The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Feb. 07, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I was thinking the same thing. Horvat and Virtanent play OT together, and they play quite well together. Now that I think of it, I recall many games where JV starts with Sutter and then ends up playing numerous shifts or finishing games with BoHo anyways. Why not just... I don't know... keep them together? lol

I'd put JV with EP, personally.  I think his style fits EP better than Boes and I think Boes plays a better game on Bo's wing. 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

OK you hockeynut. I want the prospects rotated thru the roster like you do. I do not think management plays favorites. There is a lot of built up anticipation within the Canuck fan base. A lot of years without a sniff of success or even hope of success. IMHO when Linden and Benning started out they were faced with org deficiencies, not just in talent but also culture. Fans take pleasure in being suspicious of ownership motives etc. Fact is this is the best ownership the club has ever had. They have spent to the max and have in fact taken direction from their management. My attitude on this might change if they do something stupid towards making the playoffs. 

My attitude towards Benning and Green is that they have a long term plan towards serious playoff contention. Making playoffs this year is in my opinion a 'feel good' exercise as this group is not close to being ready. This season was all about development and evaluation. We want to see the prospects and as soon as the TDL is done I suspect that happens. Why not already? I have to have confidence in management's judgement and conviction for their plan. Slow and methodical development. We all know the obvious deductions from the current roster. Pouliot is still here because there is no real reason why not. We now know what Hutton is and to a degree Stecher. We are seeing a budding star in Virtanen. These are development home runs IMO. Mott has pushed Granlund to the side. Gaudette has had a solid rookie season. 

IMHO the Utica Comets having a long Calder playoff run is far more important than the Canucks making playoffs. Having 4 - 5 Utica players come thru the Canuck roster in March would have a positive impact towards that goal. Management has put a veteran tender and d-man into Utica to help. I am hoping Hughes ends up in Utica to close the season. I would also suggest that Joulevi's injury threw a wrench into the orgs plans this year. He was the only d-man who stood to bump Pouliot off the ice this year. He would have seen ice by X-Mass if he had not been injured.  

Hi Boudrais

I do not see where our thoughts are that different. I do however think that the platooning should have happened starting in November, if not for shorter periods of time, this as you have said have immense value for young developing players. 

I will disagree with you that Juolevi was the only Utica defenseman who could have Pouliot sit for a game or 2. McEneny coming off injury, Sautner who had already come up and had shown well, as well as Juolevi, could have all been brought before now. For that matter...and I love Biega…..he could also have sat, so that Chatfield could have a game or 2.

These men need to be tested, as they are all coming off the ELC's or have already come off their ELC...injury time is the only time those players can be brought up and not have to clear waivers on the way back down.

The fact that we are now in a playoff race with absolutely no margin of error, only magnifies that point, and as we all know, injuries can not be fore-casted, so use your opportunities wisely....

That is my point

52 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But who? Gaudette got his minutes, he did OK but he also showed he needed more minutes than he could get up here. Other than that, I'm not sure anyone else is really ready yet. Maybe MacEwen but I don't know for sure. 

MacEwen is more than ready to play a heavy bottom 6 game.  He has better hands than Schaller.  He is way more tenacious on the puck than Granlund.  He hits more than Sutter.  He will get a serious look this fall, or if we have more injuries.  The fans will love him here.  Instant fan favorite kind of game.

I just saw an article on SN.  And MacEwen has a game that reminds me of Darcy Tucker.  He will fight if he has to.  But he can also play.  Gary Roberts also comes to mind.  Not saying Zack is good as either, yet, but that's his style.  First thing I noticed when seeing him live, was the tenaciousness, on every play.  He is relentless.  Next thing I noticed, was that aggressive foot fall sound some guys have.  You know he is coming, sounds like a freight train.

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But who? Gaudette got his minutes, he did OK but he also showed he needed more minutes than he could get up here. Other than that, I'm not sure anyone else is really ready yet. Maybe MacEwen but I don't know for sure. 

Hi again Jimmy

I agree the list is short, but another couple games for Gaudette, McEwen, possibly Jasek and lind to a lesser extent.....this should be routine, even if it is just for a couple of practices on the road...…..have Lind see how far Viratnen has come, let him see how the veterans are now in game shape mid-season, just so when they come up for a real stint, they are so overwhelmed...……...so they have a yard stick

I did respond to Boudrias on this subject as well....

