The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Some thoughts about the game:

-  Nothing more needs to be said about Marky... he was the difference.

-  Good games from both Bo and Boes... Boes was particularly good... all over the puck tonight... tons of chances... nice to see him get his goal as a real scorer's goal... he needs to get back to that level of shooting to be really successful.

-  Stecher just won the PP Quarterback competition for D's.... he was calm and collected on the blue line, handled the puck well... made some great passes.  He also played well in even strength situations.  In many ways he is an ideal guy to cover Johnny Gaudreau because he is quick on his skates, turns well and has decent acceleration.

-  Good game for Leivo... continues to show a sniper's skill... he is scoring when maybe he shouldn't... he was also showing a good forecheck and physical play.

-  Bullsh*t penalty on Virtanen for checking Gaudreau... all he did was push him... wasn't a cross check.

Pettersson continues to show us the subtleties of his game... some excellent defensive plays... some perfectly timed passes, and a great finish in the shootout.

Overall Canucks didn't really deserve to win... but the game showed when you have excellent goaltending and a couple star players, you can win no matter how badly you are outshot.

This kid is playing far beyond his years. How many times have we seen him protect the puck with his skinny body, and hold off guys (men) that are 30-40 pounds heavier than he is? I saw him throw at least two body checks last night, and they weren't him just getting in the way of someone, he was dropping his shoulder to get them. One was behind the Canuck net in the third. That pass that he set up Leivo with was one that not many players can even think of doing. Leivo was jumping over the boards when he turned with the puck on the far side boards, and EP saw him. The broadcast crew didn't seem to notice that play develop, but it was right in front of Debrusk. Same as the pass to Boeser on his goal. That play was him saying, I've seen enough, I'm going to do something, right now.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah, I love Biegas energy but oof, some of those passes :picard: 

I hope GB has had enough of a good showing in practice to make the lineup next game. 

That might have been Biegas' worst game as a Canuck. Finally some Stecher in on the overtime format.....He was flying last night.

9 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Who's that person that made fun of me at the begining of the season when I said Marky would be a top ten goalie in the league by the end if the year? 

I don't recall saying it specifically to you, but I have stated many times Markstrom isnt a #1 NHL goalie.

And I couldn't be happier to admit I was completely wrong. Hes playing the best hockey of his career easily right now.

Just now, CptCanuck16 said:

Yes, I miss him terribly every night as I pray to the Gagne alter in my living room.

Seriously though, he should be in the lineup.

Skill wise, yes.  That’s why I think there is something else going on we don’t know about.  

10 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Thanks Marky! We needed that. Boys played pretty well except the 2nd period.

Defensively we are giving up way too many chances by self inflicted turnovers; much courtesy of Guddy and Pooalot. I like the energy that Bulldog brings but it’s clear the guy is not a NHL regular. Luckily it should improve with Eagle’s return and with Quinn Hughes(maybe this year) and Olli Juolevi coming next year,

The PP is costing us so many goals and chances. Newell Brown needs to GTFO; what he is doing is clearly not working. It’s like he thinks we still have Salo, Kesler and the Sedins and his style fit them but clearly not our new team.

Petey carries this team’s offense. And Brock compliments him. They are a fun duo to watch. They are reportedly really close off the ice and it seems to translate on the ice too.

Time to celebrate with some wine! 

Well said...

Marky and EP40 willed the team to win

The Flames exposed the weakness of our D....however, Marky doused the Flame.

Stech on the point looked good...he can quickly pass to each side to the snipers. If he stays on the PP and dishes to EP40 or BB6, it may start to work.

I think it's safe to say now that something has clicked for Marky. Wow. What a turnaround from the Marky before. I give him full credit for finding his game. I honestly didn't think this would ever happen, but I'm happy to say that I was wrong.

Petey is not only our mvp but is just incredibly clutch. What an absolute stud. If we make the playoffs the nhl should seriously consider him for more hardware than just the Calder.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Skill wise, yes.  That’s why I think there is something else going on we don’t know about.  

maybe the years of losing in Edmonton rubbed off on him and Green doesn't want that in the room? yeah the guy has/had some skill but he doesn't exude effort particularly without the puck. We don't need him at all. 

14 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I don't recall saying it specifically to you, but I have stated many times Markstrom isnt a #1 NHL goalie.

And I couldn't be happier to admit I was completely wrong. Hes playing the best hockey of his career easily right now.

This plus the majority of the CDC.  By the end of November I was so fed up with the amount of time Vancouver invested in a goalie that almost broke the record for games without a shutout (which includes the 70-95, an era where scoring escalated ), seemed to let a soft one in most games within the first few whistles ... the longest rope I’ve ever seen in any goalie wearing a Canuck uniform and we’ve had some doozies.  After several pointed posts and a lot of agreement (with a few that did still think he has what it takes) his play suddenly turned and HE was now the difference maker.  A number one has to give you a chance to win most nights, and have the ability to steal games too, both things Markstrom is now doing on a consistent basis.  I thought EP was the biggest surprise and story of the year, we knew he was going to be good given last years play, but the NHL is a big adjustment and nobody would have criticized him if he came in, played center and did a reasonably good job behind Horvat on the second line.  Now Markstrom is giving him a run for his money as the biggest surprise.  And I’m happy to eat a big blackbird pie if he continues and we end up in the playoffs.

On that note it looks like only wild card spot will be available given St Louis rapid turnaround, based mostly on another goalie who’s hot right now.

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yeah but McDavid and Matthews were 18 in their rookie year, whereas Petey was 19/20. It doesn’t take away anything from Petey (Ovi and Malkin were also 19/20), but it’s important to add context into stats. Petey is top 3 with McD and AM in future of the league players. 

I don't want to give too much thought to the Alien vs. McD vs. AM at this early stage in all their careers, but one thing is certain, Alien's 200ft game and awareness/compete on the defensive side of the puck is superior to both.

Just now, Alflives said:

Stecher is really smart.  If only he had a shot harder than a muffin.  

I think our PP, with Stecher, needs to have a lot of rotation.  

muffins with extra whipped filling I think 

its a good stop gap for the moment until Edler and or Hughes gets in, but maybe he's found himself a spot on the 2nd unit on a better version of this team? he seems to know what needs to be done vs some major confusion we've seen for the last while. 

Archived