The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks possible targets Maroon, Nyquist, Silfverberg

Canucks possible target:

Boone Jenner.

Unfortunately, however, the CBJ are on the edge of a playoff race, and Jenner is a key hard minutes guy for them - with Dubinsky already out of that lineup.

If they faulter though (as Torts teams can tend to with him riding his horses to exhaustion) - and/or are looking to get assets for Panarin - willing to shake things up, prioritizing their future over this run....

This is the type of player - 25 yrs old with term - that would make sense to spend on.

It's unlikely to happen.....but just as likely as shopping for Maroons imo.

On February 6, 2019 at 2:32 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Granlund sure isn't going to get any of these guys in a trade. In fact, I doubt Sutter and Granlund gets us Nyqvist or Silfverberg. They'd want Goldobin or Virtanen, and maybe picks, etc. ANA and DET are rebuilding.

Silfverberg and Nyqvist are both RW, so maybe they want Jake+ in return.

I think Nyquist is 30 years old???? We don't want to trade for players that are over 27 that will be not around when we are ready to contend?

Crazy to trade for players 30 yrs old??

Silverberg 29 would also be crazy??? These kind of trades will not makes us much stronger..Be patient, these are crazy trade ideas....

These teams will want at least 2nd round picks for the above player.... Benning will not do this....

If we make playoffs great but to bring in older players is crazy??

We will not beat Calgary Sharks in a 7 game series?? Anyone that thinks that is just crazy..

Keep on rebuild and stock prospects or make smart trades for younger players..

Goldy -- Ceci or D man under 25..

Sutter 29, trade to contender --- return 2nd round pick and good prospect under 24..

On 2/6/2019 at 6:32 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Ummm....isn't this speculation kind of laughable?  The Canucks said they won't trade picks and they won't trade good prospects.

So what is left to trade for those players? 2nd rate current players or lower tier prospects?

Speculative click bait crap imo.  I liked Maroon when he was in Edmonton but didn't he move east to be near his family? He would be ok with Petey feeding him pucks and he could protect Petey a bit. And he wouldn't cost much but not sure he would want to come west.

Basically what they're doing is speculating their opinion on who they think would be a good fit here, but because TSN has built themselves to be one of the top sports broadcasters to Canadians this is how rumors start as well.

Do I agree with them not really at all, because these are all UFAs and the Canucks are definitely not favorites to win a cup yet so no point in trading away assets to acquire rental players, and none of these 3 players if acquired would suddenly make the Canucks a favorite to win a cup. I wouldn't be trading away really anything for them yet maybe a couple years down the road these type of acquisition would make more sense to help the Canucks add more depth for a deeper playoff run.

Oh and yes it is laughable :gocan:

If the Canucks are serious about competing in the post-season, and were looking to add a forward (maybe they need a D more?) I think what they should be looking to add is not a winger, but a center.

Another center does two things - it buffers them against injuries - if they lose a Sutter/Beagle or EP, as we've seen - it's curtains.

It also enables them to load up a line with EP, Horvat and Boeser - particularly in circumstances where they trail or really need a goal.

Centers are easy winger conversions if necessary - one more center in the lineup would absolutely not be a problem = it could alse make them stronger in the faceoff circle / able to avoid EP in dzone starts/faceoffs.

Don't see the point at all in adding a winger - and certainly not one that isn't an upgrade over the wingers currently in the bottom six.

But want to seriously compete in the shorter run - spend what it takes to add another center that will be part of the group moving forward.   It would also keep a young guy like Gaudette from having to prematurely play center at the NHL level (could ease in on the wing).

Not sure I am super on board with any of them. Nyquist is a playmaking winger from the looks of it and is having a really solid year offensively. Cost might be more than we should be willing to give up. Silfverberg is a solid middle 6 guy, probably wouldn't have trouble gelling with Petey or Bo. UFA this summer though. Why give up assets during a season that could very well end in us missing the playoffs? I don't think anyone needs to be told why we should stay away from Maroon.

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

If the Canucks are serious about competing in the post-season, and were looking to add a forward (maybe they need a D more?) I think what they should be looking to add is not a winger, but a center.

Another center does two things - it buffers them against injuries - if they lose a Sutter/Beagle or EP, as we've seen - it's curtains.

It also enables them to load up a line with EP, Horvat and Boeser - particularly in circumstances where they trail or really need a goal.

Centers are easy winger conversions if necessary - one more center in the lineup would absolutely not be a problem = it could alse make them stronger in the faceoff circle / able to avoid EP in dzone starts/faceoffs.

Don't see the point at all in adding a winger - and certainly not one that isn't an upgrade over the wingers currently in the bottom six.

But want to seriously compete in the shorter run - spend what it takes to add another center that will be part of the group moving forward.   It would also keep a young guy like Gaudette from having to prematurely play center at the NHL level (could ease in on the wing).