22 minutes ago, xereau said:

MacEwen is more than ready to play a heavy bottom 6 game.  He has better hands than Schaller.  He is way more tenacious on the puck than Granlund.  He hits more than Sutter.  He will get a serious look this fall, or if we have more injuries.  The fans will love him here.  Instant fan favorite kind of game.

I just saw an article on SN.  And MacEwen has a game that reminds me of Darcy Tucker.  He will fight if he has to.  But he can also play.  Gary Roberts also comes to mind.  Not saying Zack is good as either, yet, but that's his style.  First thing I noticed when seeing him live, was the tenaciousness, on every play.  He is relentless.  Next thing I noticed, was that aggressive foot fall sound some guys have.  You know he is coming, sounds like a freight train.

Sounds like a bigger version of Motte with maybe a little more of a scoring touch? That sounds good to me! Would really make Van hard to play against, would like to see him with Beagle and maybe he could be a good fit with Horvat at some point? How is his skating? 

2 hours ago, therodigy said:

Great analysis. I love posts like these. 

I agree about Goldy. He's been playing pretty well since his healthy scratches, and it's pretty clear that he's one of our only pure skill wingers. 

I'm not going to pin all of the blame on Benning for the Schaller signing. With free agency, it's always going to be a gamble. Roussel and Beagle have panned out. Schaller hasn't. With that said, I'm very much on the fence with Schaller's usage. On one hand, I like him as the constant 13th-14th forward so then we don't end up having Gaunce or Dahlen sitting out waiting for a chance to play; would much rather those two continue to rack them up in the AHL. Flip side of the coin is what's the point in having a player waiting in the pressbox if they're only going to be on the ice for 5 minutes in a game? Not saying that Schaller deserves more time, but rather an indication of coaching's lack of faith in giving him trustworthy minutes. I'd almost rather have Gagner in his stead. At least he can produce some points (Emphasis on some), a powerplay option that ISN'T Sutter, which may not be a bad plan at this point. That said, if Gagner is going to stay buried, trade him. 6th or 7th rounder, future considerations, Callahan and a pick... something. 

I've actually liked Granny at points this year. Wasn't a fan of his bumbling of the puck/failed clear that lead to Chicago's 3rd goal, though. Frustrating because it's not the first time it's happened. I think he could be a good trade candidate for a mid to low pick (Anywhere in the 3rd to 5th round) as he can play all the forward positions, and he's a cost controlled RFA. Something to think about so they can bring up MacEwan or Gaunce, who're both playing very well in Utica.

I like your Pouliot/Boucher comparison. Like Pouliot, Boucher had been frustrating to watch in the past year or so at the NHL level, and yet is an AHL All-Star. Pouliot has glimmers of awesomeness (A couple of really awesome stretch passes that have lead to goals, and a deceptively powerful slapper if he ever gets it off) but he's prone to panicking in his own zone, especially behind the net. It's safe to say he doesn't get qualified at season's end, provided management get an extension done for Edler and sign Hughes to his ELC. Considering what was given up in the trade (Pedan + 4th), I'd call it a successful deal, even if the painful moments outshine the brilliance. 

Personally, I don't feel Gaudette is quite ready for full-time 3C time with the Canucks, but he's close. I'd like him to keep excelling in Utica (If I'm not mistaken, he's maintaining a point per game pace), where he's getting plenty of ice time. I'm definitely on board with full-time 3rd line minutes next season in order to either move Sutter to the wing (I still think Sutter has more to offer) or, depending roster issues, move him in the off-season for picks/prospects (maybe a 2nd/3rd and/or RHD prospect). A 3rd line of Leivo-Gaudette-MacEwan/Sutter has the potential to be scary, though it puts three right-handed forwards on the same line. Maybe switch Leivo out with Baertschi (pending injury status), Roussel (For extra grit), or Erikkson (Defensive responsibility).

Dahlen is good in Utica for now. I think next year we see Dahlen get an opportunity in training camp to reestablish chemistry with Pettersson, though I wouldn't be mad if he stays in the AHL for another year with period call-ups to cover inevitable injuries on the left side.

