The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ducks fire head coach Randy Carlyle

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

I hope Goldobin would be enough to get the convo started. The Ducks have stagnant O and one of the slowest teams in the game. Ritchie is just a whole lot of what makes them so one dimensional. At least Goldobin gives them a lil excitment. They have a similar stat line however Ritchie gives you those intangibles. 

Something along the lines of Goldy + 3rd.

They would not target Goldobin. Murray has been complaining about his team's lack of compete.  He thinks they are much better than they are showing but there's not a lot of resiliency to adversity.  

Goldobin has the same issues as Aberg and they traded him for an AHLer.  Aberg was 2nd in goals for the Ducks and still is (!) when he got traded for Justin Kloos.  Only 11 but in 37 games and on a team that can't score.  

Murray has never coaches before but he thinks it's the best way to get a better grasp of the situation.  

All quotes below from the Ducks twitter account:

#NHLDucks Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray:  "What bothered me the most was the lack of emotion, the lack of push back. This team has always been a pride team, and that went away. Nothing works if you lack hard work and emotion, and it wasn't there."

Murray, on his decision to step in as interim coach: "It's my job. I'm looking forward to figuring out what the issues are. One of the biggest things I have to determine is if we have people who can (lead). I haven't given up on them yet, but I'm worried."

Murray: "I don't think it would be fair to put anyone else in this position right now. I felt I needed to be in the trenches. I strongly felt this way. I know this is the right move for our organization right now."

Murray: "In order to win, you need to have people who aren't afraid of the adversity. That's what I'm looking for."

Murray: "This is not going to be that difficult, for me to have a relationship with the others. There are some players I know will have to get some confidence."

When you are so bad at your job the guy you are replaced with has 0 coaching experience. Was it this season where Getzlaf turned to Carlyle and said "pull the goalie"? LOL. I can't see this team doing any better after the firing, but it'll be interesting to see how the team plays with the GM behind the bench. How many people want to stay in Anaheim and will battle to stay there? Say what you will about the state of the team, but playing in sunny Anaheim sounds pretty nice.

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

When you are so bad at your job the guy you are replaced with has 0 coaching experience. Was it this season where Getzlaf turned to Carlyle and said "pull the goalie"? LOL. I can't see this team doing any better after the firing, but it'll be interesting to see how the team plays with the GM behind the bench. How many people want to stay in Anaheim and will battle to stay there? Say what you will about the state of the team, but playing in sunny Anaheim sounds pretty nice.

A cruise ship sinking in tropical waters is still sinking. 

I am surprised you'd think AV would make a good interm coach at least, and see if he can get the team rowing in the same direction. 

I don't think Anaheim is as bad as they have looked. A lot of their problems are coaching-related. They still have a 25 year-old franchise goalie, a 24-27 year-old solid top-4 D, and an aging but still effective 1C.

They may be able to get competitive again as soon as next year...but they're better off doing a rebuild. They could get quite the haul for one of their top-4 D, and then draw in Larsson or Mahura. Rakell would draw a lot of interest too. However, I could see them holding off - if they win the draft lottery and bring in Hughes, and add a good coach, they'll probably be back in the mix right away.

At the very least, they should be selling their impending UFA vets. There were rumours though that Anaheim was trying to re-sign Silfverberg - if that happens, then Murray really has lost the plot.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I don't think Anaheim is as bad as they have looked. A lot of their problems are coaching-related. They still have a 25 year-old franchise goalie, a 24-27 year-old solid top-4 D, and an aging but still effective 1C.

They may be able to get competitive again as soon as next year...but they're better off doing a rebuild. They could get quite the haul for one of their top-4 D, and then draw in Larsson or Mahura. Rakell would draw a lot of interest too. However, I could see them holding off - if they win the draft lottery and bring in Hughes, and add a good coach, they'll probably be back in the mix right away.

At the very least, they should be selling their impending UFA vets. There were rumours though that Anaheim was trying to re-sign Silfverberg - if that happens, then Murray really has lost the plot.

Silfverberg is having a bad year like a lot of Duck players. He's also 5 years younger than Getzlaf and Perry. I don't think he's the problem.

$20+ million locked in on Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler is the problem. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Silfverberg is having a bad year like a lot of Duck players. He's also 5 years younger than Getzlaf and Perry. I don't think he's the problem.

$20+ million locked in on Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler is the problem. 

He's not the problem, but he'll most certainly decline over the course of any contract they give him (assuming it has a decent term). They're better off trading him for pick/prospect(s), and bringing in younger players.

They're stuck with Getzlaf & Perry because they signed them long-term when they were Silfverberg's age. It made sense then, because the team was primed to contend over a large portion of those contracts. But then they did a similar thing this past offseason by extending Henrique, which looks terrible now (his 5-year, $5.825M per contract hasn't even started yet). No sense repeating the process with Sifverberg.

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

A cruise ship sinking in tropical waters is still sinking. 

I am surprised you'd think AV would make a good interm coach at least, and see if he can get the team rowing in the same direction. 

I don't think there is an interim guy out there that'd keep the ship from sinking. Some tire fires are just too big to put out with a coaching change. Regardless, Anaheim's season is done. Let Murray do nothing behind the bench. Sell Silfverberg for whatever young players/picks you can get. Draft Hughes, Kakko, Cozens or whoever. Start your rebuild. Maybe they can pull off a Boston and draft decently well here and get a quick turnaround. Montour, Lindholm, Sprong, Rakell, Manson, Ritchie and Gibson are still pretty young and a pretty good mix of guys to build around. 

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

I hope Goldobin would be enough to get the convo started. The Ducks have stagnant O and one of the slowest teams in the game. Ritchie is just a whole lot of what makes them so one dimensional. At least Goldobin gives them a lil excitment. They have a similar stat line however Ritchie gives you those intangibles. 

Something along the lines of Goldy + 3rd.

Or Virt and a prospect or pick?

4 minutes ago, skategal said:

Am I the only one surprised that Murray still has a job?  I thought he and Carlyle would get canned together, he's truly the architect of this tire fire.  

Murray just signed a 2 year extension in December.  His current contract runs until the end of next season so he's under contract until the end of 2021/22.

10 hours ago, mll said:

Murray has never coaches before but he thinks it's the best way to get a better grasp of the situation.  

All quotes below from the Ducks twitter account:

#NHLDucks Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray:  "What bothered me the most was the lack of emotion, the lack of push back. This team has always been a pride team, and that went away. Nothing works if you lack hard work and emotion, and it wasn't there."

Murray, on his decision to step in as interim coach: "It's my job. I'm looking forward to figuring out what the issues are. One of the biggest things I have to determine is if we have people who can (lead). I haven't given up on them yet, but I'm worried."

Murray: "I don't think it would be fair to put anyone else in this position right now. I felt I needed to be in the trenches. I strongly felt this way. I know this is the right move for our organization right now."

Murray: "In order to win, you need to have people who aren't afraid of the adversity. That's what I'm looking for."

Murray: "This is not going to be that difficult, for me to have a relationship with the others. There are some players I know will have to get some confidence."

Maybe its so he can get a feel of the team?

Or maybe its to save his own ass? ie; the owner peeved he has to pay Carlisles salary after they already fired him once?

The latter might have some merit. Who knows?

29 minutes ago, rekker said:

I could see AV as a nice fit with the Ducks.

Not after his comments just before getting fired by NYR.  

Don't think Murray wants a coach that will blame the roster.  In defending his record AV noted that the Canucks were on their 3rd coach and said maybe the coach was not the issue.

Archived