The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks possible targets Maroon, Nyquist, Silfverberg

Frank Seravalli and Craig Button from TSN yesterday on the Deadline War Room, suggested 3 possible players the Canucks may target before the deadline to give them some more scoring, Patrick Maroon, Gustav Nyquist or Jakob Silfverberg, but also talked about how resigning Edler is #1 priority.

Deadline War Room: Canucks' priorities start with re-signing Edler

Up front, the Canucks are well-positioned down the middle with Pettersson and Bo Horvat, but they really need help on the wings – their No. 2 priority. After Brock Boeser, they really fall off from there in terms of scoring.

Can they go out and find a guy at the deadline, as they now sit in a playoff spot, that could potentially help bolster this team on the wing without giving up a lot? I think of a guy like Patrick Maroon – a castoff they could throw in to help this team now.

The key in making such a move is alleviating some of the burden on Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser, where most of their goals come from. 

Looking at the Trade Bait Board, Button likes Gustav Nyquist. We’ve mentioned him in other places, but he’s that good and he’s that skilled. Jakob Silfverberg of the Anaheim Ducks is another player to consider. When you think about Vancouver, which really is a Swedish hockey city in Canada, why wouldn’t Nyquist and Silfverberg fit in with the likes of Pettersson and Edler?

In the short-term, the Canucks’ playoff chances may well rest on how much time Edler misses. The margin is just that thin in the Western Conference.

https://www.tsn.ca/deadline-war-room-canucks-priorities-start-with-re-signing-edler-1.1252667

Nyquist is a a good player, but I don't really see a fit. Silfverberg on the other hand would be a perfect fit that can play up and down the lineup with anybody. Heavy great shot, good defensively and can play shutdown, tough enough for forecheck, skilled and smart enough to play with Bo or EP, what's not to like?

He's an UFA this summer I believe and I don't know what he'll sign for, but if the price is not too high it would be worth a flyer I think.

None of those make any sense considering what Benning has said.

He wont trade for anyone unless its a very depth piece like a backup goalie.

I can see him chasing a couple guys in free agency like Ferland and Myers but I cant see any buying this deadline.

The only sellable pieces with at least some value would be Sutter and Guddy. Doubt management trades Edler or Tanev.

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

None of those make any sense considering what Benning has said.

He wont trade for anyone unless its a very depth piece like a backup goalie.

I can see him chasing a couple guys in free agency like Ferland and Myers but I cant see any buying this deadline.

The only sellable pieces with at least some value would be Sutter and Guddy. Doubt management trades Edler or Tanev.

IMHO, Sutter's not getting traded. Someone like Granlund (who has recently been scratched and put back in) is not reliable on the center position because he's not great at faceoffs. I think Granlund is better as a winger who can make plays. If anything, Granlund is expendable.

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Honestly, I don't think they need more wingers.

The priority should be on defence/defence depth only, especially with Edler potentially out for a while.

The Canucks definitely need another skilled winger or two, particularly on the left side. After Baertschi, the depth goes downhill fast. 

However, non of the players mentioned in the OP fit that bill. Not with what it would cost to acquire them via trade. 

14 minutes ago, J-P said:

Silfverberg on the other hand would be a perfect fit that can play up and down the lineup with anybody.

13 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

I'd be down for Slifverberg for sure...Big body that can score. Swedish... Take goldys spot with Petey.  Yep let's do it.

Only problem being that anything we'd have in trade is probably not what ANA is looking for. I'd wager he's off to a contender.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

IMHO, Sutter's not getting traded. Someone like Granlund (who has recently been scratched and put back in) is not reliable on the center position because he's not great at faceoffs. I think Granlund is better as a winger who can make plays. If anything, Granlund is expendable.

Granlund sure isn't going to get any of these guys in a trade. In fact, I doubt Sutter and Granlund gets us Nyqvist or Silfverberg. They'd want Goldobin or Virtanen, and maybe picks, etc. ANA and DET are rebuilding.

Silfverberg and Nyqvist are both RW, so maybe they want Jake+ in return.

Silvferberg is potentially Eriksson 2.0.  Middle 6 winger with nothing really outstanding in his game - 40 point player and will be 29 years old next season and a UFA.  Maroon oh man no way please.

I want better and younger with this core and top six is what's needed.

Archived