The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aucoin spills the beans about ex-Canucks teammates. Best Interview ever

JustNazzy

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As I recall Bure scored ALOT of shorthanded goals.  Mogilny was a superstar player, but his laziness cost him a chance to truly be one of the greats.  Both great players but one MAJOR thing separates the two...

Pavel Bure was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012.  Alexander  Mogilny was not.  Case closed...

Why do you keep bringing up this laziness thing?  Mogilny was the better player when he was here, before and after who cares.  Also if Mogilny played 700 games and his career was over you might be surprised which one had more points at equal games.  He will get his induction too, overall I’d rather have Bure than Mogilny simply because he’s the most exciting player I’ve ever watched.  If you watched Bure play all those games then you have to admit that he was also a lazy player at times, he took hundreds of shifts where he’d just sit back and cherry pick waiting for a pass by our blue line while the rest of the team was under siege in our own end, which is why he wasn’t a very good plus minus player.  He more than are up for it on special teams, but it was Linden and the rest of his teammates that grunted it out in the ditches.  Mogilny would go back and provide help, which is why I’d say he was the better of the two while he played for us.  Nothing lazy about that.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Why do you keep bringing up this laziness thing?  Mogilny was the better player when he was here, before and after who cares.  Also if Mogilny played 700 games and his career was over you might be surprised which one had more points at equal games.  He will get his induction too, overall I’d rather have Bure than Mogilny simply because he’s the most exciting player I’ve ever watched.  If you watched Bure play all those games then you have to admit that he was also a lazy player at times, he took hundreds of shifts where he’d just sit back and cherry pick waiting for a pass by our blue line while the rest of the team was under siege in our own end, which is why he wasn’t a very good plus minus player.  He more than are up for it on special teams, but it was Linden and the rest of his teammates that grunted it out in the ditches.  Mogilny would go back and provide help, which is why I’d say he was the better of the two while he played for us.  Nothing lazy about that.

Bure tore his ACL 15 games after Mogilny had arrived so how do you even compare the two when one received a major injury at the time they played together?

Bure wasn’t lazy he just didn’t like to defend as much as other players.  Mogilny literally took shifts off, offensively and defensively. 

The Hockey Hall of Fame agrees with me so I’ll take what they say over myself or anyone else in this forum.  Good luck wishing Mogilny gets into the Hall of Fame.  Bure and Fedorov are already in there as they were the best two players out of those three.  

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  Who was the last forward that we had who could blow someone apart along the boards or simple muscle his way to the net and score a goal.  Bertuzzi.  Horvat has shown some promise in that regard but he usually gets picked off after he gets by the first guy.  JV would have to show something very soon to meet this standard...he’s got the tools, but doesn’t seem to fit it all together well and avoids the tougher areas way too much (maybe WD is still screaming in his ear to not lose the puck on hard plays or something) and plays too much time on the perimeter.  

Horvat is the best we have at the moment, could be worse but also could be better.   Nobody in the system either, unless Madden puts on some serious weight and height over the next few years which is doubtfu.  JG looks like a bottom six player at this point.

I still salivate over what a almo bure and petey line could do.. or almo bure and neely.. 

However power forwards tend to take a lot longer to develop due to bullishness that has to be learned to focus and think more and not try to run all over the ice hitting everything that moves and either get caught out of position or injured. JV is getting closer and that's why he hasn't been traded i think, but even slow progress is ok unless it stops. At least travis knows how to work with young guys so i've not lost hope. 

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Been missing that key component for yrs..

13 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Mogilny will be in the HHF just be cuz he was the first Russian to play in the NHL.

It’s very funny all of the 1st generation Russian players that played in the nhl all went back to Russia. Mogilny is now living in Vladivostok and is part of that KHL Management team.

i watched a documentary on Fetisov about Russian hockey and the Russia 5. It was interesting the part about the 80 Olympics

the miracle on ice. Fetisov said they beat USA 7-0 a week earlier and was saying that the Russian coach Tikhanov was a big time a-hole. Fetisov didn’t say it, but alluded to losing the gold medal game to USA in order to get Tikhanov fired. But it back fired as Tikhanov was so senior in the KGB that he was untouchable and all the players where replaced with exception to young Fetisov.

Why do you find it funny the russians headed "home?" How about family and childhood friends etc... 

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lol, I used to go to every Canucks game at Pacific Coliseum and then at GM Place, so I watched both of them play their entire Canuck careers.  I never said I watched every Sabres game, I still don't do that even today.  But I watched enough of both of them plus playoffs which were always on tv to understand that Bure had the extra gear.  Fedorov was the most complete out of the three, Bure the most exciting and dynamic and Mogilny was a pure goal scorer.  But nobody is going to tell me Mogilny was a better overall player than Bure.  Show me the stats that prove that?  Other than his rookie year and the one year with Vancouver when Bure got injured how many times did Mogilny score 50 goals?  If he was so great why didn't he score 50 goals every year?  Bure scored close to 60 goals with Florida twice AFTER his second knee operation.  Without the two torn ACL's Bure could have easily gotten to 600 or even 700 goals and played till he was 40 like Jagr.

