The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Panarin

Panarin announced yesterday that he will be going to view is options during free agency this summer. 

“I want to see what happens in the summer, and if I have better options,” Panarin said, according to The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline. “I’m ready for that situation. I know in the summer how hard that will be for me. I’m ready. Still positive.”

Apparently, the Blue Jackets are at the top of his list, but everyone knows that doesn't mean anything. Panarin has 20 goals and 60 points in 51 games this season. 

Do you believe the Canucks have a shot at Panarin this year? We have a young up-and-coming group which could potentially make the playoffs this year. Is there a lure with Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes for players to decide on Vancouver for their destination? 

Panarin would slot nicely into the top left-wing spot, and compliment a player like Horvat or Pettersson nicely. 

How would you feel about paying him around 10M a season to slot him into our lineup? 

21 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Panarin announced yesterday that he will be going to view is options during free agency this summer. 

Apparently, the Blue Jackets are at the top of his list, but everyone knows that doesn't mean anything. Panarin has 20 goals and 60 points in 51 games this season. 

Do you believe the Canucks have a shot at Panarin this year? We have a young up-and-coming group which could potentially make the playoffs this year. Is there a lure with Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes for players to decide on Vancouver for their destination? 

Panarin would slot nicely into the top left-wing spot, and compliment a player like Horvat or Pettersson nicely. 

How would you feel about paying him around 10M a season to slot him into our lineup? 

Not even slightly. I don't believe we have any real reason to believe Artemi is even going to consider signing in Vancouver. He's said before that he wants to play in a major US city or a destination city (I.E - NYR, Tampa, LA). 

10 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Not even slightly. I don't believe we have any real reason to believe Artemi is even going to consider signing in Vancouver. He's said before that he wants to play in a major US city or a destination city (I.E - NYR, Tampa, LA). 

Why wouldn’t he consider Vancouver? Young team on the rise, plenty of cap space available and he’d be playing with two young all-stars. 

Could be a lure, however if it came down to him or someone like Karlsson I'm taking Erik every time for the cap space.

With Hughes coming up and given how the team is already in the middle of the pack in terms of goals/ game, I think it wouldn't take a major addition on the wing (nor should that  be a top priority) to get to the next level.  Even improving our transition game could work wonders for the team.

I mean, imagine
           Sven
Brock   Bo      Petey
          Karlsson

For a first PP.  Then we could let Quinn work on the 2nd unit with Eddie and if Gaudette proves he's ready by next season, we could run something like this
                          Loui
Gaudette    Goldie/ Leivo    Eddie
                        Quinn

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Could be a lure, however if it came down to him or someone like Karlsson I'm taking Erik every time for the cap space.

With Hughes coming up and given how the team is already in the middle of the pack in terms of goals/ game, I think it wouldn't take a major addition on the wing (nor should that  be a top priority) to get to the next level.  Even improving our transition game could work wonders for the team.

I mean, imagine
           Sven
Brock   Bo      Petey
          Karlsson

For a first PP.  Then we could let Quinn work on the 2nd unit with Eddie and if Gaudette proves he's ready by next season, we could run something like this
                          Loui
Gaudette    Goldie/ Leivo    Eddie
                        Quinn

That would be unreal. However,

**checks math**

Canucks could theoretically have the cap space for both Panarin and Karlsson :ph34r:

Not saying it’s gonna happen, but it’s possible. 

30 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

10 x 8? Well we still have to sign Boeser / Pettersson. Hopefully we can convince them to sign in the 6mil range. If yes, I feel good about signing Panarin. 

I believe you can only give an 8 year contract to your own players, which would mean trading for him (likely at the deadline) and that would mean giving up significant assets to land him.  No thanks.  I would rather wait for free agency.

On the open market we could offer him a 7 year deal.  Would he be worth anything close to $10M per year when he's 34?  I feel like it might be an overpayment.  Would a $10M contract Panarin make it tough for us to afford to keep Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, etc. down the road?  I'm reluctant to go after big ticket free agents for that exact reason.  I prefer to continue to build the team the way we have, and only use free agency to fill in between the core pieces.

I'd rather the Canucks overpay for a stud defenseman than a forward, all things being equal.  

A good defense can help make it easier on the goalie and help create offense.  Not saying forwards aren't useful, but rarely do teams win the Stanley Cup without all-star Norris-caliber defensemen.

Okay, let's do the hypothetical discussion.

Yes, I think he would consider this team with the base of young talent that we have coming up through the ranks.

Yes, you're going to have to kick out something pretty close to 10 million per season to get him here and yes, he would make our Left Side look a hell of a lot better since that's really an area of weakness at the moment.

