The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks possible targets Maroon, Nyquist, Silfverberg

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Granlund sure isn't going to get any of these guys in a trade. In fact, I doubt Sutter and Granlund gets us Nyqvist or Silfverberg. They'd want Goldobin or Virtanen, and maybe picks, etc. ANA and DET are rebuilding.

Silfverberg and Nyqvist are both RW, so maybe they want Jake+ in return.

Fans must remember that teams are not giving much for Canuck players that are being scratched and 4th liners..

Schaller -- maybe 5th or 6th rd pick.

Grandlund --maybe 4th rd pick

Sutter -- Good time to trade 29--- Replace with Gaudette......Sutter for 2nd round pick and D prospect.. trades we must make.

1. Pettersson

2. Horvat

3. Gaudette

4. Beagle 

Centre position is good..... Need a goal scoring winger to play with Bo... Big priority..

Need a Dman like Ceci 25 yrs old #3 guy to build future with Hughes, Juolevi, Stetcher, Hutton, Woo, Briesbois

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Frank Seravalli and Craig Button from TSN yesterday on the Deadline War Room, suggested 3 possible players the Canucks may target before the deadline to give them some more scoring, Patrick Maroon, Gustav Nyquist or Jakob Silfverberg, but also talked about how resigning Edler is #1 priority.

Deadline War Room: Canucks' priorities start with re-signing Edler

Up front, the Canucks are well-positioned down the middle with Pettersson and Bo Horvat, but they really need help on the wings – their No. 2 priority. After Brock Boeser, they really fall off from there in terms of scoring.

Can they go out and find a guy at the deadline, as they now sit in a playoff spot, that could potentially help bolster this team on the wing without giving up a lot? I think of a guy like Patrick Maroon – a castoff they could throw in to help this team now.

The key in making such a move is alleviating some of the burden on Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser, where most of their goals come from. 

Looking at the Trade Bait Board, Button likes Gustav Nyquist. We’ve mentioned him in other places, but he’s that good and he’s that skilled. Jakob Silfverberg of the Anaheim Ducks is another player to consider. When you think about Vancouver, which really is a Swedish hockey city in Canada, why wouldn’t Nyquist and Silfverberg fit in with the likes of Pettersson and Edler?

In the short-term, the Canucks’ playoff chances may well rest on how much time Edler misses. The margin is just that thin in the Western Conference.

https://www.tsn.ca/deadline-war-room-canucks-priorities-start-with-re-signing-edler-1.1252667

Ummm....isn't this speculation kind of laughable?  The Canucks said they won't trade picks and they won't trade good prospects.

So what is left to trade for those players? 2nd rate current players or lower tier prospects?

Speculative click bait crap imo.  I liked Maroon when he was in Edmonton but didn't he move east to be near his family? He would be ok with Petey feeding him pucks and he could protect Petey a bit. And he wouldn't cost much but not sure he would want to come west.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Another obvious factor;  the team just lost Edler for who knows how long, and had Baertschi return to Van not feeling well.

If the team is going to have key top 4 D - or scoring forwards - peeled out of the lineup to (yet more) injuries, then if anything that is going to make it less likely that the Canucks would look to these kinds of expiring contracts. 

Without Edler for any period of time it may not be that realistict to expect this team to sustain it's performance and stay in the playoff hunt.

Even without these problems I wouldn't want the Canucks to trade picks or prospects. Now is not the time, we need to gain more picks. That being said I don't believe any of this will happen.

6 hours ago, Ronning4center said:

Goldy should do it.  Anaheim isn't making the playoffs so you'd think an NHL prospect would make them consider it.  Silfverberg is a UFA...not really getting much.

They just traded their Goldy - Aberg had the same issues as Goldobin.

There are 3 players I would like add Connolly, Bertuzzi & Henrique. I would like to say we make the playoffs but watch we better watch out Blues won 3 in a row & Hawks 5 in row.  Now I know Henrique is a center but play him with Horvat.

Henrique/Horvat/Boeser

Eriksson/Pettersson/Connolly

Bertuzzi/Gaudette/Virtanen 

If the Canucks are going to make trades, its going to be for either draft picks or prospects that are either buried in the depth chart or teams are just soured on. Think Michael Dal Colle, Dante Fabbro, along those lines. Those kinds of players are the ones I see getting traded here for a Virtanen or a Goldobin

I don't see the Canucks making any moves at the deadline. Nothing really makes conceivable sense at this point. They don't seem to want to trade Edler or Tanev, and they won't give away draft picks to pick up a rental. It will likely be the status quo, not that there is a problem with that.

15 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Ummm....isn't this speculation kind of laughable?  The Canucks said they won't trade picks and they won't trade good prospects.

So what is left to trade for those players? 2nd rate current players or lower tier prospects?

Speculative click bait crap imo.  I liked Maroon when he was in Edmonton but didn't he move east to be near his family? He would be ok with Petey feeding him pucks and he could protect Petey a bit. And he wouldn't cost much but not sure he would want to come west.

Benning only said he wouldn’t trade any picks from this upcoming draft 

no reason why he can’t offer up there 1st rounder in 2020 for Nyquist 

the team will be considerably better next year and would most likely be later 1st in the early 20”s 

edit it I didn’t realize he was a ufa after this season 

I wouldn’t give up a 1st for him but my point still stands for other potential trades 

Slifverberg is probably the only one that I would take a look at but he would also be far more than the Canucks are willing to give up as Anaheim is not going to take a Goldy, Granlund, LE or even Sutter for him.

Really the only moves that I could see the Canucks making is perhaps a depth player or picking up some late round picks for one or two of the names mentioned above. 

I would like to get Nyqvist, but I don't think Benning is going to do anything at this TDL. He recently commented that he wants the next in line basically to pull up their sleeves and play their best. Let the chips fall where they may. This is good I guess, as it might give some of the younger guys an opportunity, and they won't be trading away their future for a quick fix (picks and prospects). 

Benning also mentioned that he was looking at doing deals with certain teams, but those teams have suddenly climbed the standings a bit, and so those targeted players might no longer be available. I'm guessing CHI and PHI are two of those teams.

Archived