The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Feb. 05, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

How ever thinks that puck was missed by the stick are well as blind as the refs! Another BS call against the canucks. The list goes on.

It’s a crappy way to lose that’s for sure but the guys put up one of their best efforts and sadly the refs (and Toronto )made us pay. If we play that hard every game (aside from the 1st) we will

get better results. But yeah it’s frustrating af

14 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I think they want to lose you don’t pass over McEneny for Breezy when Mac Daddy is putting up twice as many points and is being played in every situation also is a big reason for Utica’s turnaround.

What a silly comment. No team wants to loose, especially a young team in a playoff race they have no business being in...

Maybe it had more to do with the fact that they wanted Mc playing, not sitting in the press box when Utica is fighting for their own playoff spot. Maybe they felt Breezer would be more effectively currently coming in on a third pairing on an emergency bases. Maybe Breezer is also been having a fantastic season and they are rewarding him. Maybe they want to take a closer look at Breezer in practice to see where he fits in a future lineup. Maybe they don't want the rest of the league noticing how well Mc has developed incase he needs to pass waivers or something.

Maybe the mangament team who has clearly been knocking out of the park lately knows what their doing. Or maybe they want to loose games for... well not sure why they would possibly want that but... maybe?

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think even the biggest supporter of Pouliot cannot argue the team hasn't done it's best to give him a chance.

But I think the Pouliot experiment has to end. Either send him to the minors (I doubt anyone would claim him), or package him in a trade. 

His redeeming trait is he can skate. But give him the slightest amount of pressure in the forecheck he coughs up the puck. 

I believe you are correct the only thing is happening now is his confidence is making his situation worse. He needs to go down to the minors to salvage any kind of hope for a career in the NHL.

Right now he is looking like a minor leaguer who can't do anything right. He is now treating the puck like a hot potato. 

Do everyone a favor and send him down, please.

3 hours ago, J-P said:

Yeah - the way I saw it Goldy hustled back and was anything but lazy although his positioning was not good. Where were Bo and Boeser on the play, still in the o zone? ;)

I am finding that more and more that our young guys when not scoring is showing their weakness in defense. I hate to say this but they are playing defense like the Sedins would except at least their not sticking their stick out and getting hooking/holding calls. I guess that's the veteran leadership we wanted for our young guys. 

Anyway, liked Goldy's first game back but he has not continued it on and shown consistency.

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

How ever thinks that puck was missed by the stick are well as blind as the refs! Another BS call against the canucks. The list goes on.

I've only seen the overhead replay and it certainly appears that it's touched, but I's like to see the ice level angle to truly see........the oh has no depth and it's impossible to tell where the stick is in relation to the puck.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hutton was hands down the best Canuck last night. He has truly turned his game around since the beginning of the season. Stecher struggled a bit last fall but has regained steam and looks better each game. 

Absolutely agree about Brisbois. IMHO it is far more important to rotate Brisbois, McEneny and maybe Chatfield thru the roster than play Beiga or even Pouliot. One has to help that players not in the long term plan will be moved for some kind of return. I doubt Schaller would bring anything back so he is a writeoff. Granlund does have value and playing him likely helps get a deal if that is the decision. Many fans upset with Sutter but that is not fair considering his injury and rush back to play. He has value now and will have next year. I prefer to keep him unless a good deal happens. 

One of the few criticisms I have with a partition of CDCers is their constant writing off of roster players. So many "trade Sutter" and "scratch Erikkson" posts, specifically. They may not be producing points based on their contracts, but they bring so much in other departments that's it's farfetched to think of replacing them with players who aren't ready to play fulltime. Gaudette isn't ready for 3C full time. Dahlen JUST started in Utica. I mean it was great to see Gaudette have moderate success when BOTH our defensive centres were out, and yes it would be nice to see Dahlen reestablish proven chemistry with Pettersson, but at the expense of butchering the roster or prospect development? No thanks.

As for Hutton and Stecher; What a delight they've been stepping up last night and these past couple of months. Amazing turn around for Hutty who's on pace to hit career highs in most categories, and I didn't even know Stecher was a +17. That's insane!

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've only seen the overhead replay and it certainly appears that it's touched, but I's like to see the ice level angle to truly see........the oh has no depth and it's impossible to tell where the stick is in relation to the puck.

