The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Short Term Pain for Long Term Gain

surfer53

"We're going to be a great team soon if we do this right"

What? How? Purposely lose?  You are asking for the impossible. Players won't tank for obvious reasons. Neither will coaches. So the only other two ways the team tanks is a rash load of injuries, especially to our top producers and defensemen. Or, not only does Benning try and clean house of all the vets he can at the TDL...but he succeeds! which is asking a lot based on his history of trying to deal away vets.  Either way....the team is forced to call up players that are not ready for prime time from Utica, resulting in a rash load of losses in the tail end of the season.  Of course one has to ask if we gain more from a few spots up (potentially) in the draft but end the season with perpetual losing and lowered confidence in the team.

There are no guarantees, so you try to build a team that can gather experience and confidence until all the pieces are in place.

If you could just go "rebuild" with all the parts needed then go, sure.

But it's always going to be a matter of being a work in progress and you HAVE to consider those in place without sacrificing what's good for them too, NOT just what's to come and possible players.

I don't agree.   Go hard, see how far you can take it and then keep adding players that fit with your model.   

This is a tank thread.  I don't believe in a "tank to win".   You win to win and acquire the best picks possible as you go.  Team bonding and chemistry takes a huge hit when you string losses together...even if for a greater good.   It's a risk I'm not willing to take...this team needs to win to keep progressing and as part of their overall growth.  Losing will heap on a whole bunch of problems with a start at square one agenda.

I don't want a team that loses confidence, starts questioning things, etc.  How would that fare for EP?   I want whatever's best for him most of all because he is our future.  Well, other guys too but you get my point.   Imagine what losing does to his overall psyche?  He hates to lose so to lose as part of an agenda makes NO sense to me.

Didn't the Oilers have 4 1st O/A picks? How is that working for them? Buffalo is just starting to turn around but isn't quitter right. You can accumulate all the high picks in the world but if you don't build a team to support them then it's pretty much useless.

Let's build a team and if a high pick is in the cards than it's just a bonus. I like the team so far, if there's an F/A signing that makes the team better I say go for it, if there's a hockey deal to be made then do it. Otherwise; let's wait until the offseason before anything major is done

Games where the team is experiencing injuries to aging vets are just glimpses into the future when these players need to be replaced and what will happen during this transition.

It is a reason I have been constantly posting there are not enough draft picks playing/learning the NHL game, the best AHLer's struggle when learning the NHL game.

It isn't suggesting a ""tank" to say they team needs to bring 4 rookies onto the lineup next year, the team will dip and the silver lining is another top pick closer to being able to step right into the NHL and having an impact.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:19 PM, CanadianRugby said:

9 of 10 teams that won the cup in the cap era did so with top 3 picks leading them there  How's that working out for them?  

2018 maxresdefault.jpg.e56c6bb8f53e9079fc486370f494f420.jpg

2017cut.jpg.d7e139ce6c4dd13d9bb98954fcfe328a.jpg

2016cropped_2017-06-12T033438Z_184311802_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NHL-STANLEY-CUP-FINAL-PITTSBURGH-PENGUINS-AT-NASHVILLE-PREDATORS.jpg.0917939eb59cf20de2dcf1bcb7a6d4fd.jpg

2015085ba54f9c92c6a852b02b3546057d82.jpg.ebc5a6201e71af6b03dc94286d6e3bae.jpg

20146814265.jpg.3a4afbb4162bb4e01310b9708987b1df.jpg

2013cujt.jpg.d577ada07974095808d12ad18cc8730e.jpg

2012la-spk-doughty-cup-20120614-001.jpg.c20c94715de24b8074edaf36c49bad7a.jpg

2010toews_kane-1040x572.jpg.16d0bcbd4861b3e5582296e855f27ed1.jpg

2009695007880.0.jpg.a55d9f2201f796c150f626decaf136b1.jpg

So if Washington took 12 years to do it we have lots of time left is that what you are saying.

Canucks have come a long way from the shallow prospect pool of Jensen, Gaunce, Cassels, Zhukenov, Hutton, and Subban. The pool is almost refilled, but they're not there yet. The Canucks still need better D and 2 top 6 wingers. I like the gritty guys on the team (Gudbranson, Virtanen, Roussel, Beagle, Motte, Gaudette, MacEwen, Leivo)  and these guys will be huge once the Canucks get back to the playoffs. I don't think playoffs will happen this year, but next year Hughes will join the team, and maybe Benning finds a top line winger for Pettersson, or they draft one this year. I think they squeak in next year and become contenders in 3-5 years. 

8 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

So if Washington took 12 years to do it we have lots of time left is that what you are saying.

You actually quoted what I am saying.  Sorry if it's confusing. 

8 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

"9 of 10 teams that won the cup in the cap era did so with top 3 picks leading them there"

Archived