So, let's do the math. We have 15 guys currently signed next season for slightly under 49 million (for round number sake, 49), leaving us with 34 million to spend next season, assuming the cap goes to the 83 million its projected to. Remember, we have Gagner as well at 3.15 million in our cap numbers. We pick up another 

We need to resign:

Granlund - 1.5 million (definitely expendable if we brought in Panarin

Motte - 1.5 million - has been a nice surprise for us. He definitely makes us better when he's playing. I'd personally try and lock him for 2 - 3 years at 1.5 - 2 million

Leivo - 2.5 million based on his play so far this year, would probably go to 3 million per if could lock him there for 4 years. Excellent steal by JB, bringing him here.

Boeser - 7.5 million, I'm going on that, hoping that he will give a little home town discount to the team that has believed in him and supported his decisions and his need to help his parents as well, at every turn. I would hope to lock him in for at least 5 years at that rate, but I would even run it up to 8 or 8.5 million per if you could do it for the full 8 years. 

Goldobin - 2 to 2.5 million bridge (show me) deal for 1 to 2 years. Really talented kid with the puck, needs to show that he can be responsible without the puck.

Hutton - 3.5 million per, 3 year deal. I think he's justified JB's faith in him this year and shown that he can respond to a challenge.

Pouliot - 1.5 million, 1 year, show me bridge deal. Has talent, but needs to be much more consistent.

Demko - 1.25 million 1 or 2 year bridge deal.

Those numbers put us at about 21 - 23 million spent

I'm going to assume that Edler will be back for 2 years at 6 million per (Hometown discount)

That takes us to about 27 to 29 million spent

For argument sake, let's pick a number in the middle and say that leaves us with 6 million to spend.

Let's also assume that Gagner will either be traded or bought out by July 1st. To be conservative, being bought out will still cost us a little over 1 million against the cap, but will give us 2 million more in space, bringing us to 8 million.

So, room to sign Panarin? Yes, becasue even if Panarin was 10 million, We'd essentially at the very least, move Granlund during the off season which would get us in under the cap.

Now personally, if we're going to dare to dream, I'd rather take that money and try and convince Karlsson to come here for about 10 - 11 million per, to come play with Pettersson and help mentor Hughes

Now, if we're going to dream REALLY big, between now and October 1st 2020, move out Granlund, Goldobin, Schaller, Pouliot and possibly Gudbranson and go sign both Panarin and Karlsson and rely on guys on their ELC's to fill in the remaining holes.

No, I don't really believe that both of these guys will land here, but dreaming is what we do in here!

Honestly, if we're to throw big money at a guy I'd rather chase EK. Though I don't imagine either of em would come here anyway and I'm not sure they'd be the right moves at this point anyway. Brock and EP will be due for raises soon and I'm ever wary of Luongo's potential recapture penalty screwing us. Though I don't think he'd retire and do that to Vancouver, there's no way he's not aware of what kind of trouble the penalty could be for us.

That being said I'm wary of big ticket UFA's in general.

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Brock and EP will be due for raises soon and I'm ever wary of Luongo's potential recapture penalty screwing us.

Luongo can retire whenever he wants and call it injury related. He's told people that before. So we won't have to worry about the Cap Recapture Penalty. 

Pettersson still has 2 years remaining before whatever big contract he signs will count against the cap. Boeser gets $7.5 million max probably this offseason, and I think lower. By the time Pettersson's big contract counts against the Canucks, Gudbranson and Sutter will be off the books (if they don't get traded sooner), Louis Eriksson will be in the last year of his awful contract (we could probably retain half his salary and trade him, if he hasn't already been bought out). So I don't think we need to worry about the Cap.

I believe we can afford to spend on 2 big money UFA's this offseason. So I could see them trying to arrange something where their telling UFA's "if you "UFA player 1" agree to sign here then "UFA player 2" will also sign here. 

I think that's how the Canucks end up signing a big name UFA this offseason. If their only trying to sign 1, I think it's less likely we get them.

7 hours ago, Pears said:

Why wouldn’t he consider Vancouver? Young team on the rise, plenty of cap space available and he’d be playing with two young all-stars. 

Because it’s not NY, LA, or Miami.

Just like when the Canucks called JT and he didn’t even invite them to the party.

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Because it’s not NY, LA, or Miami.

Just like when the Canucks called JT and he didn’t even invite them to the party.

He’d be crazy to choose LA or Florida over Vancouver. Especially considering we had one of the greatest Russians of all time. 

Archived