Yeah during the game our sportsnet views from ice level looks like it missed. But the Washington guys with that OH view thats clear its slight but contact was made..

1 hour ago, Megalodon said:

I’m just glad we aren’t playing for the nucks. We’d be destroyed! Can’t get past one moment in time! No mental strength at all! Move on! 

Imagine being a hockey player in the NHL, and not knowing how the refs are going to call the game. That must be frustrating.

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

While we are on the subject of Jake, why is he not being put on the #1 PP as he can carry the puck into the zone and then plant his big body in front of the goalie. He was the last guy to do that on the PP awhile back and its one of the things lacking on the #1 PP IMHO.

Jake usually hands the puck over/bobbles it before he gains the zone, has done it numerous times in the last two games, tried to "chip" it past a defender and right onto his stick, or throws it blindly, tries to put it between someones closed legs etc.

Watch him next time he's on and he usually coughs it up.

3 hours ago, Gäz said:

I couldn't believe someone on our team not named Pettersson made that play. I really hope he can get his play-sans-puck up to par; it would be a real shame to see so much skill be squandered because of deficiencies in other areas.

Couldn't agree more.  He does think the game like Petterson and can bring that to another line, like he did last night.  For sure his play without the puck and overall compete level are still issues, but there are elite components to his game. 

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah during the game our sportsnet views from ice level looks like it missed. But the Washington guys with that OH view thats clear its slight but contact was made..

I don't think that's a call you can make from the OH view, it needs to be viewed from ice level to truly tell, imo.

One problem I had on the Wash(supposed) 3rd marker:

Why'd they take about 6.7 seconds to review the ****ing thing? If it's one of the league US darlings(especially) some of these reviews seem to take an eternity.

You'd think such a tough call at least would've warranted a min(or two) for some solid, good looks? They SUUUURE seem to rush it through sometimes, eh?

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think even the biggest supporter of Pouliot cannot argue the team hasn't done it's best to give him a chance.

But I think the Pouliot experiment has to end. Either send him to the minors (I doubt anyone would claim him), or package him in a trade. 

His redeeming trait is he can skate. But give him the slightest amount of pressure in the forecheck he coughs up the puck. 

I've been developing a budding theory that involves him secretly gifted gold bars in a numbered Swiss bank account.

(in a dark room, somewheres he visited)..."Seriously DP baby..all we ask is you loook like yer trying. We just need you to sabotage 1 more season."

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

What a silly comment. No team wants to loose, especially a young team in a playoff race they have no business being in...

Maybe it had more to do with the fact that they wanted Mc playing, not sitting in the press box when Utica is fighting for their own playoff spot. Maybe they felt Breezer would be more effectively currently coming in on a third pairing on an emergency bases. Maybe Breezer is also been having a fantastic season and they are rewarding him. Maybe they want to take a closer look at Breezer in practice to see where he fits in a future lineup. Maybe they don't want the rest of the league noticing how well Mc has developed incase he needs to pass waivers or something.

Maybe the mangament team who has clearly been knocking out of the park lately knows what their doing. Or maybe they want to loose games for... well not sure why they would possibly want that but... maybe?

I guess I’m selfish only thinking of our team maybe having a UFA at seasons end help Utica get into the playoffs is better for the future.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

4 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

If you look at the view from in back of the net it looks like he didn't make contact. If you look at the OH view it looks like he did. I think the refs saw this too and called it 'inconclusive, the call on the ice stands'. It's just unfortunate that the call on the ice was initially no goal and then goal. . Had it been the other way around we might all be gloating right now and planning the parade route.

8 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Wow. Not sure if Green deserves this kind of hate !

Don’t like the decision to move EP down the lineup with zero results and also the decision to play Pouliot when a blind person can see how god awful he is 

i also dont like being him being happy with with a loss because it creates a culture accepting of losses 

that’s all on Green 

so yeah I feel he is deserving of some blunt criticism 

Ya. Overhead view wasn't a good view to show that Kuznetsov didn't actually hit the puck. The replay posted after that shows that the redirection of the puck was because of the puck hitting the top of the net. Toronto got this one right for sure, and I'm certainly no league apologist. Didn't watch the game last night, but a bunch of those no-calls in Philly... What a joke.

Archived