Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

Rate this topic

Just now, Alflives said:

Stecher is really smart.  If only he had a shot harder than a muffin.  

I think our PP, with Stecher, needs to have a lot of rotation.  

muffins with extra whipped filling I think 

its a good stop gap for the moment until Edler and or Hughes gets in, but maybe he's found himself a spot on the 2nd unit on a better version of this team? he seems to know what needs to be done vs some major confusion we've seen for the last while. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Skill wise, yes.  That’s why I think there is something else going on we don’t know about.  

I think it’s Benning not happy with his contract, he came in after a career year and didn’t add enough.  Now if he will only do the same with Schaller the message will be very clear to journeyman and vets, if you come in you better do what your were brought in to do or get buried.  Leivo basically put the nail in Gagnes coffin.  Who would you take out?  Goldobin maybe but he wouldn’t clear waivers where as Gagne did.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bo fan said:

Marky pulling out the stops to help the team win - was a great game to watch

Our PK was awesome - the Flames could have had the game on the Beiga penalty

Happy for the win

Awaiting the Sharks

Granlund didn't play on it....this game

Just now, IBatch said:

I think it’s Benning not happy with his contract, he came in after a career year and didn’t add enough.  Now if he will only do the same with Schaller the message will be very clear to journeyman and vets, if you come in you better do what your were brought in to do or get buried.  Leivo basically put the nail in Gagnes coffin.  Who would you take out?  Goldobin maybe but he wouldn’t clear waivers where as Gagne did.

I think @Jimmy McGill got it right.  Gagner is too soft, and Green doesn’t want his experienced vets playing that way around the young kids.  

• Hydration 2

I think that was Boeser's best game as a Canuck.  He was dangerous all night.  Could have had 3 goals easily.  Calgary's goalie made some solid stops on him.

i believed that we only had one top six winger in boeser, but i’m beginning to se signs that leivo could fill a top six role. 

roussel plays well, whatever line he plays on. 

we need another sniper and a playmaker. 

• Upvote 1

I think this off season will be huge for us. If we can somehow get a top 4 D and a top 6 winger, I think we will be dangerous next year, along with the players on our team progressing during the off season. It's a great time to be a Canucks fan, Jimbo is building a solid team from top to bottom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think it’s time for brisebois Biega was solely responsible for two goals 

i hear a couple people bashing virtanen but it was his pushback after the 3rd goal going after Johnny hockey that sparked the 3rd goal 

He definitely adds an element this team needs

granlund needs to get traded and McEwen brought up. over the last few games he can’t get it out of his own end  

• Hydration 2

10 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

I think this off season will be huge for us. If we can somehow get a top 4 D and a top 6 winger, I think we will be dangerous next year, along with the players on our team progressing during the off season. It's a great time to be a Canucks fan, Jimbo is building a solid team from top to bottom.

We are possibly going to get that top 4 D as soon as next month (Q. Hughes) so I don't think that's going to be a need unless we want to improve on who we already have. 

As for top 6 winger, I wouldn't mind going after Silfverberg from the Ducks. He's not having the greatest year there (everyone on the ducks isn't) and could benefit from a change of scenery. He has a history of performing big when it matters, and we can even acquire him at the deadline if we are serious about making the playoffs.

I doubt we'll be able to go after the likes of Panarin etc during the off-season and after Eriksson I don't really like the idea of signing FA to long term lots of $$$ due to it being risky nowadays (Eriksson, Lucic, Ladd, Neal, etc).

Silfverberg would be a nice addition, and might be the player Horvat could use on his line. Both play a similar kind of game too

Edited by Odd.
  • Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

That's frickin ridiculous. Do you happen to know how he ranks league-wide for primary points? 

He's first in the league.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Stecher is really smart.  If only he had a shot harder than a muffin.  

I think our PP, with Stecher, needs to have a lot of rotation.  

I think the entire pp improves IF, someone on the back end can get the puck through to the net. All of these guys have their shots blocked going for the hard slap shot. Just get the damn thing through to the net with a simple wrister.

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

We are possibly going to get that top 4 D as soon as next month (Q. Hughes) so I don't think that's going to be a need unless we want to improve on who we already have. 

As for top 6 winger, I wouldn't mind going after Silfverberg from the Ducks. He's not having the greatest year there (everyone on the ducks isn't) and could benefit from a change of scenery. He has a history of performing big when it matters, and we can even acquire him at the deadline if we are serious about making the playoffs.

I doubt we'll be able to go after the likes of Panarin etc during the off-season and after Eriksson I don't really like the idea of signing FA to long term lots of $$$ due to it being risky nowadays (Eriksson, Lucic, Ladd, Neal, etc).

Silfverberg would be a nice addition, and might be the player Horvat could use on his line. Both play a similar kind of game too

I mean we have the cap space so might as well use some of it. A lot of the free agents that are available this year aren't in their low to mid 30s like Erikson and lucic were. 

Getting a winger like Silfverberg would be great, but getting someone like Stone/Panarin (maybe unlikely?) would be amazing.

Hughes will be a welcome addition but adding another top 4 would be great to go along with Edler and tanev.

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Myers and/or Stone please

• Upvote 1

coached a PeeWee team against a team with half Bantams and half PeeWees (clearly a better team...they killed all the teams in the tourney 15-0, 18-0 and so on.)

We faced them in the final game...they were up 4-1 after the first period...I told my team three things and told them to go out and do those three things...the three things were:

1. get the puck out over our blue line

2. get the puck in over their blue line;

3. pressure the puck when you get it out and get it in.

the PeeWees went out and did those three things....they tied the game 4-4 and the game went into over time.

the only thing I told the team to do in OT was to go and win the game.

They won the game with less than 1 minute in OT....I was watching the parents in the stands when they won the game...they were jumping up and down with joy and hugging each other....priceless.

Morale of the story...get the puck out, get the puck in and pressure the puck!!!

oh yeah...not that it matters...but we had 3 girls on our team and they had none.

Edited by Pete M
add
  • Upvote 1

Dang I didn't watch the game but listened to the last period on the radio driving home.   Sounded like Markstrom had one of his best games of his career in a Nucks jersey.

• Upvote 2

Last nights game was a lesson in how important goal tending is to the success of the team. out shot 17-1 at one point in the second period and only down one goal.

Markstrom did what a few goalies before him have not been able to do and that's steal a game. We haven't had that in a long time. If Calgary could get that type of Goaltending they would be dangerous. I am sure they do not want the Canucks to be their first round opponent

Boeser needed that goal. He was looking snake bit over the last few games as he has had glorious chances but hasn't been able to score on a lot of them. not that he isnt scoring but the goals could have come in buckets

Not as many posts this game although i do recall one that Horvat had in OT. Post and in is a lot better than post and out.

I will give Green credit; this team seems to be ready to play most nights. They do come out of the gate better than in years past. now its the second period we need to improve.

Petterson is the over and above for any GM. Great pick by JB and can we please keep this kid healthy.

Leivo had another strong game and they should leave him on Petey's line.

Bo needs someone to play with. Roussell looks good but he is lacking one other winger.

Sutter's line with Virtanen on it looked lost last night

A lucky one for sure but we have had the bounces go against us in a few games this year. time to go one a 5 or 6 game winning streak

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Stelar said:

It’s really shocking that we are in the hunt with this defence 

it's called Marky (shock absorber)....but he can't even hide the deficiencies....they are so obvious, just like a tire fire.