The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Silver Linings If You Want to See Them

Warhippy

Let the boys run with it...they've earned it.

All the positivity this season has been seeing how the young players have taken over, together with Markys fantastic play.

What ever will be, will be...

Silver linings are, that if its play offs, it will make the fans happy, and a good draft pick will make them happy as well.

It's been quite a long time since fans have been this united in looking positively on the team, and its future regardless...

And this is why, I want us to just run with it if possible.

The young players have done good.

Expect 1-2 more youth in the line up next season and again the year after, and again the year after... The young players have already taken over the team, and they will continue to do so, but they need games of value in the NHL before they can contend, so the tougher the games the better. All a learning curve... so even a 1st round playoff exit will be of huge value.

Unfortunately I don't believe in the luck of the draft position fairy god mother, and I have zero faith in us getting a top 3 pick.

I've resigned myself to the fact, that if no blatant cheating were ever involved in the draft lottery, then some woodoo doctor (probably Gary Bettman) must be sitting somewhere, putting needles into a Canucks jersey.

This club is cursed, when it comes to draft.

Thank god Benning has been able to pick up players anywhere in the draft.

I see us making a play for a FA in the offseason. Stone is very tempting, especially if Baertschi continue to have problems. Although expensive, he will be cheaper than EK or similar. Hopefully Dahlen i able to take up a top 2 wing position as well.

But for now no rentals for assets/picks... 

Bring it on...

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Let the boys run with it...they've earned it.

All the positivity this season has been seeing how the young players have taken over, together with Markys fantastic play.

What ever will be, will be...

Silver linings are, that if its play offs, it will make the fans happy, and a good draft pick will make them happy as well.

It's been quite a long time since fans have been this united in looking positively on the team, and its future regardless...

And this is why, I want us to just run with it if possible.

The young players have done good.

Expect 1-2 more youth in the line up next season and again the year after, and again the year after... The young players have already taken over the team, and they will continue to do so, but they need games of value in the NHL before they can contend, so the tougher the games the better. All a learning curve... so even a 1st round playoff exit will be of huge value.

Unfortunately I don't believe in the luck of the draft position fairy god mother, and I have zero faith in us getting a top 3 pick.

I've resigned myself to the fact, that if no blatant cheating were ever involved in the draft lottery, then some woodoo doctor (probably Gary Bettman) must be sitting somewhere, putting needles into a Canucks jersey.

This club is cursed, when it comes to draft.

Thank god Benning has been able to pick up players anywhere in the draft.

I see us making a play for a FA in the offseason. Stone is very tempting, especially if Baertschi continue to have problems. Although expensive, he will be cheaper than EK or similar. Hopefully Dahlen i able to take up a top 2 wing position as well.

But for now no rentals for assets/picks... 

Bring it on...

Regardless of the outcome, I'm proud of what this team has accomplished. We were supposed to be a lottery team and yet here we are in ther middle of a wildcard hunt. Maintain the status quo and que sera, sera. If we flounder without Edler/Baertschi in the coming weeks leading to the TDL, I'd be ok with l flipping Granny, Schaller, Gagner and/or Leivo at the deadline, but that's pretty much it. Leave Sutter, Erikkson, Guddy and Tanev on the roster and maybe revisit come draft day.

The next month or so is going to be entertaining, at the very least, and incredibly beneficial for the group if they squeak in. Will be a good litmus test, especially for Petey, Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen, Hutton, and Stecher to see how they perform in playoff style hockey while supported by playoff vets in Beagle, Roussel, and Guddy (and many others who've I've neglected to mention). Not alot of ways for the season to go wrong. They've already surpassed expectations, at least in my eyes.

When you say "as bad as things seem," I don't really see things as that bad. Certainly not as bad as what we felt in the Torts season or the years between Willie and Green.

I get the context of "as bad as things seem" from a standpoint of the silver lining (and agree) but this has always been - for lack of better termonology - a process. 

To me there have always been silver linings in this process. Many of those silver linings in the past few years have led to us to a greater silver lining we see now.

I suppose it comes down to how you look at it, expectations, and what it is you're looking at within the process.

I mean, think back to the Torts season and the outrage and that state of "bad". Well, the silver lining was much needed change - President, new GM and Coach. That new season, you could say the silver lining was one last playoff run. The following year, major dismantling and changes, creating the foundation for youth, with a silver lining that was finally focused on drafting. Another silver lining was that we were finally shedding the old core with an eye on the future. It was never going to happen overnight.

Like we all knew from the change demanded after the Torts season, there was going to be more bad than good. And most fans were willing to accept the bad in order for change to occur and get better in the long run. 

