The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Legend has it Canucks goaltender Jacob Markstrom lost 10 pounds in sweat alone in a game on February 9th, 2019

Also the legend has it that a few of his teammates have to give Marky those pounds back with their own flesh :P

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

He threw several

He's a feisty kid.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to round out his physical play too. He loves being the best at everything. If he puts on weight he could end up being a beast in that respect too.

Hes already a beast in most others so why not.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Who needs first overall, when you can draft a guy that should have been 1st overall. 

And before the draft last year I was saying Hughes was the best offensive defenseman in the draft! Man if I am right "wow" I am betting Hughes is a ppg player especially with Boeser and Pettersson on each side!

After a few tough losses this is a big character win. Banged up team without its best defenceman and the Canucks best players were better than the Flames best players. Gaudreau, arguably the best player in the world right now, stoned several times by Markstrom and Pettersson and Boeser simply out-played the Flames top line which has been the best in the league all season long. Against one of the best road teams and 3rd period teams in the league as well. Lots of big points out of tonight.

Markstrom obviously, best performance I have seen from him as a Canuck. Lots of high end chances by MVP-caliber players, that glove save on Gaudreau was probably the Canucks save of the year if you consider the quality it's coming from and time of the save. Statement save, statement game, he's proving he's a starting goaltender finally so we better run with it for as long as possible. 

Pettersson and Boeser were our best skaters and we needed them to be, every time Pettersson had the puck he just about created a chance, and in the end he seals the win for us in a tricky shootout. Leivo and Motte were brilliant and had a nice grinding game again, Horvat somehow generated some chances despite playing with essential AHL players (on most other teams), Goldobin fairly invisible, Virtanen had some nice chances but also some very bad mistakes and giveaways and penalties. I thought Eriksson was brilliant on the PK and that's about it.

On defence we desperately miss Edler clearly. Stecher was our best D-man for sure, some brilliant elusive skating against a very tiresome forecheck which caused problems for all our D-men, even Tanev surprisingly. Tanev and Gudbranson were a bit of an adventure at times to be honest. Gudbranson had a nice physical game but was caught flat footed several times by the fast Flames forwards and Biega and Pouliot were terrible, that giveaway goal was brutal. Really dumb penalty by Biega as well later on in the 3rd period that could have easily cost us 2 points. As much as he brings to the team, we have to remember he's a 7th defenceman for a reason.

On the whole, you have to say that this is a coaching win. Green goes into this game against one of the best teams in the league and gets the boys to play a grinding road-style game where we were outplayed for the most part but just kept hanging in there thanks to desperate defending, superb goaltending and then finally poke through with opportunistic offence. This is how we're going to win against the big teams, Green knows it and he's done it several times this season already. Absolute hats off to Green and Markstrom, sometimes a goalie makes a coach look good but I think tonight both of them deserve the congratulations. 

Just now, redhdlois said:

Please share !

If you say so!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a less deserved win

Non-playoff crud ass team propped up by their goalie. 

Meh screw it, the canucks are still an outside shot to make the playoffs. 

Bonus points to Randorf creaming his pants over Petterson, twat.

Neal lost teeth for nothing.

Can you imagine John Garrett and Dave Randorf calling a game?

Lol

Archived