The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

16 minutes ago, Screw said:

QH and OJ on the back end next year.  Exciting times.

Woo coming up (eventually)

HUGHES - JUOLEVI

HUTTON - STETCHER

WOO - GUDBRANSON

(Come on guys. Let’s keep the big lug. I bet he shines in the playoffs)

3 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Michigan is only in a playoff position because their conference also sucks. They’re .500 right now but their best forward, josh Norris, is out for the year with injury and Hughes and Lockwood are the highest scorers. Maybe they make the playoffs but it’s also very possible the fall off and his season ends at the beginning of March. 

Well that's good to know. Thanks for that post. I really haven't been keeping up with college hockey much. If he signs in March though, does that mean he won't be able to play in OUR playoffs, should Vancouver make it? It's awfully close to the trade deadline.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

Why is everyone choked up over the Seattle expansion draft? 

Thats 2 years away. Start preparing for that then.

Umm, I am not sure that considering the impact of Hughes playing 9 games or 11-13 games counts as getting “choked up”.

Giving away a protected spot for effectively no return is something to think about.

22 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It depends on what Hutton brings back. This is a quality asset, which we have few of. He's taken huge steps this year to be a legit top 4 NHL defenseman. 

I don't disagree and am pretty happy with what he's done this year. But I'd rather leverage that progress into a trade for futures instead of stifling Hughes.

End of the season isn't a great time for Hughes to come in but I think he'll have an impact - more of an impact than Biega and Pouliot anyway. His game is perfectly suited to the current fast-paced NHL, and even though at the end of the season the games get tighter and less free-wheeling I think Hughes will stick. Might be a good little wild card if we make it into the playoffs:

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Hughes - Tanev

If Hughes signs with Vancouver at any point this season then he will be eligible for the expansion draft and will require protection. He is not a teenager being sent back to junior.

I'm excited to see this kid in a Canucks jersey, and just as hopeful as the next guy that Hughes develops into a great player. Key word being 'develops'.

4 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

If Hughes signs with Vancouver at any point this season then he will be eligible for the expansion draft and will require protection. He is not a teenager being sent back to junior.

I'm excited to see this kid in a Canucks jersey, and just as hopeful as the next guy that Hughes develops into a great player. Key word being 'develops'.

No he wont.

19 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I see a lot of people saying we have to protect Juolevi, but I thought you needed two years in the NHL to require protection? Clarification please?

It's two years pro, but the AHL counts as a pro league too, so two years in either of these leagues would make you eligible for the expansion draft.

1 hour ago, Maninthebox said:

Read through the thread for the very detailed answer on this.

2 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Misinformed

49 minutes ago, Provost said:

Read through the thread for the very detailed answer on this.

I've read it, and various other takes. I'm fairly certain the 20 yr old/10 games clause won't apply to this type of signing, *as it pertains to the expansion draft.

But, it's not a big deal if I'm wrong either. Chances are he'll play more than 10, particularly if they're playoff bound.

capture37.jpg

29 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

I've read it, and various other takes. I'm fairly certain the 20 yr old/10 games clause won't apply to this type of signing, *as it pertains to the expansion draft.

But, it's not a big deal if I'm wrong either. Chances are he'll play more than 10, particularly if they're playoff bound.

capture37.jpg

Here is an article that gives the information on what constitutes a year of pro hockey from last expansion.

10 games including playoffs.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/golden-knights-expansion-draft-explainer-1.4160845

I don’t know if Hughes is even eligible to play in the NHL playoffs this year if he joins us.  He can play in the AHL playoffs.

if the Canucks aren't in the running for a playoff spot, I would not play him more than 10 games...

On the other hand, in those 9 games, if he makes a difference and the Canucks are in a playoff spot, I would definitely play him.

1 hour ago, Maninthebox said:

Thanks, Provost. Pretty sure he could play, don't think he'd qualify as a cup winner!

I digress. I just want to see the kid play. The rest is irrelevant to me.

There is a rule about having to be on the team before the trade deadline to be eligible to play in the playoffs.

Not sure if there is some exemption for NCAA players signing.

This article seems to indicate a newly signed NCAA player could play in the playoffs (not directly, but you can infer from some of the points).  It is a really good summary of the pro’s and con’s of burning a year of ELC

https://businessofhockey.wordpress.com/2017/04/03/burning-the-first-year-of-a-rookies-entry-level-contract/

18 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

18 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

No he wont.

16 hours ago, cyoung said:

Misinformed

It all boils down to 'is QH 20 years old at signing' ? or not. The rules quoted by @Maninthebox show that he is 20. He turns 20 in Oct.. In the 18 and 19 year old section, you're pushed to the next year for post 15th Sept birthdays, but not for 20 year olds ( calendar year ).

Ryan Biech seems to have flip flopped on his answer and is now in the 'must play 10 games to be eligible' camp. The written word seems to contradict him !

Pretty sure that if he's not on the 50 man roster at TDL that he can't play in any post season games. If we are in a late season playoff push, I can't see him on the roster. ( why have d-pairings that cannot play or PP units that can't play post season ? )

On 2/8/2019 at 4:47 PM, Jack Fig said:

I know they aren't HOFers, but that's a pretty flippant assessment of the team's top-4.

Might be harsh, but i'm projecting 2 years in the future.  Since 2011, our defense have been our weakest link hands down...if you exclude Hughes and Juolevi, I don't see how it's better in 2 years from now, with a 35 years old Edler or a 31 years old, beat-up Tanev.

Archived