The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

the number of primary points EP has is astounding.  He generates so much on his own.  So much out of nothing.  Consider last night where for many shifts Biega was on EP's  blue line.  Biega is an AHL /bubble NHL player - how much help can he possibly offer EP in terms of rushing the puck, holding the puck in, making a sneaky pass .  Biega will kill the play more often than not.

Contrast this with a guy like Tkachuk  (an arbitrary comparison I know)- who is a very good player-  but has the luxury of a point producing D core - including a likely Norris candidate - generating offence for him from the point.   Ive seen that guy generate 2 and 3 point games just by passing the puck back to his D who end up doing something valuable with the puck.

Imagine if EP gets D men behind him that can ramp up the offence generation.  i think the cavalry is on its way....its gonna get really bloody exciting in the next year or so!

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

the number of primary points EP has is astounding.  He generates so much on his own.  So much out of nothing.  Consider last night where for many shifts Biega was on EP's  blue line.  Biega is an AHL /bubble NHL player - how much help can he possibly offer EP in terms of rushing the puck, holding the puck in, making a sneaky pass .  Biega will kill the play more often than not.

Contrast this with a guy like Tkachuk - who is a very good player-  but has the luxury of a point producing D core - including a likely Norris candidate - generating offence for him from the point.   Ive seen that guy generate 2 and 3 point games just by passing the puck back to his D who end up doing something valuable with the puck.

Imagine if EP gets D men behind him that can ramp up the offence generation.  i think the cavalry is on its way....its gonna get really bloody exciting in the next year or so!

Agreed

Thats why we drafted Hughes last season. Juolevi also. We probaly will draft a D man again in the first round this year unless a bona fide Left winger is there instead, but then it will be D in the second round.

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

Agreed

Thats why we drafted Hughes last season. Juolevi also. We probaly will draft a D man again in the first round this year unless a bona fide Left winger is there instead, but then it will be D in the second round.

I think some people are underrating Juolevi when it comes to how much he will help this team.  The kid's bread and butter is transition and making the right decision.  When he was playing at his peak one of his strong points was playing with ice in his veins when the other team was putting the screws down in the forecheck...he was able to get the puck out with quick accurate passes.   If he can provide that sort of performance at the NHL level it will really alleviate what we saw last night - a lot of dumping it out down the middle - and turning it over - when Calgary was sending the puck in.  Lots of panic moves and bad decisions

Hughes will be Hughes...Im excited to see Juolevi get up to speed and start making contributions.  He will add that extra layer that will make this team dangerous. HOPEFULLY.

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its a bit weird, I can't stand how they smell anymore and yet I still crave them from time to time. Haven't had one since 2008.

On day 5...had quit for years but was in a relationship with a smoker for a few years....got trapped. Thankfully I barely smoked much...3-4 a day unless beers were happening so it's been easy so far. 

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think some people are underrating Juolevi when it comes to how much he will help this team.  The kid's bread and butter is transition and making the right decision.  When he was playing at his peak one of his strong points was playing with ice in his veins when the other team was putting the screws down in the forecheck...he was able to get the puck out with quick accurate passes.   If he can provide that sort of performance at the NHL level it will really alleviate what we saw last night - a lot of dumping it out down the middle - and turning it over - when Calgary was sending the puck in.  Lots of panic moves and bad decisions

Hughes will be Hughes...Im excited to see Juolevi get up to speed and start making contributions.  He will add that extra layer that will make this team dangerous. HOPEFULLY.

I think people here are taking a show me approach to Juolevi. He has been in the system a few years now and hasnt been able to stay healthy. That's a red flag for a lot of people. I am hopeful he can get healthy and become the player we all are hoping for.

If you take out Pouliot and Biega out and replace them with Juolevi and Hughes, even as the bottom pairing, our D improves. Thats without signing any free agents, making any trades, or drafting another player. Thats exciting to think about.

Debrusk said it the best after Boeser tied the game during the Flame on slaught....

"elite talent can do that... change the game, with only one opportunity".

...very similar to Hull and Oates....who were elite and could change the game with few opportunities...definitely one of the best duos in hockey....Canucks may have this as well.

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think people here are taking a show me approach to Juolevi. He has been in the system a few years now and hasnt been able to stay healthy. That's a red flag for a lot of people. I am hopeful he can get healthy and become the player we all are hoping for.

