The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

On 2/11/2019 at 5:32 AM, timberz21 said:

Might be harsh, but i'm projecting 2 years in the future.  Since 2011, our defense have been our weakest link hands down...if you exclude Hughes and Juolevi, I don't see how it's better in 2 years from now, with a 35 years old Edler or a 31 years old, beat-up Tanev.

A lot can change in two years between trades and free agency. Not to mention somebody already in the system possibly breaking in before then.

59 minutes ago, Baggins said:

A lot can change in two years between trades and free agency. Not to mention somebody already in the system possibly breaking in before then.

Hughes, Juolevi, Brisebois, Rathbone, Woo... a possible Tryamkin return, UFA's, a trade...

Like it's not that hard to imagine.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, timberz21 said:

Might be harsh, but i'm projecting 2 years in the future.  Since 2011, our defense have been our weakest link hands down...if you exclude Hughes and Juolevi, I don't see how it's better in 2 years from now, with a 35 years old Edler or a 31 years old, beat-up Tanev.

If you include Hughes and Juolevi (which we own), the that defense is much better in two years.

8 hours ago, Qwags said:

I know I'm 11 pages and 5 days late, but is this really a surprise to anybody?

Unless this is just making it official.

Yeah I heard it on the team about 3 weeks ago.  They had his coach on the show and asked him if he thinks hughes will stick around for another year. He pretty much answered before the question was finished and said that there was no way Quinn was coming back. Said he has nothing to prove in the NCAA and was already nhl ready.

5 hours ago, coryberg said:

Yeah I heard it on the team about 3 weeks ago.  They had his coach on the show and asked him if he thinks hughes will stick around for another year. He pretty much answered before the question was finished and said that there was no way Quinn was coming back. Said he has nothing to prove in the NCAA and was already nhl ready.

That I'm not so sure of, he's a bit of a turnover machine and in bad places to turn pucks over.

Hughes is undoubtedly going to turn the puck over - probably lead the team in giveaways....

But when you look around the league....

Some of the guys in the top 20 in the NHL in giveaways....

Gaudreau is 2nd with 83

Ekblad 3rd

Burns 4th

Poughty is 6th

Draisaitl, Pastrnak and Barzal = all in the top 10.

Getlaf, Marchand, Letang, John Carlson, Malkin and Morgan Reilly - all in the top 20....

Pettersson leads this team with 37 and doesn't even touch the top 100....  (one irony here - Mike Matheson leads the NHL with 96 giveaways).

Gudbranson is supposed to be a 'turnover machine' = but doesn't crack the top 300....with 21 turnovers.

Pouliot - and Tanev - likewise, disappointingly struggle to crack the top 200 (32 each).

Anyhow - if Hughes turns it over a lot = maybe a blessing in disguise.

50 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hughes is undoubtedly going to turn the puck over - probably lead the team in giveaways....

But when you look around the league....

Some of the guys in the top 20 in the NHL in giveaways....

Gaudreau is 2nd with 83

Ekblad 3rd

Burns 4th

Poughty is 6th

Draisaitl, Pastrnak and Barzal = all in the top 10.

Getlaf, Marchand, Letang, John Carlson, Malkin and Morgan Reilly - all in the top 20....

Pettersson leads this team with 37 and doesn't even touch the top 100....  (one irony here - Mike Matheson leads the NHL with 96 giveaways).

Gudbranson is supposed to be a 'turnover machine' = but doesn't crack the top 300....with 21 turnovers.

Pouliot - and Tanev - likewise, disappointingly struggle to crack the top 200 (32 each).

Anyhow - if Hughes turns it over a lot = maybe a blessing in disguise.

Turnover stats.

do we really need them.

31 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I guess but as you say; if a player has the puck a lot the you can expect an “equal and opposite reaction” in stats.

the negative lies in the position and timing of the giveaway really - imo.

my concern with him would be down low in his zone... under pressure.

he didn't look great in those situations in the WJC.

this team is likely without Edler - and Sutter - (and who knows who else) possibly to end the season.  Not sure who his partner will be, but it's a M.A.S.H. thing again.

guys like Hutton and Pouliot (no, I'm not suggesting they're comparables, but) - have really struggled in similar circumstances.

could be trial by fire to end the season.

but whatever - it'll be fun in due course.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

my concern with him would be down low in his zone... under pressure.

he didn't look great in those situations in the WJC.

this team is likely without Edler - and Sutter - (and who knows who else) possibly to end the season.

guys like Hutton and Pouliot (no, I'm not suggesting they're comparables, but) - have really struggled in similar circumstances.

could be trial by fire to end the season.

but whatever - it'll be fun in due course.

Hughes should, and will, play with Guddy.  Guddy will free up pucks, and Hughes will collect them.  Hughes is a phenomenal skater and puck mover.  Other teams will hesitate, so they don’t get trapped behind him.  

Archived