The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

With that in mind, he is the only player on this Canucks team, that stops Tkachuk from taking the liberties, he normally takes.

Flames are a big tough team, and we don't have many players, who can match them...especially with they fists.

Until we have another tough player in the same league as Guddy, his place is safe on this team.

That's it. When Guddy is on and physical, he keeps 90% of the players in the league at bay. Breaking Hamonic's face at the beginning of the season made an impression around the league.

Yes, players know that they can get positioning on him, but very few want to piss him off. Once Edler is back, I'd like to see Green put Gudbranson with him. They were stellar together. Put Tanev with Hughes, and Stecher with Hutton. Solid. 

you have to expect a counterpunch game against a team like Calgary when you're missing your #1D and another top 6 forward.

great  case of bending but not breaking last night.

Biega had a few rough shifts. but I thought the DP/Bulldog pairing held up well enough.

Gud and Tanev were outstanding last night.

Was great to see Roussel have another solid game - really stemmed some pressure late when he drew that holding call on a determined effort on his part.

Sounds like he had a really tough off-season last year - probably contributed to a somewhat slow start for him here - but really pulling for him knowing what he went through and nevertheless has shown up as he has - what a work ethic.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's it. When Guddy is on and physical, he keeps 90% of the players in the league at bay. Breaking Hamonic's face at the beginning of the season made an impression around the league.

I think he was already feared before breaking Hamonic's face - but it is really notable how timid Tkachuk is in these matchups nowadays - even when Gudbranson is not on the ice he's doing the skate-by in general as opposed to getting in Markstrom's face.  The only courage he showed last night was when there was a linesman between him and Gud - and even then, you could see his impulse - and then thinking better of making anything of it.  (On that note, it was pretty funny to watch Gud one-hand Frolik into submission with little resistance from Frolik). 

Gud and Tanev were great last night imo - Tanev seems to be adapting well to his off-side - and having a guy like Gud (or Edler) helps him significantly in the one area he's limited (he battles extremely well down low and takes whatever punishment necessary to make plays, but the less the better).

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think he was already feared before breaking Hamonic's face - but it is really notable how timid Tkachuk is in these matchups nowadays - even when Gudbranson is not on the ice he's doing the skate-by in general as opposed to getting in Markstrom's face.  The only courage he showed last night was when there was a linesman between him and Gud - and even then, you could see his impulse - and then thinking better of making anything of it.  (On that note, it was pretty funny to watch Gud one-hand Frolik into submission with little resistance from Frolik). 

Gud and Tanev were great last night imo - Tanev seems to be adapting well to his off-side - and having a guy like Gud (or Edler) helps him significantly in the one area he's limited (he battles extremely well down low and takes whatever punishment necessary to make plays, but the less the better).

I don't get the Guddy hate here........he's not fleet of foot and he does get caught taking an extra half a second on passes in his own end, but no one ever said he was a top 2-3 dman who can play 23+ mins a night.  

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes, players know that they can get positioning on him, but very few want to piss him off. Once Edler is back, I'd like to see Green put Gudbranson with him. They were stellar together. Put Tanev with Hughes, and Stecher with Hutton. Solid. 

How would you line them up? I'd go

Edler - Guddy

Hutton - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

3 hours ago, Megalodon said:

Generational even. 

I hate it when people use the term "generational" to describe excellent high level elite players. 

The term "generational".... to me, is  reserved for someone whose skill was is lightyears beyond anyone else in the league...  were rest of the players in the league actually have no tactical response...

Mario, Wayne, Bobby and honestly probably Jagr (props to Crosby and Ovechkin)...were wonders of the world.  These men didn't just dominate the league...they made it look like they needed a two levels higher to play ay. And won multiple cups. THAT is "generational".

Neither McDavid nor Mathews nor Petey have acomplished that.

IMO, Petey looks like a Crosby clone... with a better shot, different perspective and a taller frame to fillout. 

Just my opinion :)

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I think he was already feared before breaking Hamonic's face - but it is really notable how timid Tkachuk is in these matchups nowadays - even when Gudbranson is not on the ice he's doing the skate-by in general as opposed to getting in Markstrom's face.

Totally. He's having some struggles with moving the puck. I hope he can tighten that up, but he also showed some simple and solid movement yesterday too. Sure he has that time in the third (I think?) when he was making more turnovers than a baker, but he still managed well. 

