The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks possible targets Maroon, Nyquist, Silfverberg

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only problem being that anything we'd have in trade is probably not what ANA is looking for. I'd wager he's off to a contender.

Goldy should do it.  Anaheim isn't making the playoffs so you'd think an NHL prospect would make them consider it.  Silfverberg is a UFA...not really getting much.

Doesn't make sense for the Canucks to buy any of the guys mentioned. 

Silfverberg would have been intriguing a couple years ago but his play has declined.  While I think he's better than he has shown this season, I don't think the Canucks are in a position to acquire him as a rental.  He might be an interesting UFA target this summer since his performance this year may affect his value but I don't see that happening unless the Canucks ship out some forwards and don't have confidence that one of the younger prospects can make the jump next year.

Gustav Nyquist (DET) is also intriguing but, again, I don't see how the Canucks can be interested.  As others have mentioned, they already have Eriksson's contract weighing them down and while I don't mind him as a player, they can't afford to throw another big contract to an aging forward.

If there's any deal that the Canucks may be interested in at the deadline or this summer, then I would think it has to be a deal involving a D.  No idea what that market is like right now but I presume any deals of that nature would be left to the summer.

11 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Goldy should do it.  Anaheim isn't making the playoffs so you'd think an NHL prospect would make them consider it.  Silfverberg is a UFA...not really getting much.

They'd likely get more for Silfver than Goldy from a contender.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They'd likely get more for Silfver than Goldy from a contender.

Looking at Silfverberg's playoff numbers, there would be many playoff teams looking to acquire him.

A 1st round pick would definitely have to be involved. So not happening on our end.

These all seem like a nope.

If we make a move, it has to be for quality.

We need a legitimate top 6 winger, and we need a top 4 RHD who brings some offence.  They also need to be young and under club control in order to make it worth us spending assets on.

Otherwise it is waiting until the UFA market and see if we can fill a hole or two.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Looking at Silfverberg's playoff numbers, there would be many playoff teams looking to acquire him.

A 1st round pick would definitely have to be involved. So not happening on our end.

I dont think it would take a 1st. Im sure they would want a 1st but that price will come down. 

Wouldn't trade for him but I be willing to give Maroon a shot as a UFA. 

Maroon-EP-Boeser.

He clears up a lot of room, brings toughness+size and easily puts up 20 playing with EP.

Put up 27 goals riding shotgun with McDavid. 

I have some ideas about a team I don't pay attention to,  whose GM I don't listen to....

Maroon makes no sense whatsoever imo, aside from having size on the wing.   Not a good player without the puck - and only 4 goals this year with it.  Why would this expiring contract be something the Canucks would spend an asset on?

I do have an offer though:  to St Louis - Sam Gagner, to Van - Maroon.   Maroon would be lucky to crack the lineup - and imo would fall right behind Schaller in the depth chart, between the Canucks and Utica.  I'd rather see what Gaudette could do than waste the roster spot on a guy that I'd have literally no interest in bringing back.

What 'secondary scoring' is Maroon bringing?   Motte provides more in a strict shutdown role in much harder minutes.

Nyqvist - why would the Canucks pay that price for a small, 29 yr old RW?  He doesn't really represent a primary team need, period.   Where the Buttons get their ideas - who knows?

Silfverberg is the broken clock idea among the 3.   At least his 12 goals come with 39% ozone starts - in other words his production could be misleadingly low (12 goals).  You'd have to consider him imo at a  low to moderate cost - but pass if the price is anything significant.   He's a good two way player but he's probably not physical enough to be the right/correct winger for EP... Could make sense in Baertschi's spot but this team isn't really in the market for rentals.   It will be interesting though to see what Anaheim might expect in a return for him - I think he's interesting but likely a player you look to upgrade upon in due course (as a scoring winger), and not really a need as a shutdown/'bottom' 6 winger.  If the team hadn't already acquired an arguably better fit (Leivo) there might be a bit more interest, but I'm not sure at this point that even a reasonably priced Silfverberg makes much sense unless Anaheim is willing to take what this team is willing to part with (doubtful).    I also have to wonder if Anaheim are going to be sellers = they're 3 pts out of a playoff spot.

Another obvious factor;  the team just lost Edler for who knows how long, and had Baertschi return to Van not feeling well.

If the team is going to have key top 4 D - or scoring forwards - peeled out of the lineup to (yet more) injuries, then if anything that is going to make it less likely that the Canucks would look to these kinds of expiring contracts. 

Without Edler for any period of time it may not be that realistict to expect this team to sustain it's performance and stay in the playoff hunt.

Archived