The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Feb. 05, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Ok honestly there was no contact with the high stick please just stop. If you really think there is contact please watch again keeping in mind that the puck was bouncing on the top of the net 

as with pouliot, he is OK and I have a feeling that he was asked by Green to not worry about the turnovers too much because they want him to make plays with the puck and not just chip it off the glass like Guddy does.

But problem is pouliot’s turnovers will therefore be magnified no matter what because a turn over always looks bad. If pouliot plays it safe every play then he wouldn’t be in the lineup at all, his role is to make plays

9 minutes ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

The puck was touched with a high stick at least three times. The first wave at it and other subsequent waves. It clearly changes direction. You would have to be very confused to not be able to see that. The fluttering puck does not move side to side on it's own.

Honestly I thought so as well but the behind the net angle shows it bounce off the netting and the stick attempts missing it 

1 minute ago, ktcy2 said:

Ok honestly there was no contact with the high stick please just stop. If you really think there is contact please watch again keeping in mind that the puck was bouncing on the top of the net 

as with pouliot, he is OK and I have a feeling that he was asked by Green to not worry about the turnovers too much because they want him to make plays with the puck and not just chip it off the glass like Guddy does.

But problem is pouliot’s turnovers will therefore be magnified no matter what because a turn over always looks bad. If pouliot plays it safe every play then he wouldn’t be in the lineup at all, his role is to make plays

Yes it is .... unfortunately he doesn’t make the plays 

Defenseman statistics for the game:

TOI     CF   CA    Scoring chances for      Scoring chances against

Alex Biega D 11:58 9 9                   2                                    3                                                      
Ben Hutton D 23:12 26 21                   14                                     8                                                      
Christopher Tanev D 14:19 5 14                    2                                      8                                                      
Derrick Pouliot D 14:43 12 11                    3                                      4                                                      
Erik Gudbranson D 14:52 6 13                     2                                       8                                                      
Troy Stecher D 22:40 28 22                     15                                       9                    

Notes: 

Canucks could not produce any offense except with the Hutton-Stecher pairing out there. They also played some big minutes today and were the best pairing by a long shot. Biega and Pouliot were relatively low event, ice was very tilted in Washington's favor when Tanev and Gudbranson were out there. If you've been following along, that's no surprise as Gudbranson pulls everyone into his black hole, one so strong not even Chris Tanev can escape from it. 

Hutton and Stecher continue their great play this season and both were rewarded today with 28+ mins toi total for Hutton along with 25+ mins toi for Stecher. 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

On a positive note, the Oilers just completely melted down and let in 4 third period goals in 3 minutes. :lol:

Plenty of teams sucking. 

Oils and Avs lost, wild got only one pt.  Blues won and that's the only bad score tonight. 

Nux will be fighting to the final week.  

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Phil, I'm pretty sure every hockey fan has resigned themselves to the fact that refs just suck. Suckage, plain and simple suckassedness.

All the way from atom to pro, refs suck. There's no simple explanation really. It may be a really hard job, they might be prejudiced, they might be really really stupid, certifiable losers - probably, but consensus is - they're blind. 

I think it's a bit from every column, more heavily weighted one way or another depending on which loser is rockin' the rink zebra style. The only thing we can verify with any kind of scientific analysis is that they suck and everyone hates them (except their Moms, maybe).

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Phil, I'm pretty sure every hockey fan has resigned themselves to the fact that refs just suck. Suckage, plain and simple suckassedness.

All the way from atom to pro, refs suck. There's no simple explanation really. It may be a really hard job, they might be prejudiced, they might be really really stupid, certifiable losers - probably, but consensus is - they're blind. 

I think it's a bit from every column, more heavily weighted one way or another depending on which loser is rockin' the rink zebra style. The only thing we can verify with any kind of scientific analysis is that they suck and everyone hates them (except their Moms, maybe).

I was at the Victoria Royals game vs Tri City and Igor Martynov was hit with a highstick, ref calls a penalty. They show him the blood and the ref says “I didn't see what caused that” WTF you literally called the penalty and saw the blood. Call on the ice 2 minutes for high sticking :picard:

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I was at the Victoria Royals game vs Tri City and Igor Martynov was hit with a highstick, ref calls a penalty. They show him the blood and the ref says “I didn't see what caused that” WTF you literally called the penalty and saw the blood. Call on the ice 2 minutes for high sticking :picard:

Ha! That's so typical. I was supposed to go to the Saturday game vs tri but my brother got the flu and bailed on me. 

Can't say I was all that disappointed though. The Colorado game was awesome and my son had an 830 game on Sunday. 

Sunday morning games with an inevitable hangover are more punishment than they're worth

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Ha! That's so typical. I was supposed to go to the Saturday game vs tri but my brother got the flu and bailed on me. 

Can't say I was all that disappointed though. The Colorado game was awesome and my son had an 830 game on Sunday. 

Sunday morning games with an inevitable hangover are more punishment than they're worth

Was a spur of the moment trip for us I had the day off and came down, trying to decide between the PG game or Everett for next trip. 

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

Thanks @-Vintage Canuck-!! Hard to see it on the radio. Interesting play to say the least. 

I'm most interested if Pettersson could try that play on purpose? It's a legit way to score with puck flip over the net, off the goalie back and in. Didnt Gretzky do that a few times?

I was at one game when Bure, from behind the net, flicked it up and over the net, then darted round to knock it in baseball style

Man, these one goal games where we get 0 points are killing us. But let's try to stay positive. Lots of home games coming up. If we can get a win or two to finish this road trip, we'll still be okay. I hope Horvat gets out of his mini slump. He's looking good out there. Tanev played a great game. Markstrom continues to look sharp. 

Archived