he gets games. Playing junior is a tad easier lmao.

What if  he does well? Rest Marky. Energizes the team. Miracle on ice!

DeePetie!

What I love about this team as opposed to years past is they just don't give up, no matter how badly they get outplayed in the first.  That easily could've been a 5-0 game but Marky kept them in it in the first and whatever Travis Green said in the intermission worked as they came out firing in the second.  Simply put this team never gives up, take notes Edmonton(oh snap).  BTW Notice Little Things got benched in the third(for the most part), finally.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think even the biggest supporter of Pouliot cannot argue the team hasn't done it's best to give him a chance.

But I think the Pouliot experiment has to end. Either send him to the minors (I doubt anyone would claim him), or package him in a trade. 

His redeeming trait is he can skate. But give him the slightest amount of pressure in the forecheck he coughs up the puck. 

I can do without Pouliot, Sutter, Eriksson and Granlund.  At least move one of the forwards and get Gaudette back up here. 

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Just dropped by to see the comments from the game...

Interesting .... including the posts, from the usual ones that never posts after a victory...

We lost two games, with one goal each and were in both games... We were not supposed to do this well this season, so why are folks so negative?

The sky is falling...wtf...

We may or may not react the play offs, but its a process of building the team, and its the best we've looked in 4 years trending upwards.

How about enjoying the youngsters evolving, and the fact we give everyone a game. Bar from a few, we've been really good this season... 

If anything, I'm surprised more people haven't made comments on Hutton's 28 minutes of ice time and still coming out a +1. 

Archived