Jasek has been a delight in Utica, though I put him in the same boat as Dahlen. Let him develop with top 9 time and use him as a call-up option for the bottom 6. Further testament to how well JB did in the 2015 draft. Plus he's got a great name. Always a plus in this community.

I'm with the small group of people who don't view Erikkson as an anchor, per say, but I definitely agree that his signing has proven underwhelming. His contract isn't crippling like Lucic (yet) and he still has a lot to offer in a top 9/bottom 6 role, though I don't think he will EVER live up to it. Will be interesting to see what happens to him and his contract over the next few years. We're not really going to be cap strapped until the 2021-2022 season, but he is taking up a roster spot for an upcoming prospect like MacEwan/Jasek/Dahlen. On one hand, it would be nice to see him scratched once in a while when he's cold to get him back into the game. With that said, the day he's scratched will be the day CDC demands is immediate trade for the ever so popular bag of pucks.

With respect to Gudbranson, I'd like to see him in a playoff series before I completely right him off. He's not being put in a position to succeed right now (Playing with Tanev) but that doesn't excuse his mediocre to poor play over the past couple of months. I was briefly chatting with someone about Guddy (Can't remember his handle) but he needs the right partner. So far, Hutton and Pouliot haven't worked. Clearly Tanev has been a disaster with him. Edler works if it's predominantly in a shutdown role, but that brings Edler down more than brings Guddy up. So who do you put? Hughes? Brisebois? Sautner? Hopefully we find out before the end of the season. With the lack of RHD depth in our system (Chatfield) our options are pretty much non-existant for this season. This will make free agency interesting with Karlsson, Stralman, and Myers potentially available. Fingers crossed management doesn't mess up and give out a Garrison-esque type contract (Unless it's Karlsson. It's hard to find a number that will irk the fanbase).

This has been an adventurous season to say the least. Infused some young blood into fold while getting some vets in support roles. Some players are panning out, others have been disastrous, and there are a couple of question marks. This is also the first season without the Sedins, and most people wrote the Canucks off as a lottery team due to lack of scoring. Obviously, there's still time for the Canucks to plummet in the standings, and there are still some decisions being made by coaching/management that confuse me (3rd string goaltending as an example). I was listening to the Sportsnet Podcast with Auld and Co, and special guest Brendan Morrison dove in to the leadership transition between the Messier era and the WCE era. At the end of the day, there's a shift in process, method, mentality, and identity, and I think we're really going to notice the big changes that everyone is looking for within the next season or so. I have cautious optimism that this will be an era to remember, and we WILL see the kids contribute on a regular basis when the time is right. Playoffs or not, I'm proud of the boys this season.

Great post, thanks.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

OK you hockeynut. I want the prospects rotated thru the roster like you do. I do not think management plays favorites. There is a lot of built up anticipation within the Canuck fan base. A lot of years without a sniff of success or even hope of success. IMHO when Linden and Benning started out they were faced with org deficiencies, not just in talent but also culture. Fans take pleasure in being suspicious of ownership motives etc. Fact is this is the best ownership the club has ever had. They have spent to the max and have in fact taken direction from their management. My attitude on this might change if they do something stupid towards making the playoffs. 

My attitude towards Benning and Green is that they have a long term plan towards serious playoff contention. Making playoffs this year is in my opinion a 'feel good' exercise as this group is not close to being ready. This season was all about development and evaluation. We want to see the prospects and as soon as the TDL is done I suspect that happens. Why not already? I have to have confidence in management's judgement and conviction for their plan. Slow and methodical development. We all know the obvious deductions from the current roster. Pouliot is still here because there is no real reason why not. We now know what Hutton is and to a degree Stecher. We are seeing a budding star in Virtanen. These are development home runs IMO. Mott has pushed Granlund to the side. Gaudette has had a solid rookie season. 

IMHO the Utica Comets having a long Calder playoff run is far more important than the Canucks making playoffs. Having 4 - 5 Utica players come thru the Canuck roster in March would have a positive impact towards that goal. Management has put a veteran tender and d-man into Utica to help. I am hoping Hughes ends up in Utica to close the season. I would also suggest that Joulevi's injury threw a wrench into the orgs plans this year. He was the only d-man who stood to bump Pouliot off the ice this year. He would have seen ice by X-Mass if he had not been injured.  