Then another coaching change and the silver lining of we finally have the coach many fans wanted. Then we saw Boeser arrive from our previous silver lining ... then Petterson ... I could go on ...

I agree with what you see but I'm just trying to say that the silver lining didn't suddenly appear. There were silver linings all along the way through the bad. Maybe for some it's all now a bit more tangible.

If you really think about it, it's really not as bad as things seem because we're now at a place where we - as fans - actually wanted to be from the changes we demanded after the Torts season. Fans demanded change, we got it, and we're now starting to see that very future we envisioned in 2014.

Are we contenders yet? No. Is there still more work to be done. Yes. But I'd say we're now at a place where many fans wanted us to be after five seasons. 

"Youth is wasted on the young!"..ol' crusty curmudgeons have been known to grumble.

So prove'em wrong laddies! Go get'em, young 'Nuckers.

Glad to hear JB is staying the course. The way he & Brackett are nailing it with picks, this team will soon have too much talent, like they're Canada making a World Cup entry.

It basically comes down to wait and see.

We are at a crossroads where there is a silver lining in every direction, and also a potential of a fly in the ointment to watch out for too.

There are a few ways of tanking. It is important what way we may tank. Of course there is no such thing as a team purposely tanking. But if they tank, there are a couple of ways. Either by trading away, if possible, a few vets at the deadline, reducing our depth and experience, and having to play our prospects more, and so lose games because of rookie mistakes more than anything. The other way is if we get too many injuries, such as Edler, to core players, which is basically the same thing, we run out of depth of NHL calibre players, and lose because of that.

There are ways we make the playoffs.  Edler is back in the lineup sooner than expected. Baer comes back too. EP and BB continue their impressive seasons. Goldobin and Virtanen continue to improve and contribute. (I'd still like to dump Sutter and Granlund if we can get a couple more picks this summer, even if they'd be more depth for us in the playoffs)

I'd like JB to approach the last half of the season, and the TDL, with a rebuild as most important. And getting more draft picks this year. Trading superfluous vets. That's why one fly in the ointment is Edlers injury. Canuck luck. I remember a few players we had in the past, Hamhuis comes to mind, the year before he was gone, he was injured just at the TDL so we couldn't trade him. Another player was in the same boat, maybe it was Vrbata.  Canuck luck. So I am a bit bummed that Edler may be still in recovery, or at least his stock would be down, come TDL. Because I think we could have gotten a very nice piece in the puzzle for Edler if he had remained healthy and continued his good play right up to the TDL. I know JB already is indicating he's going to re-sign him, but I think this is a mistake, not to at least try and trade him.  He will not be playing any better than he is this season, his contract year. This is as peak a price as we could ever get for Edler.  If we only knew we could get Tram back for sure.

I'd like JB to be thinking 'rebuild' first. Trade away as many older vets, get as many new picks/prospects as you can.  And then let the chips fall where they may. If we still squeak into the playoffs...great! If we don't, we will have a lottery pick as well as new young prospects we didn't have, and next season will be bright.

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

My list is a little bigger than your list...…...Sutter, Granlund, Schaller, Pouliot, and Gagner 

Now, I don't honestly think we get a lot, but Sutter to Mtl for a 2nd, Granlund to Phili for Lehtera + 3rd, Schaller to NYI for a 5th, and Pouliot for Orpik + 4th, Gagner to ?????...etc are all deals I would like to see happen this year

Just about all to clear room for our prospects, and maybe an upgrade....Lahtera and Orpik both come off the books at the end of the year, and it clears 8.7 M off our books

With the draft in Vancouver...it would be a hoot and a buzz, and at absolutely no loss to us, IMO

I am with you on this one Jan, there are a lot of vets on this team I would look to move if any interest.  Not because I don't believe in the team but because I really believe in where it is heading.  The youth have exceeded expectations, Edler has maybe had the best two years of his career and I am all for him coming back.  Really there is a small group of players that have let the team down this year.

If I am looking to improve this team, Sutter and Guddy are at the top of my trade list.

Tanev is a tough one, his game has dropped off this year and there is always the question of injuries.  Time may be right to recover what value you can but he may also be the best partner for Hughes next year.

I would actually probably keep Granlund, he is a useful utility forward.  Can play up and down the lineup at any forward position and is inexpensive.  Useful guy to have but not primary option.

Pouliot is a walk away from in the summer, doubt he has any value at all, but at TDL you never know, someone may throw you a bone and give a late round pick or B grade prospect.  We gave up Forsling for Clendenning so you never know.

Gagner clearly has not garnered any interest or he would be gone.

I fully expect that Quinn will take 2-3 years to adapt to the NHL.  Even in the College game has struggled defensively.  I am a huge fan of his game but expect we will see a lot of vitriol on this board about him if he blows coverage or get out muscled in the corner.  Will likely play PP and spot duty at regular strength for first couple years. 

