JustNazzy

Aucoin spills the beans about ex-Canucks teammates. Best Interview ever

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

I'll never forget he and Mike Keenan parading around like a bunch of dinks while they counted their money and did sweet F all on the ice. Messier, the lazy ass floater, can kiss my ass.

He's another story involving the other equally "lovable" Mike Keenan (at least how I remember it which might actually match reality :P but what I recall reading about in the Vancouver Sun)....

This involves Matt Cooke....

It was Matt Cooke's first training camp with the Canucks.  He was pretty nervious being his first NHL camp and heard about Mike Keenan.  One by one, the rookies would get torn a strip and/or called to his office for additional berating.  Yet, each day, Keenan wouldn't say a single word to Cooke!  As camp rolled on, rookies/other players destined for the farm club would get cut but Cooke was perplexed why Keenan left him alone.  More players get cut, demoted but there was Cooke still there (and still not a single conversation took place between Iron Mike and Cooke).  Then when the final cuts came, Cooke had found he made the team  (though I don't think he made it to the opening day roster, still ended up with the Canucks most of the season.  

Keenan must have looked into Cooke's eyes and saw the #@%R@$ he would eventually become (he was basically only an agitator as a Canucks...didn't really start going for headshots and/or other cheap stuff until after he left the team) and Keenan thought, he could be my son!:P

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

I was always kind of Agnostic when it came to Mogilny, now I love him.

Feel about the same about Messier.  Didn't like him then, don't like him now.

There were definitely some shady things going on around Bure.  Not sure how much was his fault.  If it was bad here imagine what it would have been like in Miami.

You know I wonder how much of Gretzky's dominance was just that he was always playing against guys that were out getting drunk every night.  Obviously not all but definitely at least a little.

30 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Too much bad boy(accented) 'bro' talk, from this pov. So these guys like bouncing/shooting/passing balls, pucks, & found it hard to stay awake in school...

All these anecdotes provide PROOF that we(unwashed masses) pay 80-90% too much f***ing $, so privileged, talented(in some physical manner) & unbearably cocky youth can run around, banging supermodels, drinking like fish, & acting like animals.

I'm really glad I decided to walk away(almost completely, save for ice hockey) from pro sports hero worship. It's an overhyped ruse, with a diff set of rules, for a select group of individuals.

Neat. Thanks for sharing.

Great stuff. I enjoy the Clark Gillies interviews with all the insights of an NHL'er on and off the ice, some hilarious stuff in this series on YouTube.

• Hydration 2

I loved the story about the "video" they watched. Basically reminded me of being a kid and putting a Rock 'em Sock 'em video on before we headed to our game. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I guess it's true that Mogilny and Pavel weren't buddies off the ice.  That Pavel may have been rubbing shoulders with the mob might be true.  I remember Mogilny specifically mentioned that he knew how it worked, but that he wasn't a part of that circle unlike Bure.  

After reading it, my appreciation for #89 has gone up further.  

When we got Mogilny I thought that’s it, we are going to win a cup.  Two of the best goal scorers in the league that can do it on their own without a top center dishing to them.  Then Bures knees gave out, labour disputes and Messier and BOOM an atom bomb dropped into the dressing room.   

This is was a fun read.  When Aucion first came in he was very prone to mistakes but he really turned into a solid player, a little like cross between Chris Phillips and Seabrook, and has a good career. 

Bure and his bodyguard is a weird story, liked the Tikannen story, and by far my favourite part is Keenan trying to dress down Mogilny.  He should be in the hall with his old line mates Federov  and Bure, and no surprise Aucion felt he was the better player (when in Vancouver), he played a more rounded and defensively responsible game for us.   Went on to play a key role in NJ and got a ring (he can put it one his middle finger when he goes out).  When he won the Lady Byng I remember he didn’t look all that impressed..like someone pissed in his coffee...(maybe his 120k a month lifestyle was finally catching up to him who knows, good grief upper class problems)

• Upvote 2

Loved this, thanks for sharing it! 

Remember Aucoin having one hell of a shot. 

Also remember Messier and he was just an ass.  That's all.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1