The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Feb. 07, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

We got 2 wicked shooters on each wall on the pp and they don’t get any free space to unload their shots. I think the other team doesn’t respect our pp qb and they just concentrate on covering ep and boeser knowing there is little threat from the point. 

Imagine having a cannon on the point or a dynamic guy that is unpredictable and thinks and passes as fast as lightning. Bb and ep would get 10 more points a year on the pp. 

Not a bad game overall. Missed the 1st but nice comeback in the 2nd, bad coverage on the 3rd goal, Petey with the one-timer to bring it to OT... hell of a play by Marky to send EP on the break. At least we got a point to stay in the race, even though STL jumped ahead in the standings.

Other observations:

- Bo's confidence looks shaky. He needs a goal and a reliable winger. Feel like he's trying to do everything himself.

- it's time to get Brisebois in. Not a fan of the Tanev/Gudbranson pairing. Not sure if just an off night or a terrible pairing.

- Speaking of Tanev... why was he out so often in OT? I would've tried Biega.

Tanev's been eating a &^@# ton of minutes, and even before Edler went down.

Recently, he's probably had 80mins of ice time in the last 3 games, over 4 days, on the road.

Hutton too.

Was an entertaining game for sure. The boys had a lot of chances and continued their solid play of late. Sucks about the points though..

Speaking of sucks - our power play. Holy sucks. Mother&^@#er. 

Maybe someone on twitter can reach out to Vanek and get him to draw something up for Brown.

Boeser was hungry tonight. Really liked his game.

Leivo should've gotten a star.

59 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Tanev was a beast all game. Not sure what game you watched. We have to ride him because we have Poo on our team 

not Tanev’s fault we rode him like a mule 

Hey coach I'm tired put Stech in please....

See not that hard. But nah he looked weak out there.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Be careful. He’s apparently an elite top 5 shutdown d-man in the league. Another overrated player by CDC. Haven’t seen anything from him all year to even suggest he’s elite at anything. But oh well. I got flamed for saying he was overrated, expect much of the same here.

Tanev is good on the other end of the ice.  watched him get ragdolled out of the slot or way out on the right side hanging marky to dry.  never liked him on the blue line and never will

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Just Chiapet and Oilers fans. Hahaha!

Understandable mistake....considering that's the one most people refer to as a bust.

This one - playing with Kane - has pretty close production to what Schmaltz has done in Arizona (14pt in 17g) - so whether the Hawks are winning that trade is highly debatable = at least it's looking like a hockey trade to this point.   Perlini with 4 pts in 24 games (-14) isn't really tilting that deal thus far.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Lievo had his best game as a Canuck.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Hutton was a horse. Another very solid game from him. 

1 hour ago, Jam126 said:

We have to play Brisebois next game. I'm done with Pouliot fire him into the sun!

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Outplayed the Hawks for the majority of the game. Not enough finish. 

On the positive side:

1. This team is fun to watch. EP's goal at 6 on 4 to tie the game was a great sequence, starting with EP taking the puck up the ice by himself. And Stecher made a nice pass to EP for the one-timer. And then EP almost ended the game on the breakaway in OT.

2. For the third time in three nights the Canucks came up with a gutsy performance and deserved to win. They started strong but were unlucky to be down 2 at the end of the first., But they came back strong and were the better team from then on. At least they got one point tonight.

3. Another thing I really like seeing is the growth of Hutton and Stecher. Hutton had over 30 minutes tonight and played well all game. I think both those guys are legitimate top 4 Ds.

4. Glad to see Jake reach his career high for assists and extend his career high for points. And he looked dangerous using his speed tonight.

5.And of course Leivo had an excellent game. He was a good pickup from Toronto. I still don't really like him in the top 6 on a regular basis, but he is a good bottom 6 forward who can play in the top 6 when needed. 

6. Nice to see Biega score his first goal. He played a high energy game tonight, which is what he needs to do to be effective in the NHL. He was credited with 5 hits and he has some good chances in addition to his goal. According the Natural Stat Trick, the Canucks outchanced Chicago 9 - 2 with Biega on the ice. He did not play a lot of minutes and his minutes were somewhat protected, but he deserves to continue to play. He will wear down playing a high energy game like this, but he contributed effectively tonight.

Here are some of the concerns.

7. In a sense both Chicago's first two goals came about as the result of one play -- Sutter's penalty while on the PK. Sutter thought Gustafsson interfered with him. It appeared to be a standard pick play, which is interference, but referees rarely call marginal pick plays. Sutter slashed Gustafsson. It was pretty obvious and the refs called it. Chiago scored on the 5 on 3 and then again on the 5 on 4. The Canucks came back strong but that was a critical play. I have never been a big fan of Sutter although he has been playing well on the PK and sharing shutdown duties with Beagle. That was an undisciplined and costly play. 

8. Chicago's third goal came off a bad play by Granlund who mishandled the puck at the blueline. Murphy got the puck, passed it through Sutter to Strome, who made a nice pass to DeBrincat. Guddy got turned around and could not make a play quickly enough on DeBrincat. I am not saying that it would have been easy to stop that chance, but Granlund, Sutter, and Guddy all had opportunities. 

9. A lot of people on CDC are tough on Tanev tonight. And he not have a great game, incluiding a weak play on the OT goal. Also, his overall numbers are not as good this year and in the past.  Still, playing him on his off-side with Guddy as his partner in fairly tough minutes is not "putting him in a position to succeed". I would like to see him play on the right side with Brisebois as his partner and see how that goes. I would sit Pouliot and play Biega on his offside with Guddy as the other pairing. It might not pan out but it would be worth trying. 