The only courage he showed last night was when there was a linesman between him and Gud - and even then, you could see his impulse - and then thinking better of making anything of it.  (On that note, it was pretty funny to watch Gud one-hand Frolik into submission with little resistance from Frolik). 

As mentioned before, teams pay a big price for that type of presence on the ice, the team goes into the dirty areas much more now, and part of that is the resolve that a player like Guddy gives a team. There's no stats to measure that. 

Tanev has been moving the puck more since paired with Gudbranson. His pass to Horvat was awesome. Guddy helped to keep that puck in, but most just hyperfocus on his mistakes. Much like they did with Edler a few seasons back. I fully admit to doing that, but I learned my lesson. 

38 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Uhhh no thanks. He is lazy and entitled 

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

seriously though - not sure if serious.

Totally serious. Do you guys honestly think Erikson is better than Gagne?  The only reason Erikson is in the lineup over Gagne is because they aren't going to pay LE $7m to play in the minors. 

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That sounds like a pretty good D. I give credit to Stech and Hutt's play as of late. They've been playing amazingly.

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't get the Guddy hate here........he's not fleet of foot and he does get caught taking an extra half a second on passes in his own end, but no one ever said he was a top 2-3 dman who can play 23+ mins a night.  

Maybe it's big man envy lol.  Or an overbaked new-age thing....

I think people misunderstand the nature of #1, 2, 3 etc nowadays.

It's not that simple - and doesn't really make sense anymore.

Additionally - Gud is far more mobile than many people realize/perceive - his speed is actually quite good - but as is the case with really big guys, his pivots are not what Tanev is capable of - you give in one area to get in another.   Where Gud is also very adept is his reads - his defensive intelligence.   His puck moving is often under pressure - for him the object is often to simply achieve the clear  - and he's often paired with a recovering young project D (Hutton, Pouliot) who are trying to build confidence - when you see Gud with an Edler or Tanev, it becomes clearer how truly effective he is.

But the 2-3 thing - he is a 2-3 D - on the shutdown side, simple as that.

I think the 'better' way to look at it is to realize it's more complicated than 1,2,3,4....

There are your "top 4" offensive D (that are used in certain contexts) - there are your "top4" defensive D - it's situational - and your "two-way" D tend to wind up eating the most minutes whether or not they fall in the 1-2 of either of those situational uses - ie a #4 can wind up with more minutes than your 1/2 in either of those categories.... Stecher and/or Hutton may not be #1/2 but they may wind up in "1/2" volume minutes / particularly in the absence of a guy like Edler.

In any event, how well this blueline has held up this year is quite impressive considering losses of Edler and Tanev (which also overlapped with losses of Sutter and Beagle) - as bad as many people perceive Pouliot to be - and some 'analyticz' pretenders perceive Gud to be - the results would suggest that this team's blueline is nowhere near as bad as advertised (and has a couple guys like Hughes and Juolevi on the way, to boot).

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

It is fairly simple to explain, management told fans he would be a top 4 dman that is why they traded a 1rst round pick (McCann), a second round pick and a fourth round pick at a time that the team had only one young forward, Horvat.

They maintained this stature and signed him to low end top 4 money, the most they had paid except for Tanev.

And yes they put him up as a top dman until last year when the story changed to how good he is in the "room" and how much Florida missed him.

Apparently anyone who plays with him on defence has their stats go south.

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

you have to expect a counterpunch game against a team like Calgary when you're missing your #1D and another top 6 forward.

great  case of bending but not breaking last night.

Bending not breaking, I think the only guy that didn't take a break for awhile last night was Markstom, that domination was breaking, bending might be keeping shots low without many shots for, but for about 17 minutes in the second they were done.

Really bad news for them, Carlyle got canned and Getslaf  called out …...everyone, they now have four days rest to mull this over while waiting for the Nucks to show up.

Tryamkin will be icing on the cake, after OJ and Hughes arrive, and if Woo keeps doing his thing and improving, then Woo will be the cherry on top....there's time for everything, just need patience because our time is coming (in one or two years)...what is happening now is a surprise, especially with the state of our "D"....Marky is standing tall.

If the Canucks make the playoffs, then they will face either the Sharks or the Flames....I'm hoping the Flames because they match up better against the Flames than the Sharks....and Vegas might beat the Sharks, where the Canucks will have a better chance against Vegas...imo.

...having said this, this year I would not be disappointed if they did not make the playoffs because winning the lottery would also be nice as well.

Archived