Big deal about stats, Dino Cicarellis got more points than both Bure and Mogilny, is he better? Hell no. You should check out out Almo's wikipedia page and scroll to the bottom. Fedorov  was quoted that Mogilny was not only a better player but faster than Bure. Mogilny was one time in the fastest skater competition, don't make this out like Bure is a blurr and Almo was mediocre, Mogilny was plenty plenty fast. Also of note having praise for Mogilny was both Quinn and of course the title of this thread, Adrian Aucoin. Both thought he was the most talented and both had first hand look at Mogilny AND Bure. I'll take Fedorov, Quinn and Aucoins opinion over yours LOL

And about the you going to the games, I highly doubt that. You're just basing your opinions on youtube clips. Would've couldve should've on Bure's ACL injuries, its like saying Mogilny would've scored 700 goals if he actually gave a damn half the time.

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Big deal about stats, Dino Cicarellis got more points than both Bure and Mogilny, is he better? Hell no. You should check out out Almo's wikipedia page and scroll to the bottom. Fedorov  was quoted that Mogilny was not only a better player but faster than Bure. Mogilny was one time in the fastest skater competition, don't make this out like Bure is a blurr and Almo was mediocre, Mogilny was plenty plenty fast. Also of note having praise for Mogilny was both Quinn and of course the title of this thread, Adrian Aucoin. Both thought he was the most talented and both had first hand look at Mogilny AND Bure. I'll take Fedorov, Quinn and Aucoins opinion over yours LOL

And about the you going to the games, I highly doubt that. You're just basing your opinions on youtube clips. Would've couldve should've on Bure's ACL injuries, its like saying Mogilny would've scored 700 goals if he actually gave a damn half the time.

I'll take the Hockey Hall of Fame opinion's over everyone's.  Fedorov and Bure are in the Hall of Fame, Mogilny isn't, I guess that is difficult to comprehend for you.  

As for going to the games, I've been following the Canucks since the 1980's and went to the Coliseum on a regular basis for almost 12 years before they moved to GM Place, where I also attended many games.  I also used to watch all the games on TV and then listen to Dan Russell's show afterwards.  I even remember when we went to the 94 finals and those guys drove that Canucks car all the way to New York and reported back on Russell's show about their experience.  I grew up a Canucks fan and have seen over 600 games in person.  I am not an expert on talent but from what I saw Bure was the better player.  I never said Mogilny wasn't fast or any good, he was plenty fast and was a super star.  But Bure in my opinion was the better player, and if you take away the two major knee injuries he plays until he is 40 and scores 700 goals just like Jagr.  Mogilny was pretty much injury free but never would have played until 40 because his passion for the game wasn't as great as Bure's.  Mogilny had raw skill that couldn't be matched, problem is he didn't show it every game, that's why his numbers dipped after he left the Canucks and he eventually retired.  Bure continued to put up 50+ goal seasons even after his second knee operation.  Without that bad knee he could have hit 60 goals easily into his 30's.  I also remember Bure leading Team Russia in the 1998 Olympics.  He was the star player of the tournament and Russia went to the finals.  

Bure was a strong two way player.  He was a regular on Pat Quinn's penalty kill and still has the most shorthanded goals in Canucks history with 24, nobody is even close.  So to suggest he was simply an offensive force is incorrect.  If you watched as many of his games as I did he was great on the penalty kill and was a threat to score shorthanded every time he was on the ice.  

Priceless comments about Mogilny.  One of my favorites all-time -that guy was unreal.  And no doubt, he shut Keenan's mouth with that dose of realism.

Likewise with Bure - perhaps the reason people knew little about Bure - is that everyone wanted to know too much.  He was hounded incessantly = anyone with a sense of and desire for privacy might have been a bit guarded - as Bure understandably was.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'll take the Hockey Hall of Fame opinion's over everyone's.  Fedorov and Bure are in the Hall of Fame, Mogilny isn't, I guess that is difficult to comprehend for you.  

As for going to the games, I've been following the Canucks since the 1980's and went to the Coliseum on a regular basis for almost 12 years before they moved to GM Place, where I also attended many games.  I also used to watch all the games on TV and then listen to Dan Russell's show afterwards.  I even remember when we went to the 94 finals and those guys drove that Canucks car all the way to New York and reported back on Russell's show about their experience.  I grew up a Canucks fan and have seen over 600 games in person.  I am not an expert on talent but from what I saw Bure was the better player.  I never said Mogilny wasn't fast or any good, he was plenty fast and was a super star.  But Bure in my opinion was the better player, and if you take away the two major knee injuries he plays until he is 40 and scores 700 goals just like Jagr.  Mogilny was pretty much injury free but never would have played until 40 because his passion for the game wasn't as great as Bure's.  Mogilny had raw skill that couldn't be matched, problem is he didn't show it every game, that's why his numbers dipped after he left the Canucks and he eventually retired.  Bure continued to put up 50+ goal seasons even after his second knee operation.  Without that bad knee he could have hit 60 goals easily into his 30's.  I also remember Bure leading Team Russia in the 1998 Olympics.  He was the star player of the tournament and Russia went to the finals.  