10. The PP was a negative, although it finally scored the 3-3 goal with the Canuck net empty. The basic 5 on 4 PP needs to change things up in some way as other teams have gotten too good as defending against the current system.

Despite the OT loss and the negatives, it was an enjoyable game. I am not that worked up about the playoffs one way or the other. The Canucks could sneak in but the odds are against it, And they well likely pick somewhere in the teens in the draft in any case. What I like seeing is the young guys developing and the key young guys looked good again tonight.

Petey scored the goal at the end he should have scored at the beginning (on the 5 on 3). That was such a blown opportunity.

Ultimately this team has 1 good winger. It has 1 top 6 offensive winger. Its a horribly constructed team, a team of placeholders. It sucks we have this superstar center & another great center behind him yet only 1 good winger for either to play with.

Lucky to get the point, they looked tired at the end, aside from the Petey breakaway Chicago had all the chances/possession in OT. 

I'm so frustrated. I'm tired of watching this team play well & lose because we don't have enough. 41 shots and posts against Philly, should have won but lost. The questionable goal in Washington, overall a great game but lost. Then Tonight complete stupidity on the early powerplay, completely threw away a period. And ultimately lost a game we should have won again. Despite a pretty good effort from Boeser/Pettersson.

And the worst part is I have not much faith in this current management group to take this team to the next level. They've tried to cut every corner, tried to find every shortcut, they've never been willingly pro-active and its all failed. The team (until now) has basically been as bad as it would have been if they had traded off veterans & saved the picks spent on reclamation projects. Seriously, think about that.

Now we are at a point where its getting to an upswing, & we don't have enough. 1 offensive winger. I hope they bring in a president or someone above Jim Benning. He's done a marvelous job with drafting but I can't see him as the guy calling the shots when we are contending for a cup. 

/ rant

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

On the positive side:

1. This team is fun to watch. EP's goal at 6 on 4 to tie the game was a great sequence, starting with EP taking the puck up the ice by himself. And Stecher made a nice pass to EP for the one-timer. And then EP almost ended the game on the breakaway in OT.

2. For the third time in three nights the Canucks came up with a gutsy performance and deserved to win. They started strong but were unlucky to be down 2 at the end of the first., But they came back strong and were the better team from then on. At least they got one point tonight.

3. Another thing I really like seeing is the growth of Hutton and Stecher. Hutton had over 30 minutes tonight and played well all game. I think both those guys are legitimate top 4 Ds.

4. Glad to see Jake reach his career high for assists and extend his career high for points. And he looked dangerous using his speed tonight.

5.And of course Leivo had an excellent game. He was a good pickup from Toronto. I still don't really like him in the top 6 on a regular basis, but he is a good bottom 6 forward who can play in the top 6 when needed. 

6. Nice to see Biega score his first goal. He played a high energy game tonight, which is what he needs to do to be effective in the NHL. He was credited with 5 hits and he has some good chances in addition to his goal. According the Natural Stat Trick, the Canucks outchanced Chicago 9 - 2 with Biega on the ice. He did not play a lot of minutes and his minutes were somewhat protected, but he deserves to continue to play. He will wear down playing a high energy game like this, but he contributed effectively tonight.

Here are some of the concerns.

7. In a sense both Chicago's first two goals came about as the result of one play -- Sutter's penalty while on the PK. Sutter thought Gustafsson interfered with him. It appeared to be a standard pick play, which is interference, but referees rarely call marginal pick plays. Sutter slashed Gustafsson. It was pretty obvious and the refs called it. Chiago scored on the 5 on 3 and then again on the 5 on 4. The Canucks came back strong but that was a critical play. I have never been a big fan of Sutter although he has been playing well on the PK and sharing shutdown duties with Beagle. That was an undisciplined and costly play. 

8. Chicago's third goal came off a bad play by Granlund who mishandled the puck at the blueline. Murphy got the puck, passed it through Sutter to Strome, who made a nice pass to DeBrincat. Guddy got turned around and could not make a play quickly enough on DeBrincat. I am not saying that it would have been easy to stop that chance, but Granlund, Sutter, and Guddy all had opportunities. 

9. A lot of people on CDC are tough on Tanev tonight. And he not have a great game, incluiding a weak play on the OT goal. Also, his overall numbers are not as good this year and in the past.  Still, playing him on his off-side with Guddy as his partner in fairly tough minutes is not "putting him in a position to succeed". I would like to see him play on the right side with Brisebois as his partner and see how that goes. I would sit Pouliot and play Biega on his offside with Guddy as the other pairing. It might not pan out but it would be worth trying. 

10. The PP was a negative, although it finally scored the 3-3 goal with the Canuck net empty. The basic 5 on 4 PP needs to change things up in some way as other teams have gotten too good as defending against the current system.

Good summary. I agree with all of it 

29 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Team looks tired. Weird. Just had a long break. 

Lievo Biega Hutton were good rest of team looked kinda tired. 

Yes, they do. The rest was needed but 4 games in 6 nights going across North America against 4 tough teams is no easy task. We easily have the worst road schedule of any team in league. It's amazing we've stayed in the race this long. Really need to bear down and take advantage of our home games.

Archived