The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Well yeah, I understand he's good defensively, but you don't usually pay a guy in a 4th line shutdown defensive role $7m a season ($8m the previous two seasons).  That isn't the role he was brought here for. He was supposed to be a first line guy scoring 30+ goals a season. That's what the expectation was. But yeah, we're stuck with him so I guess you gotta look on the bright side and say we have one of the best $7m dollar 4th liners in the league! :lol:

Cool story, show me a 4th line player who averages 14-18 minutes per game which as been his average since arriving here. 

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

In terms of mins he can play and be effective, I'd say he's a #3-5 dman.  As ON says, he might not be able to make as fast a pivot as a Tanev and his first pass might not be as good as we'd like, but he's good defensively, he's smart, he's a great leader and, most of all, he is deeply feared by the opposition.  That puts him into top 5 category, at least.

Personally, I think he or Edler should get the C

I don't think they will bench another 4 mil dollar contract, but his value on the ice is more as an enforcer. As far as Captain I don't see him here long term, his best showing was in the playoffs so maybe someone wants him, the Canucks would have to retain or take back a bad contract.

Edler has the same terms so not him either and as much as I think Horvat will get it, not yet. Maybe just keep going without one for awhile, nothing says the team fails if they don't have one, just a lot of extra work right now. 

5 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Well yeah, I understand he's good defensively, but you don't usually pay a guy in a 4th line shutdown defensive role $7m a season ($8m the previous two seasons).  That isn't the role he was brought here for. He was supposed to be a first line guy scoring 30+ goals a season. That's what the expectation was. But yeah, we're stuck with him so I guess you gotta look on the bright side and say we have one of the best $7m dollar 4th liners in the league! :lol:

Again, his salary is, and should be, irrelevant.  He plays hard mins against the other teams gest players, to me that is just as valuable as a player who gets points.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

I don't think they will bench another 4 mil dollar contract, but his value on the ice is more as an enforcer. As far as Captain I don't see him here long term, his best showing was in the playoffs so maybe someone wants him, the Canucks would have to retain or take back a bad contract.

Edler has the same terms so not him either and as much as I think Horvat will get it, not yet. Maybe just keep going without one for awhile, nothing says the team fails if they don't have one, just a lot of extra work right now. 

I see no scenario in the near future where they let Guddy go, by trade or letting him walk.  Aside from the fact that he's a solid dman, the fear he puts into other teams makes him almost untouchable, imo.

7 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yeah but McDavid and Matthews were 18 in their rookie year, whereas Petey was 19/20. It doesn’t take away anything from Petey (Ovi and Malkin were also 19/20), but it’s important to add context into stats. Petey is top 3 with McD and AM in future of the league players. 

McDavid is unarguably the best talent of his peer group (so far).  That said AM sophomore season and EPs rookie season (if we are going to compare ages), and Laines for that matter, lines up pretty well against so far.  And those guys play with some weapons too, especially on the PP.    And it wasn’t like EP didn’t have bad year draft plus one either, rookie of the year, regular season and playoff MVP in a league that most consider on par or better than the AHL.  

Petterson is one of the leagues best stories so far,  the best in a class that wasn’t supposed to have any top end talent.   Glad he’s ours, and glad we didn’t pick first too or we could be talking about Hirshier or Patrick instead.

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, he has taken over for both of them in many ways :lol:

I loved how scrappy he was at certain points last night, he doesn't want anyone to carry his water. Its a bit scary as he will put himself into riskier situations, but the kid seems to have that desire to go to tough areas, again much like the Sedins. 

yeah - he separated a couple significantly larger guys from the puck last night  - Neal being one that I remember clearly, wiping him on the boards down low (below his own goal) = did that a few times in the 3rd period.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I see no scenario in the near future where they let Guddy go, by trade or letting him walk.  Aside from the fact that he's a solid dman, the fear he puts into other teams makes him almost untouchable, imo.

Who plays? Who sits?

Edler

Tanev

Stecher

Hutton

Hughes

Groot

Woo

Gudbranson

Brisebois

Biega

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Who plays? Who sits?

Edler

Tanev

Stecher

Hutton

Hughes

Groot

Woo

Gudbranson

Brisebois

Biega

by the time woo gets here, one of Tanev or Edler will likely be gone.  I see them moving on from Stetch when/if Hughes catches.  Tryamkin is much closer to never returning than he is to returning

16 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I don't think they will bench another 4 mil dollar contract, but his value on the ice is more as an enforcer.

your grasp of reality is entertaining at least.

they'd have to bench one 4 million contract before they could bench "another" lol

An 'enforcer' that plays over 16 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey a night - while 3rd in penalty killing minutes on the blueline. 

I don't think you watched hockey in the enforcer era wadr.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Gudbranson

Brisebois/Biega as spares

Where is Woo? And Groot, he was much more involved in "protecting" and intimidating as well. Ever since he expressed he wanted to come back to Vancouver last summer his coach stripped him of the Captaincy, reduced his PP and regular ice time, someone has to go, there are other prospects as well as 7 more draft picks coming.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Where is Woo? And Groot, he was much more involved in "protecting" and intimidating as well. Ever since he expressed he wanted to come back to Vancouver last summer his coach stripped him of the Captaincy, reduced his PP and regular ice time, someone has to go, there are other prospects as well as 7 more draft picks coming.

Woo in Utica and until Tryamkin re-signs he's not on the team imo

Just now, oldnews said:

your grasp of reality is entertaining at least.

they'd have to bench one 4 million contract before they could bench "another" lol

An 'enforcer' that plays over 16 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey a night - while 3rd in penalty killing minutes on the blueline. 

I don't think you watched hockey in the enforcer era wadr.

Okay so Gagne is a little less 3.15 mil

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

Totally agree.  If Eriksson and Gagner both made the same amount of salary, I'd take Eriksson 100/100 times.  Is Eriksson overpaid for what he brings, most definitely.  But if you can't see that Eriksson is a much more complete player than Gagner will ever be, well that's you just hating on the guy for making a lot more money than you and I will ever see.

maybe you'll be the one to explain this argument, giver a try

17 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

14:36 avg this year 3rd?

Sounds about right. 11 minutes of 4th line time plus an extra 3 per game on the PK. 

His first season here he was playing top line minutes with the twins trying to 'jump start his offense', so averaging 18 per game. Obviously that never panned out.

Archived