Bure was a strong two way player.  He was a regular on Pat Quinn's penalty kill and still has the most shorthanded goals in Canucks history with 24, nobody is even close.  So to suggest he was simply an offensive force is incorrect.  If you watched as many of his games as I did he was great on the penalty kill and was a threat to score shorthanded every time he was on the ice.  

The Hockey Hall of Fame passed on putting Pat Burns in the Hall until after his death despite him being more than worthy of being in the Hall. Their opinion is subjective at best. 

On 2/9/2019 at 3:01 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Too much bad boy(accented) 'bro' talk, from this pov. So these guys like bouncing/shooting/passing balls, pucks, & found it hard to stay awake in school...

All these anecdotes provide PROOF that we(unwashed masses) pay 80-90% too much f***ing $, so privileged, talented(in some physical manner) & unbearably cocky youth can run around, banging supermodels, drinking like fish, & acting like animals.

I'm really glad I decided to walk away(almost completely, save for ice hockey) from pro sports hero worship. It's an overhyped ruse, with a diff set of rules, for a select group of individuals.

Dunno man, I kind of miss the old days, when players could and would party hard on road trips and had some idiosyncrasies and character. Nowadays they are all the same, streamlined pros never stepping out of line, spewing out the same boring cliques... 

Just listened to Borje Salming on a radio show, talking about his career. He talked about his first few pro seasons in Sweden. He’d just helped his team win the championship and they’d rented the towns nightclub for the party, but the bouncers would not let him in citing the above reason. Borje says “but in in the team” or something to that effect but the bouncers wouldnt believe him because he was at the nightclub partying every other night too. :D 

But he was still the best and most hardworking player on the team. 

2 hours ago, Skip Spence said:

Dunno man, I kind of miss the old days, when players could and would party hard on road trips and had some idiosyncrasies and character. Nowadays they are all the same, streamlined pros never stepping out of line, spewing out the same boring cliques... 

Just listened to Borje Salming on a radio show, talking about his career. He talked about his first few pro seasons in Sweden. He’d just helped his team win the championship and they’d rented the towns nightclub for the party, but the bouncers would not let him in citing the above reason. Borje says “but in in the team” or something to that effect but the bouncers wouldnt believe him because he was at the nightclub partying every other night too. :D 

But he was still the best and most hardworking player on the team. 

Yeah..it's a fair point there. Funny you should mention old Salming. Decades back I worked with a bloke who had some funny anecdotes. I think Errol Thompson(late-80's..lil foggy?) was the guy's cousin..but it sounded like Salming was quite the partier. Good with the ladies too! :^)

Lot of trouble stems from giving kids salaries that are maybe 10-20x what a doctor might make. So it's societal, & this fading paradigm required it's "bread & circuses".

Would've found it funny if most people woke up & said, "F*** that! I'm not paying that kinda $$$$$$$$$$$ for bloody tix!" & there was some huge market correction/$ haircut for sports stars. Of course the opposite occurred. Now they've figured out Further revenue streams, & there are more advising wh*res trying to get their greasy fingers in the pie.

I don't argue with others on these matters..but when I saw where it was going(in my mid-20's) I chose to opt out. Now I'm prob the last NA'n who's never seen Brady throw a football. Whatever.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Priceless comments about Mogilny.  One of my favorites all-time -that guy was unreal.  And no doubt, he shut Keenan's mouth with that dose of realism.

Likewise with Bure - perhaps the reason people knew little about Bure - is that everyone wanted to know too much.  He was hounded incessantly = anyone with a sense of and desire for privacy might have been a bit guarded - as Bure understandably was.

One of the funniest things ever was Gino on at intermission years ago but after he retired... they got to asking about Pavel and he said "no we don't even talk now" "he is one weird dude" lmao.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:50 PM, xereau said:

No wonder the team sucked so bad, all they did was party.

This boozing and chasing women culture goes way back.

It makes today's players look like droopy eyed children.

In fact Bieksa and Torres were taking shots at today's young players for not wanting to go out and stay in and play Fortnite.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:29 PM, Papa Sawce said:

Love the spittin’ chiclets, although it’s very Boston biased and biz nasty’s always on the arizona wagon, they make for great real interviews with past and current players, Shane O’brien had a good interview a while back, same with Geoff Courtnall

Yeah Courtnall’s was so good. Just one of the boys and man what a prankster. 

Archived