The only real good winger producing in the top six is Boeser. Just look at the goals scored by wingers on the Canucks roster:

- Goldobin : 6

- Eriksson:  9

- Baertschi: 8

- Leivo :      6

- Virtanen: 12

Given the number of games played by above mentioned wingers their production can only be described as not good enough.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The only real good winger producing in the top six is Boeser. Just look at the goals scored by wingers on the Canucks roster:

- Goldobin : 6

- Eriksson:  9

- Baertschi: 8

- Leivo :      6

- Virtanen: 12

Given the number of games played by above mentioned wingers their production can only be described as not good enough.

misleading cherry pick

Baertschi  has done that in 22 games. Leivo in 23 - Goldobin is more of a playmaker who's been snakebitten by posts when he does shoot - and LE and Virtuzzi have primarily been shutdown wingers.

I guess you missed the point in general though - that a center makes more sense for numerous reasons, not the least of which would be the ability to utilize Pettersson in more advantageous situations - and the necessary depth at that position if this team is serious in the shorter run.

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

Benning was asked whether Gaudette could play wing by Brough of the Athletic (paywall):  “He’s never played the wing,” said Benning. “Growing up, he always played centre. In the USHL, through college, he’s always played centre, and we like him in the middle.”

No thank you to old farts. Any of these guys would be too expensive and reminiscent of the Eriksson signing. They'll all want money and term. We're in no position to be signing big name old goats at the moment, anyway. These are the guys you plug into a 2nd/3rd line role when you're making a serious Cup run. Whether it's in free agency or especially in a trade, I say a hard no. If anything, we need more prospects and picks, not guys who will be dead salary weight by the time we're contenders. They might help us make the playoffs at best, but I've had enough of mediocrity. I'd rather have another dud of a season if we can win the big one in 3-5 years. I've been a fan since '91, so I'm willing to wait a bit if it means we get the ultimate results in my lifetime. We need to get rid of our Eriksson, not bring in more of him.

57 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

I like the Jenner idea too.... His age fits with thia group. Wonder what it would take? Grandlund? Plus a fringe prospect.... 

Sutter (maybe with $1m'ish retention) plus Goldobin... Something around there? (Maybe we get a 4th/5th or something coming back with that?)

1 hour ago, Vanisleryan said:

I like the Jenner idea too.... His age fits with thia group. Wonder what it would take? Grandlund? Plus a fringe prospect.... 

I love Granlund but I think you'd need to offer a more significant principal.

They may have comparable production and underlying numbers - but Jenner brings a lot more physicality and is a solid faceoff guy / more versatile.

I also think it'd be ideal to add another center to the mix to play with Pettersson - one that can win draws, go to the hard areas, be physical and create space - and provide solid defensive support.......without having to peel Sutter out of the lineup.    Jenner is an ideal target in those senses - and I think he'd really enhance/nearly complete the forward group - but the idea of adding is not to 'replace' Sutter imo. 

The problem is that the CBJ are right in a position like Vancouver - on the cusp - and that franchise probably/might really need playoff revenue?   So I have to wonder if it'd be possible to acquire him without it being a 'hockey trade' - ie one that keeps the CBJ as competitive as they presently are (which would probably spell Sutter).  If you can somehow make that move with a guy like DiPietro though - plus a Goldy or whomever - maybe a pick - then that's something I might push for, particularly with the CBJ potentially losing Bob. 

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I love Granlund but I think you'd need to offer a more significant principal.

They may have comparable production and underlying numbers - but Jenner brings a lot more physicality and is a solid faceoff guy / more versatile.

I also think it'd be ideal to add another center to the mix to play with Pettersson - one that can win draws, go to the hard areas, be physical and create space - and provide solid defensive support.......without having to peel Sutter out of the lineup.    Jenner is an ideal target in those senses - and I think he'd really enhance/nearly complete the forward group - but the idea of adding is not to 'replace' Sutter imo. 

The problem is that the CBJ are right in a position like Vancouver - on the cusp - and that franchise probably/might really need playoff revenue?   So I have to wonder if it'd be possible to acquire him without it being a 'hockey trade' - ie one that keeps the CBJ as competitive as they presently are (which would probably spell Sutter).  If you can somehow make that move with a guy like DiPietro though - plus a Goldy or whomever - maybe a pick - then that's something I might push for, particularly with the CBJ potentially losing Bob. 

Did you just describe Bo Horvat?

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Do you want one - or two - scoring lines?

EP centers a scoring line, and Horvat also centers a scoring line. They are the top 2 point producers on the team, and they are both centers who play on different lines.

Ya know what the Canucks dont have? 1 single winger, aside from Boeser, who has more than 25 points.

Gimme some wingers who can score please. Nyquist or Silfverberg 

Archived