Another good read here.

These PGT's need a dozen pages to separate the wheat from the chaff!

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

31:18 TOI

Next closest was Stetcher with 22:49

Tanev had under 21 mins. 

5 SOG 2 blocks 1 assist.

Had a hell of a game. 

Every player makes mistakes every game.

You can say what you did about every player in the ice. No player is perfect. Besides from a goalie getting a shutout no skater ever had a perfect game where they didn't lose a puck or didn't make a perfect pass or didn't throw it into a corner where an opposing player is.  

Such is hockey. 

Also bullish on BH, as of late. Kid has turned into a solid top-4. The duo with TS is beauty, eh?

56 minutes ago, xereau said:

About 3 yrs ago, I ordered 2 or 3 of these, & got every excuse(shipping, manufacturing, design-flaws..U name it, Mildred!) that one could imagine.

Feel like a kid before Christmas...

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Not going to happen unless Demko is in net for the Comets.  Chances might improve if Gagner was playing for the Comets instead of the Marlies.

2 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

We probably wouldn't be talking about all these defensive faults if our forwards could bury at least one of their opportunities a game.  Every game on this trip could have been won had our players scored when they had clear cut opportunities, including the penalty shot miss by Horvat and Petey's break away last night.  I know that players don't score on every opportunity but with any luck these games would have had different results.  Could just be the lack of confidence or the Canuck's bad luck to which the officials contribute.  

If you’re not scoring, you’re getting scored on

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not going to happen unless Demko is in net for the Comets.  Chances might improve if Gagner was playing for the Comets instead of the Marlies.

I don’t think he can play for the Comets. There’s a rule about contracts and age or something in the A. Can only have so many NHL contracts or something 

1 hour ago, beni said:

Sounds like a bigger version of Motte with maybe a little more of a scoring touch? That sounds good to me! Would really make Van hard to play against, would like to see him with Beagle and maybe he could be a good fit with Horvat at some point? How is his skating? 

He's quick.  Doesn't labor in strides like lot of big guys, with those big chicken head strides like say.. Kassian.  He looks like Shawn Matthias a bit in his skating.

I'm just glad Biega is back in the lineup. Now we need to get Pouliot out and Gydbranson remembers that he has neck muscles which control where he can aim his head in search of open men he can cover. Last 3 games he's been awful with the puck watching. Absolutely horrendous. 

So many missed chances on great scoring opportunities. Virtanen is gripping the stick hard and the rest of our bottom six haven't shown up offensively for a while. Too reliant on Petey and Boes. 

Markstrom has been amazing though! Another good game from him. Just wish we could score as opposed to hitting the post every single game. 

12 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I don’t think he can play for the Comets. There’s a rule about contracts and age or something in the A. Can only have so many NHL contracts or something 

Don't think that was excuse given (ie., let Gagner be 'closer to his family' so they loaned him to the Marlies).

54 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Canucks with 17 hits last night Biega with 5 of those hits.

He is becoming my favorite Canuck. He does everything right and he goes110% every shift. He's a great skater with a pretty good shot that GETS TO THE NET! AND..... like you said, he hits. What a concept.

Too bad he didn't play more though, I guess one day he will be as good as our other NHL regulars.:lol:

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd put JV with EP, personally.  I think his style fits EP better than Boes and I think Boes plays a better game on Bo's wing. 

Maybe.  But Boeser wasn’t playing like he did last year and putting up points until he moved around.  Horvat doesn’t use his wingers enough and tries to do it all on his own...partially because of who he’s playing with, but also it’s his bull-dog style.   Pettersson is skilled and he should have the best we have to play with him, at this point at least it’s Boeser 

32 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

He is becoming my favorite Canuck. He does everything right and he goes110% every shift. He's a great skater with a pretty good shot that GETS TO THE NET! AND..... like you said, he hits. What a concept.

Too bad he didn't play more though, I guess one day he will be as good as our other NHL regulars.:lol:

The only thing with Biega is he tends to fade after a few games absolute perfect number 7/8 dman though. 

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The only thing with Biega is he tends to fade after a few games absolute perfect number 7/8 dman though. 

He can only get better,  Consistency  can go both ways. more games more experience.  

BUT the counter of that is Edler... look at the years he has been here.  No improvement. <_<

Archived