The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

Based on the research I've done:

- 1 game to burn first year of ELC (Tryamkin in 2015, Boeser in 2016)

- 10 games to count as 1 year pro as it relates to Seattle Expansion.

Asset management demands aside, if Hughes needs to be protected in expansion for whatever reason, who are we really worried about losing, or rather, who's still gonna be on the roster worth protecting?

When his season is over the option is to play hockey professionally or do nothing and train for camp next year.  We know he is going to be a pro next year so why make him sit around.

Sign him.  Get him practicing with the team and put him in if he earns it.  I can think of a couple defencemen I am not worried about losing on waivers.

Maybe he can go play in the AHL playoffs if Canucks don't make playoffs. 

If the problem is we have too many players to protect that is a good problem to have.  Just have to make sure that Edler doesn't get NMC that year as he won't likely get picked up in draft.

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

When his season is over the option is to play hockey professionally or do nothing and train for camp next year.  We know he is going to be a pro next year so why make him sit around.

Sign him.  Get him practicing with the team and put him in if he earns it.  I can think of a couple defencemen I am not worried about losing on waivers.

Maybe he can go play in the AHL playoffs if Canucks don't make playoffs. 

If the problem is we have too many players to protect that is a good problem to have.  Just have to make sure that Edler doesn't get NMC that year as he won't likely get picked up in draft.

Question for the doctor.  Can Wuinn sing and play with the Canucks, then (after our season is over) be assigned to play with Utica for their playoffs?  Or, is it either us or Utica, but not both?  

And my fur is falling out under my left arm.  What’s with that?  

27 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Asset management demands aside, if Hughes needs to be protected in expansion for whatever reason, who are we really worried about losing, or rather, who's still gonna be on the roster worth protecting?

Stecher, Hutton, Gudbranson Juolevi, Brisebois, Tryamkin

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Question for the doctor.  Can Wuinn sing and play with the Canucks, then (after our season is over) be assigned to play with Utica for their playoffs?  Or, is it either us or Utica, but not both?  

And my fur is falling out under my left arm.  What’s with that?  

He would have to be papered down at one point if he is out early in the ncaa tourney to be eligible for the ahl playoffs. It really depends alf. It will depend on when quinn signs and what the canucks deem appropriate for development. The canucks might think the nhl games he will play and working with team usa at the world championships might be better for his overall development then sending him down to utica at the end of the year.

It would be dumb to play him more than 9 games when he will have at most 13 games after his college season is done.

You literally wait a week to get him in the lineup and you get the benefit of an extra expansion slot in the hardest position to fill.

We hae no idea who we will have on the team by then, so saying it isn’t important is just ignorance.

That extra D spot could also mean being able to pick someone up for relatively cheap that another team didn’t want to lose for free brigade they couldn’t protect the guy.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

It would be dumb to play him more than 9 games when he will have at most 13 games after his college season is done.

You literally wait a week to get him in the lineup and you get the benefit of an extra expansion slot in the hardest position to fill.

We hae no idea who we will have on the team by then, so saying it isn’t important is just ignorance.

That extra D spot could also mean being able to pick someone up for relatively cheap that another team didn’t want to lose for free brigade they couldn’t protect the guy.

True & it's dumb to sign him at all before the year is done even though my first reaction is being excited to see him. 

He will need a new contract the same year as Petty instead of a year later.  That could be the difference of Hughes making 1 million and Hughes making 7 million, if we used that 6 million to sign an ageing but still great player to a 8 million deal instead of another player a 2 million I'm sure that player would make a huge difference that year. 

8 minutes ago, brian42 said:

True & it's dumb to sign him at all before the year is done even though my first reaction is being excited to see him. 

He will need a new contract the same year as Petty instead of a year later.  That could be the difference of Hughes making 1 million and Hughes making 7 million, if we used that 6 million to sign an ageing but still great player to a 8 million deal instead of another player a 2 million I'm sure that player would make a huge difference that year. 

There is a lot more grey area to burning a year of ELC.

If the guy turns out to be a crazy star in his first two years then you end up paying a year sooner.

Much more often, a player just has one less year to develop and become a difference maker, meaning they have to negotiate a new contract with less of a resume than they would after three full years.  You can actually

save money.  Think of signing Hoevat after his tough sophomore year.

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

If the guy turns out to be a crazy star in his first two years then you end up paying a year sooner.

Much more often, a player just has one less year to develop and become a difference maker, meaning they have to negotiate a new contract with less of a resume than they would after three full years.  You can actually

That's true i guess my Hughes expectations are high

10 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Bring on March 3rd! 

Even with the growing pains that will accompany the jump to the NHL, I still think Hughes will be a better option on the back end than Pouliot. 

A pilon and a bag of pucks on some nights would have more confidence then Pouliot.

Players sometimes sign their contracts with the mandate that they play the remaining games. They get their money sooner the larger contracts means millions! So that's what is going to happen. It is asset management, to sign assets!

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

I was saying this last year when people started talking about resigning brock early. Just think of signing Boeser after an extra year of playing with Petey. If both stay healthy You might be signing a 45-50 goal scorer instead of a 30-35 goal scorer. 

Signing our top end guys like brock and Quinn early will most likely really help in the long run. If we were looking like Toronto right now with a good shot to really win, then we’d want them on elc’s as long as possible. We have a couple years of growth and development though, so let’s get em on their 2nd contracts now before they really start dominating.

That being said, any college guys taken after Hughes we might want to take the other approach. By the time they’re ready, our window should be starting to open and that’s when we’ll want as many good players making less than a million we can get.

14 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Players sometimes sign their contracts with the mandate that they play the remaining games. They get their money sooner the larger contracts means millions! So that's what is going to happen. It is asset management, to sign assets!

Yeah but all 13 would be shooting ourselves in the foot big time. Quinn is from a family with hockey truly in their blood. I’m sure when you lay out the fact his team will have a better chance at a Stanley cup if they get to protect one more defensman, then practicing with the team and watching 3 games(still playing 10) will sound like a pretty good idea.

1 minute ago, thad said:

Yeah but all 13 would be shooting ourselves in the foot big time. Quinn is from a family with hockey truly in their blood. I’m sure when you lay out the fact his team will have a better chance at a Stanley cup if they get to protect one more defensman, then practicing with the team and watching 3 games(still playing 10) will sound like a pretty good idea.

Yeh and the fact his being nice would only cost him 5 or 6 million dollars. Reality check!

Archived