If you take out Pouliot and Biega out and replace them with Juolevi and Hughes, even as the bottom pairing, our D improves. Thats without signing any free agents, making any trades, or drafting another player. Thats exciting to think about.

exactly....take the approach of giving credit where it is due....there is still hope for OJ....but no credit until it is due....just waiting to give OJ credit, hopefully, it is as soon as next year!

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

We are possibly going to get that top 4 D as soon as next month (Q. Hughes) so I don't think that's going to be a need unless we want to improve on who we already have. 

As for top 6 winger, I wouldn't mind going after Silfverberg from the Ducks. He's not having the greatest year there (everyone on the ducks isn't) and could benefit from a change of scenery. He has a history of performing big when it matters, and we can even acquire him at the deadline if we are serious about making the playoffs.

I doubt we'll be able to go after the likes of Panarin etc during the off-season and after Eriksson I don't really like the idea of signing FA to long term lots of $$$ due to it being risky nowadays (Eriksson, Lucic, Ladd, Neal, etc).

Silfverberg would be a nice addition, and might be the player Horvat could use on his line. Both play a similar kind of game too

I like Silverberg too, he’s a proven playoff performer and once the get that their run as a top team in our division is over in ANA, they will start trading vets for futures.  Even with Hughes we need to add if we can on our defense.  Aside from Edler, Tanev and Stetcher I’d trade any of our defenseman for upgrade, and the top two are only getting older, both get injured regularly too.  Woo had promise and I agree with other posters that it’s time to let Brisbois have a good long look, and who knows with OJ.  Free agency doesn’t look that good this year for defenseman, Meyers maybe but he’s also injury prone.

31 minutes ago, Darius said:

Contrast this with a guy like Tkachuk  (an arbitrary comparison I know)- who is a very good player-  but has the luxury of a point producing D core - including a likely Norris candidate - generating offence for him from the point.   Ive seen that guy generate 2 and 3 point games just by passing the puck back to his D who end up doing something valuable with the puck.

Honestly, aside from his work below the hashmarks, which is admittedly very good, Tkachuk is mostly invisible.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Honestly, aside from his work below the hashmarks, which is admittedly very good, Tkachuk is mostly invisible.

i agree with this.  he makes smart choices with the puck most of the time, is a pain in the arse when he is within 2 feet of the goal in any direction..but other than that doesnt strike you as a player that can take over a game and dominate.

Kinda reminds me of Monahan, who is less visible because he doesnt muck it up as Tkachuk does.  He can be invisible all game ...all it takes is a spoon feed from JG and he gets a goal....

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I like Silverberg too, he’s a proven playoff performer and once the get that their run as a top team in our division is over in ANA, they will start trading vets for futures.  Even with Hughes we need to add if we can on our defense.  Aside from Edler, Tanev and Stetcher I’d trade any of our defenseman for upgrade, and the top two are only getting older, both get injured regularly too.  Woo had promise and I agree with other posters that it’s time to let Brisbois have a good long look, and who knows with OJ.  Free agency doesn’t look that good this year for defenseman, Meyers maybe but he’s also injury prone.

Damnit, I forgot about Juolevi. 

1 minute ago, Cramarossa said:

Miller is injured and hasn't played since Dec 9th. Four wins in the seven games he started (10 games played overall).

point exactly....injury prone doesn't help the team...how often was he injured when he played for the Canucks.

5 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Yeah he may, but he doesn't do anything. Other than in the shootout he's decent. He's redundant and soft.

So you agree he's used in all situations, which implies a widely varied, effective tool box, but claim he's redundant and soft?

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

point exactly....injury prone doesn't help the team...how often was he injured when he played for the Canucks.

Ryan Miller was a great Canuck. I wouldn't call him injury-prone, per se, just getting older and the wear and tear caught up with him. (I'd argue a younger man, like Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi are injury-prone). Not sure I get the hate. No need to drag Millsy just to gas up Marky. I wouldn't be shocked if Miller was reconsidering his decision not to re-sign with Van.

6 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Ryan Miller was a great Canuck. I wouldn't call him injury-prone, per se, just getting older and the wear and tear caught up with him. (I'd argue a younger man, like Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi are injury-prone). Not sure I get the hate. No need to drag Millsy just to gas up Marky. I wouldn't be shocked if Miller was reconsidering his decision not to re-sign with Van.

how often was Marky dragged down...I guess it doesn't work both ways for some (even though. Marky was just as good as Miller when Miller played for the Canucks)...Calder cup finalist because of the goaltending...Marky is finally getting some love...Miller, meh.

Archived