I want the team to kick ass the rest of the year and narrowly miss the playoffs.  

I think we’d have to play lights out to make it considering how many other teams we have to beat out. 

One forgotten silver lining is that all the injuries forced Gaudette into the NHL for an extended period of time.  If you want to be objective, I’d say that he didn’t deserve the spot for the first 10 or so games but kept building to the point that he proved to himself, the coach and the fans that he belongs in the NHL.  

I was very happy with Gaudette by the end of his stint. 

10 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I fully expect that Quinn will take 2-3 years to adapt to the NHL.  Even in the College game has struggled defensively.  I am a huge fan of his game but expect we will see a lot of vitriol on this board about him if he blows coverage or get out muscled in the corner.  Will likely play PP and spot duty at regular strength for first couple years. 

If he is playing with Tryamkin, he doesn't get outmuscled.

Where he plays is on the 5-6 with Tryamkin at even strength... and then on the #1 PP when Canucks have the advantage.

11 hours ago, kilgore said:

It basically comes down to wait and see.

We are at a crossroads where there is a silver lining in every direction, and also a potential of a fly in the ointment to watch out for too.

There are a few ways of tanking. It is important what way we may tank. Of course there is no such thing as a team purposely tanking. But if they tank, there are a couple of ways. Either by trading away, if possible, a few vets at the deadline, reducing our depth and experience, and having to play our prospects more, and so lose games because of rookie mistakes more than anything. The other way is if we get too many injuries, such as Edler, to core players, which is basically the same thing, we run out of depth of NHL calibre players, and lose because of that.

There are ways we make the playoffs.  Edler is back in the lineup sooner than expected. Baer comes back too. EP and BB continue their impressive seasons. Goldobin and Virtanen continue to improve and contribute. (I'd still like to dump Sutter and Granlund if we can get a couple more picks this summer, even if they'd be more depth for us in the playoffs)

I'd like JB to approach the last half of the season, and the TDL, with a rebuild as most important. And getting more draft picks this year. Trading superfluous vets. That's why one fly in the ointment is Edlers injury. Canuck luck. I remember a few players we had in the past, Hamhuis comes to mind, the year before he was gone, he was injured just at the TDL so we couldn't trade him. Another player was in the same boat, maybe it was Vrbata.  Canuck luck. So I am a bit bummed that Edler may be still in recovery, or at least his stock would be down, come TDL. Because I think we could have gotten a very nice piece in the puzzle for Edler if he had remained healthy and continued his good play right up to the TDL. I know JB already is indicating he's going to re-sign him, but I think this is a mistake, not to at least try and trade him.  He will not be playing any better than he is this season, his contract year. This is as peak a price as we could ever get for Edler.  If we only knew we could get Tram back for sure.

I'd like JB to be thinking 'rebuild' first. Trade away as many older vets, get as many new picks/prospects as you can.  And then let the chips fall where they may. If we still squeak into the playoffs...great! If we don't, we will have a lottery pick as well as new young prospects we didn't have, and next season will be bright.

I'd keep Sutter over beagles...

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

If he is playing with Tryamkin, he doesn't get outmuscled.

Where he plays is on the 5-6 with Tryamkin at even strength... and then on the #1 PP when Canucks have the advantage.

Sounds fun.  It is kind of an ideal pairing should both work out.  However, I have less faith than most on this board that we will see Tryamkin again in a Canuck's uniform, maybe in the NHL.

He came in with an entitled attitude and crapped all over the city on the way out.  Not the sort of thing that endears a player to Benning who stresses character almost to a fault.

Having Tryamkin on the other side of the ice won't keep him from being out-muscled, this isn't a law of averages thing.   

Quinn's defensive game will probably develop into something like Stetcher's where he mostly gets the puck on stick work, speed and positional play and moves things out before he needs to get involved physically.  His offensive game will be all his own, like EP and so many great creative offensive players.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:13 PM, DarthMelvin said:

Really? Beagle would get my vote. 

What you have to consider is who would get the better return, and that’s Sutter, no knock to Beagle but his contract is too rich for contenders and the term that goes with it.  Both would be good adds for a serious run.   Beagle plus a 2nd and a decent prospect or a late first AND Gaudette in the lineup,  is better than Sutter and Beagle or Sutter no Beagle and a lesser return.

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Just read on our Prospect Boards from a reliable contributor, that there is a rumour that Zack MacEwan may have received a call after the Utica game..      hope so.

That would be great.  It’s a tight race to the end...anything that can both help the cause and give some games to AHL players that have earned it is great.  Hope Brisbois is in next game and Biega is out...

Archived