The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

On the fence about this, Pettersson this year showed what being physically unprepared for this league can lead to even if you are prepared in terms of skill.

I guess management knows best though. 

How is Pettersson physically unprepared for the league? Both his injuries were freak occurrences that would have taken anyone out of the lineup.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other GM's aren't stupid either. They're not going to trade for a player only to lose them to SEA (or another good player they push down the depth chart).

look at the canucks this season

there will be another team similar to this team at expansion time

we'd gladly take a nashville dman to protect this season

and give up one of our lesser d

and allow yet another one to be exposed

i cannot tell you the details of the future

but i can tell you that now this sort of deal could easily happen

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other GM's aren't stupid either. They're not going to trade for a player only to lose them to SEA (or another good player they push down the depth chart).

but they can make moves this TDL and still have another season to worry about Seattle. Expansion won't loom large this TDL. 

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

look at the canucks this season

there will be another team similar to this team at expansion time

we'd gladly take a nashville dman to protect this season

and give up one of our lesser d

and allow yet another one to be exposed

i cannot tell you the details of the future

but i can tell you that now this sort of deal could easily happen

How'd that work out last expansion? Market was flooded with D and nobody remotely got value and many didn't bother trading at a discount.

Professional experience would be valuable for him going into a summer of training. My worry is the expansion draft or that he gets hurt. It'd be devastating if he got hurt and it impacted his summer training because I'm expecting him to be on the team next season.

I'm hoping Jim and co have a plan in place so as not to mess with his expansion draft ineligibility. Not having to protect him is huge.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Professional experience would be valuable for him going into a summer of training. My worry is the expansion draft or that he gets hurt. It'd be devastating if he got hurt and it impacted his summer training because I'm expecting him to be on the team next season.

I'm hoping Jim and co have a plan in place so as not to mess with his expansion draft ineligibility. Not having to protect him is huge.

People seem to forget that he'll be practicing against allstar nhlers. That alone is a valuable experience. So even if he doesnt play a game it still benefits him which benefits us. 

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Knowing Benning, he will get Hughes for past ten games like he did with Boeser and Gaudette but for asset management's sake I hope he beaks tradition in this case. the Canucks have a lot more to lose this time than when Las Vegas was selecting.

Umm, it didn't even matter with Boeser and Gaudette. Just playing one game burned a year off their contracts and counted as one year.

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

People seem to forget that he'll be practicing against allstar nhlers. That alone is a valuable experience. So even if he doesnt play a game it still benefits him which benefits us. 

True enough, just being around pros and getting a small glimpse into how they train, prepare, eat, interact with fans, practice, play, ect is massive.

5 hours ago, warrchief said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I though Hughes would be expansion draft exempt.

Either way, we are going to pay Seattle a lot to pick a player we want them to pick.

He's wont have enough NHL experience, 9 games does not get you enough games to be exposed. Its 72 games in your last 2(3?) seasons to play, or something close to that. I remember them playing Sbisa a ton to expose him

12 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

He's wont have enough NHL experience, 9 games does not get you enough games to be exposed. Its 72 games in your last 2(3?) seasons to play, or something close to that. I remember them playing Sbisa a ton to expose him

Sbisa was not a player they signed from college, that will make a difference.

6 hours ago, gurn said:

I don't think he has a 9 game limit, but it has been about 30 years since I was wrong,  so I'm probably due.

Sorry to disappoint, I'm pretty sure you're right. Signing the contract regardless of games played for NCAA players automatically burns a year off their ELC. I think the 9 games only counts for CHL players and allows a team to slide the ELC by one year.

I doubt Hughes will want to only play in Utica... but that being said, is it possible in any way to send him down to the AHL for a "conditioning stint" for him to get up to speed?

It will be a moot point if the Canucks makes it into the post-season, but at least it gives the team some flexibility in case the team misses the playoffs and not have to expose him to the expansion draft.  

6 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

In fact, Hughes could make his NHL debut as early as March 13th against the New York Rangers if Michigan gets eliminated in the quarterfinals of the Big 10 playoffs.

That would leave 13 games remaining in the Canucks’ season, enough time for Hughes to provide a boost to the back end for a playoff push or to provide Canucks’ fans something to look forward to for next season if they miss out on the postseason. It would also give the Canucks and Hughes a chance to evaluate his game and identify areas of focus for off-season training.

13 games is a dangerous number, however, thanks to the looming spectre of the Seattle expansion draft in 2021.

If Hughes plays more than 10 games this season, it will count as a professional year played for the purposes of the expansion draft, according to The Athletic’s CBA guru Ryan Biech. That would mean one more spot taken up on the protected list and one more player left exposed.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jim-benning-isn-t-worried-about-the-expansion-draft-when-it-comes-to-quinn-hughes-1.23620775

If Quinn Hughes is any way the player we think he is, he's going to have a good playoffs and not just mail it in to run to the NHL. I wouldn't be worried about him in the slightest. Him playing 10 games won't even be an option likely.

2 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

If Quinn Hughes is any way the player we think he is, he's going to have a good playoffs and not just mail it in to run to the NHL. I wouldn't be worried about him in the slightest. Him playing 10 games won't even be an option likely.

Michigan sucks though. Hughes is by far their best player. Very possible his season ends asapASAP

Archived